Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I blew a hole in my piston.......can I jb weld it?I dropped an aluminum nut down the intake and tried to run it out.it's aluminum so I think it's soft enough

Just kidding,we all know jb weld sucks......besides duct tape works better
Here's what's up
The issue happened twice already,once when I really got on the throttle going up an overpass and yesterday on flat road going slow

Hard to explain what happens but here's what it feels link
01 shadow spirit 1100 shafty
Twice it felt like a chain driven bike with slack in the chain and the slack cause the bike the jerk several times under load

Now that what it feels like,sorta like bucking but it's a shaft drive
I just had the carbs cleaned and sync'd,new plugs and filters.
9xxx miles
It only happened twice in the past month.
Is the engine missing?
Once was while speeding up hard,once was speeding up slowly
A pulsating jerking that last about 20 seconds

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Good one, I really bought the jb line!

Your bike could be running lean in the mid range. I have had strange sensations from this condtion like the engine was mildly coughing. Mid range is controlled by the vacuum sliders. Perhaps there is a hole in one of the diaphrams. Or there is a air leak between the carbs and the engine.

Have you changed the bikes breathing; new exhaust or airfilter since this started? A plug color check may help diagnose if it is a lean problem. Good luck, Dave

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Great opener!

Are you in 5th gear, by chance? I have the same thing happen with my bike once in a while, I have decided it is "not quite" in gear. Like it slips a cog or two, then grabs, resulting in a surge. At first hint of slipping, I clutch it, and kick it in 5th again, to make sure it is in gear. That usually stops it.
I have noticed that it usually happens when I casually shift through the gears and should be kicking it like I have spurs on my heels.
Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats what my bike has been doin but worse. Only got it mostly better today when i synced the carbs. After several cleanings, new plugs,new vacuum slide on the front carb, redoing the carb so the right jets were in the right carb (someone before me mixed them up)
It still does it a bit now bit nowhere near as bad as it was, itwas bucking and jerking every gear but first when you would crack the throttle from cruise.
Now its just mostly a vibration and only bucks when its cold now

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Sounds like you may be lugging the engine a bit. The twin-pin 1100 likes to rev and will protest (bucking) if you lug it too much. Try dropping a gear in these situations and letting it rev out more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not from lugging
First time was high rev 4th gear and second I was cruising at 55 5th gear

I'll try the gear thing out,when it does it it doesn't last long though
The bike is stock minus the exh. Baffles,didn't have en when I bought em

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not from lugging
First time was high rev 4th gear and second I was cruising at 55 5th gear

I'll try the gear thing out,when it does it it doesn't last long though
The bike is stock minus the exh. Baffles,didn't have en when I bought em
55 in 5th gear .... that doesn't seem right to me I don't get in to 5th until 75 mph just as overdrive . if I need to speed up I drop back down to 4th,

1st goes to about 20-30 if you are not afraid 2nd can easily take you to 45-50.

I used to think my 1100c was slow until I let it rev much higher thru the gears,

Try it , Try the simple stuff first. It is the 1st rule of trouble shooting, Let us know what happens ,

Also the splines in the hub or the rear wheel are known to wear down and break . have you check the condition of those splines?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
55 in 5th gear .... that doesn't seem right to me I don't get in to 5th until 75 mph just as overdrive . if I need to speed up I drop back down to 4th,

1st goes to about 20-30 if you are not afraid 2nd can easily take you to 45-50.

I used to think my 1100c was slow until I let it rev much higher thru the gears,

Try it , Try the simple stuff first. It is the 1st rule of trouble shooting, Let us know what happens ,

Also the splines in the hub or the rear wheel are known to wear down and break . have you check the condition of those splines?
What kind of bike do you have? Stock sprocket and chain, drive shaft?
my bike is way different than your bike, I shift to 5th around 55 or so. If I was doing 75 in 4th, my bike would be screaming in pain, it seems.
Above 75 or so, in 5th gear, my rpms are high enough that I wish I had an overdrive 6th gear.
Dan

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
It's more than likely the u-joint unwinding and then catching back up. My Sabre's done it a few times. It could also be the rubber snubbers in the rear hub going bad. Several riders have found that they break down after a while and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'll just throw something electrical into the pot to see if it sparks.

I had my carbs worked on a couple times before discovering I had a cracked diode in my left rear spark plug wire. It would disconnect in a certain RPM range that had my mechanic thinking it was a stuck slide. Roll the throttle (cough) and then go.

He disassembled the end of the spark plug wire and replaced the diode with one from a box of spare parts and the stumble is gone. No charge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.