Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is old at being an 86 but was garaged for a couple decades so it wasn't exposed to elements. Still there is some deterioration from time, right?
I finally got my suspension worked out so I don't bottom out on big bumps but the front shocks are, in my opinion, sticky.

My old Honda's had reletively smooth shocks. You could add a few pounds and they would compress slightly but this bike takes considerably more to move and then it moves a minimum of 3 inches which leads to a sort of jerky feel when inching along in traffic.
Specifically I have a long downhill stretch that I sometimes have to "walk" the bike for up to a half mile. I usually shut down the engine and let gravity work for me with my feet for balance as needed. This makes me use the front brake and with the sticky forks it really dives when I apply the brakes.

What part of the forks need to be serviced to help this?

(In my old days I would spray the forks with a lubricant and it worked but I want to do it right now)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Progressive springs seem to the universally accepted upgrade here. But if they are acting sticky, I would consider the bushings bad or lousy oil. I would start with the cheapest easiest fix first. Drain and change the oil in the forks using a good oil. Check the owners manual for amount and type. Ride it a while and do it again. Might just be the oil has crapped out and you need to be clean. If that doesn't help you might need to get dirty and take apart and replace stuff. BTW, these forks aren't dirt bike forks and are way too soft for that.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Progressive springs seem to the universally accepted upgrade here. But if they are acting sticky, I would consider the bushings bad or lousy oil. I would start with the cheapest easiest fix first. Drain and change the oil in the forks using a good oil. Check the owners manual for amount and type. Ride it a while and do it again. Might just be the oil has crapped out and you need to be clean. If that doesn't help you might need to get dirty and take apart and replace stuff. BTW, these forks aren't dirt bike forks and are way too soft for that.
Hmmm, never changed the oil in forks before.
I doubt the bushings are bad as the bike only has 13,000 miles on it. Barely broke in as far as these bikes are concerned. But 25 year old oil sounds like a bad thing to have in the suspension.
Progressive suspension is an upgrade of the future. I don't mind the suspension on the front but the back really needs a more progressive setup. (but that's another subject entirely)

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
248 Posts
while we are on the subject where can i get some progressive shocks for the back of my 85 VT700

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
My bike is old at being an 86 but was garaged for a couple decades so it wasn't exposed to elements. Still there is some deterioration from time, right?
I finally got my suspension worked out so I don't bottom out on big bumps but the front shocks are, in my opinion, sticky.

My old Honda's had reletively smooth shocks. You could add a few pounds and they would compress slightly but this bike takes considerably more to move and then it moves a minimum of 3 inches which leads to a sort of jerky feel when inching along in traffic.
Specifically I have a long downhill stretch that I sometimes have to "walk" the bike for up to a half mile. I usually shut down the engine and let gravity work for me with my feet for balance as needed. This makes me use the front brake and with the sticky forks it really dives when I apply the brakes.

What part of the forks need to be serviced to help this?

(In my old days I would spray the forks with a lubricant and it worked but I want to do it right now)
Did you happen to do any servicing on this bike after 20 years in storage. Your problem is 30 year olf fork oil and seals, maybe rust pitted sliders? Drop new progressives in al you want wont fix "StickY", diving yeah. but then so will new oil, instead of the sludge that the old oil turned into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts