Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that the license plate bracket on my phantom is pretty cheesy. I didn't think too much of it until I went on a long ride in the rain last weekend. I got home and then the next day noticed that my license plate was missing - fallen off I guess.

I spent the next afternoon going to the DMV, being sent to get a police report, going back to the DMV, paying some moola, getting a new plate, going to the dealership for a new bracket, asking for bigger washers to hold it in place better, and then noticing that the bolts could still pull through the plastic brackets even with the washers.

I decided to make a trip to the hardware store for even bigger washers later...

But didn't go yet...

Today I rode to the gym and when I arrived, I noticed that - MY NEW PLATE WAS MISSING!!!!!! DAMN!!! And now the DMV is closed until Monday, so no more riding this beautiful weekend!! I drove my route twice in my car to try to find the plate - no such luck...

My question - what are you guys using to hold your license plates on? I can't afford the time or money to do this on a weekly basis!! Not that I mind the DMV - the paint there is particulary exciting to watch as it dries...

Thanks...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seriously, wow. Did the plate hardware come on the bike when you bought it? When I picked mine up, the license plate was already on and off I went. Haven't thought about it since. Same bike as yours, but no problems here,

I agree that the taillight and plate holder are very awkward. Wish they could be more like the Phantom and go under the rear lip of the fender. I'd go all McGuyver on it, but plastic does not lend itself to modification.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup - the dealer put it on originally. I caught it a couple of times hanging on one corner, but it never came off before. Basically, the nuts on the back could push their way through the slits made to hold the plate. I intended to put some washers on, but never got around to it... :(

When the first one came off, I complained to the dealer and they gave me washers to put on the new plate which I did. When I tugged at it to test, the washers could still push through the plastic slits, but not easily so I figured I'd have a little time to get bigger washers this weekend - apparently not...

It's the only thing so far that I don't like about my bike... :( I got up early this AM to retrace my route one more time hoping to find the plate. Needle in a haystack with 10 miles of highway... Oh well - would have been nice to ride this weekend... :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
So I noticed that the license plate bracket on my phantom is pretty cheesy. I didn't think too much of it until I went on a long ride in the rain last weekend. I got home and then the next day noticed that my license plate was missing - fallen off I guess.

I spent the next afternoon going to the DMV, being sent to get a police report, going back to the DMV, paying some moola, getting a new plate, going to the dealership for a new bracket, asking for bigger washers to hold it in place better, and then noticing that the bolts could still pull through the plastic brackets even with the washers.

I decided to make a trip to the hardware store for even bigger washers later...

But didn't go yet...

Today I rode to the gym and when I arrived, I noticed that - MY NEW PLATE WAS MISSING!!!!!! DAMN!!! And now the DMV is closed until Monday, so no more riding this beautiful weekend!! I drove my route twice in my car to try to find the plate - no such luck...

My question - what are you guys using to hold your license plates on? I can't afford the time or money to do this on a weekly basis!! Not that I mind the DMV - the paint there is particulary exciting to watch as it dries...

Thanks...
Look at the bright side when i had my bike at the dealer having the service guy look at a couple issues i was having >,> he noticed the temp tag was a little crooked as he was messing with it he accidentally pulled it off, they didn't even stick those fraking rubber plugs on it, and aside from the one time my buddy pointed out i was about to loose my plate i haven't had any problems But if you come up with a system that works LET ME KNOW :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Use bigger washers that won't pull through the plastic, and eventually, get yourself a metal mount.
Oh yeah, put a booger on the screw.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.