Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to grill and I love steaks. I've been meaning to try the oven method for the thicker ones and am wondering if anyone has done it. The method as I understand is something like this:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Brown steaks (sear) on each side then put them in the oven and turn the oven off. Wait a couple of minutes and then pull them out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I really should pay more attention when my husband cooks steak in the oven. lol! I know he sears and cooks them on high in the oven but I'm not sure if he turns the oven off. Depends on the thickness of the steak maybe? He's at work so I can't ask him.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Never cooked steaks in the oven. Might be worth trying. The wife generally cooks steaks in a skillet on the stovetop for a couple minutes each side, removes from heat and covers for a few more. She cooks with stainless cookware, unless a hurricane takes the power out. Then she cooks with cast iron over an open fire.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I sear thick steaks on the grill while preheating my sheet metal skillet. Then I put the steaks in the skillet with a pat of butter on top and cover them with alum. foil then bake about 15 mins., remove to rest about 5 mins. Thick cut ribeye is my favorite so far. I done thick fillets last WE and they were good but just ain't as good as ribeye to me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies, I use the grill every chance I get. Pre "K" (Katrina) I had a gas grill and now I have a Weber (charcoal) one. I'm pretty good at grilling things (except for pork chops, I always over cook them) because I generally place the coals on one side and have a cool side to put things that are getting too hot.

The reason I'm thinking about the oven method is to get closer to what the restaurants do. From what I hear, they have 1800 degree ovens which can sear and cook the thicker cuts.

·
Banned
956 Posts
BBQ them or leave them at the store.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've put them under the broiler - don't need to sear.

But I have a gas oven, so it's almost like grilling them on the BBQ.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i hav broiled them too, works good, but hard to beat the grill....i heard someone on the food network say if u close the lid on the grill its baking, its only grilling if the lid is open.....dont know if thats right tho

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't use a grill - don't even own one. I have the gas ring for my turkey fryer though. I have a cast iron grill pan that I put on the ring and crank up the heat. When that is good and hot I put the steak in..wait a minute...turn 45 degrees...another minute...flip...another minute...turn 45...drop heat and go do something else for about 3-5 minutes. Remove and cover to rest for about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I don't use a grill - don't even own one. I have the gas ring for my turkey fryer though. I have a cast iron grill pan that I put on the ring and crank up the heat. When that is good and hot I put the steak in..wait a minute...turn 45 degrees...another minute...flip...another minute...turn 45...drop heat and go do something else for about 3-5 minutes. Remove and cover to rest for about 3 minutes.

Danmit man, you're cooking when we go to Marks house. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Gas grill is on the screened in porch. I have it hooked up to the house propane tank so I don't have to mess with changing tanks. I grill steak every Saturday night(actually at about 3am Sunday morning after I get home from the bar). Never tried cooking a steak in the oven. Willie probably microwaves steak. :lol::lol::p

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
10 year old gas grill (my wife calls it my "ghetto grill", cause it's old and I keep it working...) with fresh lava rock every spring. Sear them first, then throw water-soaked mesquite chips on the lava rock. Gives the steaks a nice smokey flavor to them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts