Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ACE VT750CD2
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to store my bike in a couple weeks or so and I have a couple questions, as this is my first year. It is being stored indoors (large shed that has electricity) with a battery tender and I am going top get fresh gas in it first as well. I have a 2001 Shadow A.C.E. VT750.

I have some fuel stabilizer that I am going to use and the guy at the shop said to find some non-ethanol fuel for it. There is a place here that has non-ethanol fuel but I believe it is higher octane. Is that going to make a difference? I don't use it currently because it is higher octane but I want to do the best for the bike.

Looking at the weather, there is a few good days left but far and few between.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
211 Posts
The only other things that come to mind (i ride whenever i can) would be full tire pressure to keep tires from flatspotting and plug the tail pipes and tape over air filter(moisture and critters.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Maybe an oil and filter change to get the bad chemicals out of the crankcase.

Might be a good idea to put it on blocks to take the weight off the tires, to keep it from flat spotting them.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oil Change
Non-Ethanol gas (fill the tank)
Stabilizer in gas
Take battery in your basement and keep it on a trickle maintainer if you can (Battery Tender)
Cover with 100% cotton sheet
Mice proof the area. Set some traps, small lids filled with straight Pine Sol, peppermint oil, etc.
Depending on type of floor in shed, I`d have the tires on some plywood , styrofoam, or something.
If you can, check on it once or twice a month to add Pine Sol and reset mouse traps.

·
Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
246 Posts
Give her a nice wash, add stabilizer then go out for a "last" ride before winterizing. On your way home top off the tank and depending on how long the ride is maybe add more stabilizer for the recommended mix.
I'll park, shut the petcock off and let the engine run the gas in the carbs out.

I pretty much do what all the guys are suggesting. Oil change, I put a 2'x8' sheet of plywood down over the concrete garage floor, battery in the house on a trickle charger, block the end of my pipes and put a MC cover (came with bike) over. And then I'm depressed for the next few days...need to look into @punxsybob 's recomedation!

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,207 Posts
I have been putting bikes and other vehicles into storage for 6 - 8 months for about 50 years and here is my procedure for motorcycles:

1. Change the oil and filter unless recently done.
2. Ride to the closest Top Tier fuel station. Dump in the correct amount Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer.
3. Fill with a higher octane fuel such as PON 91 or 93. I don't worry about E10 or not and have often used E10
4. Ride home. Wash, Wax, Dry. Cover
. I disconnect battery but I do not use a tender until the day before I ride in the Spring.
. If you rode home more than a few miles, get a spare plastic gas can and top up your fuel.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,267 Posts
I put mine into “storage” I’ll ride any time it’s over 40 degrees even if it’s just to the corner store and back so that everything keeps moving, luckily where I live even in winter we’ll get some random 40-50F degree days after a week that ends in 40” of snow so I don’t really ever go more than a month without starting and riding it at least 10-20 miles, for “worst case scenario” I keep a gas can in the garage with 2+ gallons of pre-stabilized fuel so if we have a few weeks or a month of 30 or below temps with snow I can at least top off the tank. Bike always sits on the battery tender any time it’s parked and I’ve got a temperature controlled garage so unless the power goes out it’s never under 50F in there.

·
Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
246 Posts
LOL.... I would love to but here in New Hampshire the snow flies in November
I'm sure you got it worse than me but I feel your pain. I've picked up some cold weather clothes to extend the season a bit but its the dang sand/salt all over the roads that takes away some of the fun for me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hearing that makes me glad to be in Texas! In the gulf coast area, it rarely gets too cold to ride for more than a week straight.
But 4 months per year it's too hot & humid to walk across the street. : ) Yes, I would take TX over NH any day but not because of the weather. Texas has the worst weather of all 50 states.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hello.
I will give you my take on things. Im sure there will be different opinions but from my experience of rebuilding two bikes a 1975 Honda CB550F supersport and a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC both left for dead by previous owners.

1st consider how long it will sit without running it at all. If you don't plan to turn it on and run it for 20min every few weeks but rather sit for a month or more then that will depend on what you want to do.

Fuel stabalizers or Sta-bul additives leave behind residue. With a carb this may be worse than just letting it sit with gas.

Sea foam or the like are good cleaners when run through the system right away. But allowed to sit long enough they leave deposits which can crud up a carb or filter.

I live in San Antonio and garage kept. So my temps are cold but not freezing. Gas if in a closed system like a fuel tank with the petcock closed and the carb fuel bowls drained will be fine for a month even two. It may be a bit hard to start at first though

Now filling the tank up to the brim with the high octane gas will help reduce moisture from whatever air is trapped in the remaining space.

What I have done every year for the month its actually too cold to ride I fill it up all the way and i drain the carb. I give it a fuel starts to burn off whatever is left. That way no dried fuel is there to leave a lacquer of sort behind that could clog it up.

After a month I will open the petcock and let it suck in the fuel for a bit then open the chock and start. I have been able to start it every time albeit with a few spits and sputters.

I let it warm up and have a fan blowing over the front radiator while it idles in my garage. No problems after that. Check all the usuals and get it ready for the new season.

If its been longer i will pull the fuel line after the filter and pour some fresh gas in so the carb can fire up easily and then let the tank fuel suck through. Maybe even add some fresh gas to the tank and shake it up.

However if gas is not s problem. Drain it and use it for the lawn mower and put in fresh gas.

If your talking 3 or 4 months, i would drain all the gas and leave the tank open and dried out with no cap and petcock open, pack it away ina dry place. Drain the carb completely and that way come 3 months your going with fresh gas and no problems. Just my take on it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My bikes take a 4 month nap every winter. Since 1972 I've never done anything but keep the battery charged. Can't see why I would do anything else.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,207 Posts
I knew I had this video around somewhere. I took a lot of razzing for the shaky video (suggestion I get a job as a paint shaker), however it does confirm my storage procedure in post #9 of this thread and no carb draining involved. I have never had a problem with any stored vehicle flat-spot tires so I do nothing with them.

The video is of my 25 year old VT1100C2 (bought new) that is stored every year for 6-8 months (Sept-Apr). Note the AGM-type battery gets charged just 10 minutes before starting. That battery was 8 years old when the video was made and is still in the bike. The engine took about 7 seconds to start and then held a good idle after 15 seconds. Choke off at 40 seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts