Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Just wanted to tell you my little story of exhaust mods on my '06 Shadow Spirit 750...

...few months ago I did the hole saw mod and took out the resonators. It made the bike much louder and gave it a bark... it also gave me headaches when riding :( and though I was hoping for that HD sound, I got more of a hollow bark. At times almost embarrassing. Well, I decided to shop for stock exhaust and couldn't find any, so I had a friend of mine weld the resonators back in. Problem was I didn't take the exhaust off, so he had to work it directly on the bike, hence only a few weld points.

Anyways, even with the extra opening at the exhaust (since he wasn't able to close it all off) the bike sounds MUCH better. The rumbling had been toned down by good 75% at least, and she's back to sounding like a Honda Civic :)

So, let this be a warning to all who think hole saw will give you deep rumble HD style sound. It will not.

Here's my without baffles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GENxeLXIxP4

See attached pics of the weld job. I put some high heat paint over it after i cleaned it off with metal brush btw. It almost looks "by design" :p

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your story sounds exactly like my own. I found the hole sawed pipes sounded hollow, tinny and harsh (horrible actually). Had the resonators tack welded back in and it sounds much better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you truely want the HD sound... You have to buy an HD. Try a set of aftermarket pipes and you may find a sound a little better on your ears.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for that information, because I had considered trying the hole saw mod. Also, I've heard that drilling 5/16" holes in the flat plate gives a more pleasant sound. I assume you could control how loud by how many holes your drill. Have you heard of that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that information, because I had considered trying the hole saw mod. Also, I've heard that drilling 5/16" holes in the flat plate gives a more pleasant sound. I assume you could control how loud by how many holes your drill. Have you heard of that?
Look at my attached pics, that's basically what I have now, or an equivalent of a lot of holes drilled :) It sound different than stock, pleasant, with out the hollow choppy lawn mower with busted muffler sound of the hole saw mod.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats the thing, the hole saw mod was only for a cheap way to get some volume and a bit more power. It was never meant as a replacement for good pipes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks, I may try drilling one hole in each plate and see what it's like, then maybe more.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When I bought my 04 Spirit the previous owner had drilled holes in the backs of the pipes. To me it sounded like an exhaust system with holes in it. I put metal screws in the holes to plug them and for me it sounded better and I gained some more low end torque.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Been there done that on my '04 Sabre 1100. It was simply to loud for me and expensive to get new mufflers to replace what I did to the originals. In removing the baffles, they were beyond reinstalling them and I was not satisfied until it was back to stock. In contradiction, many others liked the LOUD sound and open look. Different strokes for different folks. I'm reminded of this err on my part every time I see my mistake sitting high on a shelf in my utility building.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don't know whether it's because my mufflers have a "Catalytic Convertor" in them or what, but I really like the sound I'm getting from the holesaw mod I did to my 2010 750 ShadowC2...
As for the loudness, I find that when I'm cruising at a constant speed, it's fairly quiet and gives a deep rumble but not too loud a sound when I power on.

I did a write up on how I did mine "From Stock to Holesaw and Back Again" and the different levels on how to do it...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have heard good and bad about the sound quality with the hole saw mod.
I tried drilling a few holes like mention above and found this to be perfect for my bike, a 94 1100. I started drilling them out a little at a time and when I got to this point I stopped. I like the sound now. It is sounds great now with a slightly deeper sound but nothing like open pipes or baffles removed.

I was also concerned about getting stopped for open or loud exhaust. This mod has worked out great and no carb adjustments were needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts