Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Can someone help point me in the right direction?
Having issues with the turn signals. Since I bought it a while back I haven't had working blinkers, finally getting around to putting some work into it.

Front ones are on, rear off. If I try to turn , the reverse blinker turns on. So like if I click right, then front right will work but left rear will blink.
So I tried switching the wires at the light bucket and it didn't work right either.
I figured maybe it could be the blinker relay under the tank, so I replaced that, but it doesn't work either.
Is there anything else I should be checking?

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,144 Posts
Could you expand on this a little? I'm confused. Are you saying that opposite lights are blinking?

Switch right = right front blinks and left rear blinks.

Switch left = left front blinks and right rear blinks?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,033 Posts
If you have a manual see what the color wires are. If someone had put in 2 filament sockets and bulbs in back instead of the single filament turn signal bulb, that may have confused the wiring. Normally the rear are turn signal only,with a single filament bulb, and the fronts have running lights and turn signals with 2 filament bulbs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you expand on this a little? I'm confused. Are you saying that opposite lights are blinking?

Switch right = right front blinks and left rear blinks.

Switch left = left front blinks and right rear blinks?
Yes exactly that. So that's why I thought that the wires were crossed, but the colors match up in the bucket. Crossing them makes the opposite side turn off instead of staying on.
Normal = Switch right = front and rear right blink, left front stays on .
Crossing wires = switch right = front and rear right blink, left front turns off.

If you have a manual see what the color wires are. If someone had put in 2 filament sockets and bulbs in back instead of the single filament turn signal bulb, that may have confused the wiring. Normally the rear are turn signal only,with a single filament bulb, and the fronts have running lights and turn signals with 2 filament bulbs.
ok good idea! It doesn't appear that the rear are on normally, only when i hit turn switch, so I don't think they replaced with 2 filament but i'll double check.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Yes exactly that. So that's why I thought that the wires were crossed, but the colors match up in the bucket. Crossing them makes the opposite side turn off instead of staying on.
Normal = Switch right = front and rear right blink, left front stays on .
Crossing wires = switch right = front and rear right blink, left front turns off.
If by normal, you mean that's what your bike is doing.... then that's the way they are supposed to work.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If by normal, you mean that's what your bike is doing.... then that's the way they are supposed to work.
I meant that's what I know it should be doing, but it's doing the cross blinking.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Swap the rear turn signal stems with the wires still attached. That way when you switch right, instead of the front right blinking and left rear blinking.... both right sides will blink correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
If you don't want to swap the stems and lights, then simply cut the power wire to each rear light and swap the power wires. I'm betting money at one time that's how things got messed up.

It's a simple fix.

·
Registered
16,811 Posts
You done checked for proper wires are plugged into the same color...
Front & Rear??
On mine Orange wires & blue wires are left & right...
Make sure they are on the same sides...
I`d be checking for wire repair made by someone...

BUT Yeah, I`m a tad bit confused too,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I'm not confused any more. The problem is at the back of the bike. Either the rear signals are plugged into the wrong connectors, someone swapped out the rear signal light stems (left to right), or they wired in new signal lights incorrectly. One way or another, it is an easy fix.

The front wiring connectors don't play much role in it because he said pushing the switch right makes the right front signals work correctly. The problem is at the back end of the bike in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not confused any more. The problem is at the back of the bike. Either the rear signals are plugged into the wrong connectors, someone swapped out the rear signal light stems (left to right), or they wired in new signal lights incorrectly. One way or another, it is an easy fix.

The front wiring connectors don't play much role in it because he said pushing the switch right makes the right front signals work correctly. The problem is at the back end of the bike in my humble opinion.
My bad, it's actually front ones that are 'swapped'. So i click right on the switch, the rear right and the front left will blink.
I will confirm though, every wire is correctly plugged in. I checked the connectors inside the headlight bucket, the connectors inside the little white box under the gas tank, and the bundle under the seat, as well as the soldered connections on the switch itself. The entire bundle of wires appears to be factory and all the cables seem to be tamper free (I was looking for somewhere someone could have spliced into.
So here's the kicker - I tried to swap connections on one or the other end, but doing so always ended with some problem or another. For example- switching right - both right blinked, but the front left running light would die.

Anyway - I was finally able to swap a pin in the connection inside the white box under the tank - that got both my lefts to work together and both the right together..... the only problem now is that if I click left on switch, both rights work. If I click right on switch, both lefts start flashing LOL.
I can live with this for now for the sake of having functioning turn signals, will just have to remember to flip the opposite switch until i can figure what's else i need to do

Reactions: Troy Jollimore
1 - 13 of 13 Posts