Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I've belonged to AAA for over 55 years. My 600 Shadow has only left me stranded once. Diaphragm in the AFV failed. I made sure AAA knew it was a motorcycle and they sent a rollback with special channel and straps.

I cannot say enough good things about AAA road service. I threw the serpentine belt on my Chev 2500HD diesel while towing a 34' Airstream trailer. AAA sent a truck with a rollback AND a trailer hitch.

Reactions: punxsybob

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Say you are 200 miles out on a 500 mile trip and your rear tire goes flat.

3. You are riding a Shadow that is very complicated to remove/replace the rear tire.
Depends on a few things. If I am able to get the bike on the centre stand I can remove the wheel - on my Shadows removing the rear wheel is quite easy, and why I love shaft drives :)

If I have new tyres, I will want to protect them. If I have tyres I am close to replacing, and no other options, I will slowly ride to the town. That also depends on the sort of road, some of our more interesting roads aren't safe for slower vehicles as few drivers are smart enough to consider that there might be something around the corner they can't see. If only they drove 'to the vanishing point' :(

If I have a pump with me (common in my tool kit) and it was a slow leak, I will pump the tyre up, ride some, pump it some. I should easily get 10 miles on a slow leak.

If I have a plug kit (which I've not had since sometime between '05 and '10, got one yesterday), look to fix the leak then pump the tyre up.

In the unlikely event I have insurance, I might consider a call out, but my experience with towies and bikes is not good. As others mentioned, I might call a local bike shop if there is one in the town, and see what they can do, but it is not likely I could pay for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You fly 16 hours north to buy and drive home a used bike. It dies 7 hours north and will not start. What do you do. Call the only buddy with a truck and trailer dumb enough to help. Still throwing it in his face 2 years later. 1995 BMW Rockster with 100K on it.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I`d place my helmet on the ground, a few paces back of the bike..
This is the sign that you`re in need of assistance It spells > HELP...
CMA has a coin they give away whenever they set up, it has a 1-800- number you call and CMA members will HELP any way they can too...
I carry one of these at all times, whether on the Bike or traveling in the "Magic bus"

Of course I`d also fix whatever problem myself,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You fly 16 hours north to buy and drive home a used bike. It dies 7 hours north and will not start. What do you do. Call the only buddy with a truck and trailer dumb enough to help. Still throwing it in his face 2 years later. 1995 BMW Rockster with 100K on it.
Where I live, I almost couldn't walk 16 hours north, let alone fly! :) It's 5pm just now, I'm near the southern end of my land. I think I could jump on my bike now, ride as far south as I can, then turn around and ride as far north, and be out of road by Midnight (depending on traffic).

A couple of hours north and I'd be looking for alternatives to transporting the bike. If I cross the ditch to the other island, then I'd be planning to have insurance that will pay for the trip.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts