Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Aero 750
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you are 200 miles out on a 500 mile trip and your rear tire goes flat.

1. You are on the side of the road.
2. It's mid -day clear weather.
3. You are riding a Shadow that is very complicated to remove/replace the rear tire.
4. The nearest town/city is approx 30 miles away and you dont know anyone there.
5. You have a cellphone.

What would you do?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
I have tubeless tires since the bike has alloy wheels.
So I have a tire plug kit and a small CO2 tire inflator with extra CO2 canisters.
But if you have tube tires then that won't help.
Some guys have sealed the rims and put on tubeless tires.
OR-
Cell phone and AAA towing.
Or no AAA and call a towing company and have towing on your insurance policy .

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It happened to me. *

Tube tires, so not much chance of a DIY roadside repair.
Roadside Assistance is your new best friend.
Just make sure to let them know you have a motorcycle when you call it in so they send the proper equipment to haul your bike.

*twice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
do a search for the closest motorcycle shops and start calling around. some of the shops around my area have a pickup service for getting work done to your bike. not everyone who has a bike has a trailer or even anything to hook a trailer too. so if your like alot of riders and want to get your bike serviced before the riding season actually starts you need a way to get it to thier shop. outside of that ive heard the fixaflat junk in a can can sometimes keep enough air even in a tubed tire for you to milk yourself to where you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Aero 750
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at this:
AAA Motorcycle covers the member with four additional roadside assistance calls just for their motorcycle. Included are towing up to 100 miles, delivering a sufficient amount of free fuel to enable the member to reach the nearest service station, air for their tires, a second truck and operator for up to one hour to assist at the scene in complicated extrication cases, and trailer coverage whether the bike is on a trailer or pulling one behind. Motorcycle members also are entitled to reimbursement up to $75 for locksmith services and up to $1,000 in Motorcycle Travel Interruption benefits. Certain restrictions apply to some of the benefits. Click here for a complete grid of motorcycle benefits.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm looking at this:
AAA Motorcycle covers the member with four additional roadside assistance calls just for their motorcycle. Included are towing up to 100 miles, delivering a sufficient amount of free fuel to enable the member to reach the nearest service station, air for their tires, a second truck and operator for up to one hour to assist at the scene in complicated extrication cases, and trailer coverage whether the bike is on a trailer or pulling one behind. Motorcycle members also are entitled to reimbursement up to $75 for locksmith services and up to $1,000 in Motorcycle Travel Interruption benefits. Certain restrictions apply to some of the benefits. Click here for a complete grid of motorcycle benefits.
I have done a ton of 2 wheeled cruising. I've never had any problems. With that said, I would never take off for a trip of any distance without having some kind of roadside assistance insurance. I live in the west so cell service is non-existent in many areas so prepping your bike before leaving home is a necessity. Flat tires can happen, but don;t happen anywhere near as often to good quality tires. Some folks I know have used a version of slime that has chunks of rubber in it and it held on a motorcycle tubed tire. To get you that 30 miles in your post, that might do the trick if it's a simple puncture flat.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I also carry a plug kit and co2 cartridges on the bikes with tubeless tires. For the tubed ones there's AMA membership with roadside assist.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,129 Posts
I’d call AAA since I opt in for the motorcycle coverage too, I’ve been a member for something like 20 years and it’s always been good to have. Might not use it much, but when you need it wow does it make things easier. AAA gets real mad if you call them to move a project car with no engine in it though, learned that the hard way... Hey I have free tows and technically the car was broken down-ish.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good post, it's crossed my mind a couple times, since most of us have no centre stand pulling pulling a wheel off at the roadside is mostly out of the question for a puncture.
I'm glad you posted this, it has me seriously thinking about it now.
I most likely have tubes because my ace has spoke rims, I doubt the PO would have popped for a tubeless conversion.
Welp now I know what I'm going to do with my tax refund, ( look into options)
Double check my insurance polices been so long can't remember if I have towing or not.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I filled my tires with sealant and never had a flat.I did one time forget to reset my fuel petcock and ran out about a mile from the gas station, A State Trooper picked me up after he told me I couldn't park on the interstate access area.We went and got gas and he took me back then pretended to write me a ticket,he new my neighbor after he saw my address on the registration card, she was another State tropper and said he had been by my house and saw the Honda ACE there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have coverage on my Insurance.....pay for it, might as well use it

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Aero 750
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a bottle of "ride on" and it supposed to seal nail holes etc as well as balance the tire. It has been getting good reviews even for tube type tires. At $18 a bottle I dont know whether to drink it or put it in my tires.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just ordered a couple CO2 inflators and cartridges, I've had good luck with tire slime in my work truck tires, so for now I'll make a kit out of those, then for long trips I'll make a bigger kit, tubes, patches, tire irons and I have a few ideas for a lightweight folding stand/ jack or a concealed powered or manual centre stand, I've seen Goldwings with electric centre stands.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,129 Posts
Just ordered a couple CO2 inflators and cartridges, I've had good luck with tire slime in my work truck tires, so for now I'll make a kit out of those, then for long trips I'll make a bigger kit, tubes, patches, tire irons and I have a few ideas for a lightweight folding stand/ jack or a concealed powered or manual centre stand, I've seen Goldwings with electric centre stands.
Pack Jack or Snap Jack is what you want, I’ve seen people make adapters that fit around the swing arm to allow rear wheel removal. Gets the rear tire a few mm off the ground, which works for mostly open rear fenders. Full rear fenders I have no idea what I’d do for a portable, probably bring along the tools to remove the fender as well. I’ve also seen people pull the bike up onto the side stand and wedge a vertical 2x4 under the swing arm to get the rear tire off but that’s a two man job.

Reactions: KiwiRider

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,283 Posts
It happened to me. *

Tube tires, so not much chance of a DIY roadside repair.
Roadside Assistance is your new best friend.
Just make sure to let them know you have a motorcycle when you call it in so they send the proper equipment to haul your bike.

*twice.

As Valkyries don't fit on 8 ft. trailers! Its all all they had. Quite the towing company.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
402 Posts
I carry a tire repair kit that includes tire plugs, valve cores and an air pump. If the tire is beyond a simple repair, I carry tie-down straps in case of being trailered to a repair shop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts