Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my pre ride inspection today before taking off for my 100 miles plus pleasure cruise. I noticed something very odd, or at least I thought it odd. I have the original Dunlop n the front still and the dragoon has just turned 14k miles. So, in the right hand side of the tread pattern, it seemed to have many miles left on it. On the left hand side, it seems to have next to none. I cant complain about getting 14k miles out of the stock tire, but I am wondering if this is a tell tale sign of an issue with the front end. I don’t THINK I have been turning left only but I do think that maybe they did not set the front end up during the PDI. Any ideas

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Not only making more left turns will do it, but the most all roads have a crown in them for water drainage.

You're constantly riding on an uneven surface, riding up the side of the crown.
Since the US drives on the right side of the road, the crown wear on a tire
will be on the left side.
You''ll actually be leaning slightly to the left while riding...you just don't realize it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This has been discussed a couple of times before (it appears to be common on heavy cruisers - I don't think there's anything wrong with your front end); one shool of thought is that the camber of the road causes the tire to run slightly off center and cause this uneven wear pattern. I don't fully buy into this because the road camber is only about 1 degree, on my bike the wear pattern is much further off the center line - about 10 degrees.

I suspect it's because we drive on the right in the US; this causes us to make larger raidus left turns than we do right; hence we drive faster in left hand turns and put more wear on the left side of the front tire. Be interesting to hear if any of our Brit / Aussie friends see the wear pattern on the right side of the tire.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Both ideas sound logical to me...........

I can't answer your question, but both my bikes and my brothers bike have all experienced the same thing.

Rick

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All,

Thank you very much. My plan was to be at the dealership first thing tomorrow to drill a new one because if it had been a set up issue, I would have considered
it very unsafe and would have been livid. Although I don’t want to spend the money on a new tire, I will do so confidently now know that my front end is not really the issue. Any ideas about the cost of a metz for the front end of a Spirit 1100 2005?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
how's about posting a pic?
road crown is a logical sounding answer, but typical crowns aren't every steeply sloped, and depending on how far out the ware is (or how wide the ware strip is) could be a sign of something more.

is the wear the same distance from the tires centerline? is the wear EVEN WIDTH all the way around? are both tires showing ware in the same areas? is the ware worn about evenly all the way around?....

see, questions to ask....camber could only be part of the problem. if uneven ware, could be anything from balance issue to bearings or wide ware could be camber+inflation issue or if same width ware area but it weaves near and away from centerline could be camber+slightly bent rim...

paranoid? yup, safety relies on being sure of your equipment, best to be more paranoid than not paranoid enough.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I've noticed the same with all my front tires so far (Dunlops) due to the pitch of the road I assume. When the one I have on now wears out, I'm switching to a metzler.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Dragoon said:
I did my pre ride inspection today before taking off for my 100 miles plus pleasure cruise. I noticed something very odd, or at least I thought it odd. I have the original Dunlop n the front still and the dragoon has just turned 14k miles. So, in the right hand side of the tread pattern, it seemed to have many miles left on it. On the left hand side, it seems to have next to none. I cant complain about getting 14k miles out of the stock tire, but I am wondering if this is a tell tale sign of an issue with the front end. I don’t THINK I have been turning left only but I do think that maybe they did not set the front end up during the PDI. Any ideas
this has been discussed many many times before.........
normal wear due to the crown on the roads.

droy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
droy said:
Dragoon said:
this has been discussed many many times before.........
normal wear due to the crown on the roads.

droy
really?...this is the first i've seen it.
but anythingh odd about the bike gets me paraniod, guess it comes with being new to the hole biker 'thing'... :cry:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
GrymLocke said:
but anythingh odd about the bike gets me paraniod, guess it comes with being new to the hole biker 'thing'... :cry:
There really isn't much that hasn't been covered before.

People come and people go... therefore the discussions get brought up
over and over.
People who've been around a while have seen them, while the fairly new
have not.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
litnin said:
GrymLocke said:
There really isn't much that hasn't been covered before.

People come and people go... therefore the discussions get brought up
over and over.
People who've been around a while have seen them, while the fairly new
have not.
YEP, i tried doing a search for "tire wear" ended up with garbage.....
wonder what's the problem with the search engine........it never seems to
work. maybe iam just not using it correctly

droy

·
Registered
932 Posts
Dragoon said:
I have the original Dunlop n the front still and the dragoon has just turned 14k miles. So, in the right hand side of the tread pattern, it seemed to have many miles left on it. On the left hand side, it seems to have next to none.
Dragoon,
I plan on replacing my front tire spring. My bike has over 12K on the original front and I just went out and checked and the condition is similar to the description of yours.
Dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's not because of the "crown in the road". It's because you're in a left turn much longer than you're in a right turn. A left turn can be about 50 feet long, and a right turn can be only about 10 feet.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Evil Twin said:
It's not because of the "crown in the road". It's because you're in a left turn much longer than you're in a right turn. A left turn can be about 50 feet long, and a right turn can be only about 10 feet.
I've read a magazine article about this and I beleive your right ET. In countries where they drive on the left side of the road, the right side of the tire wears faster. We Americans go further on the left side of the tire than the right.

Bruce

·
Registered
296 Posts
Additionally, some people tend to lean deeper in one turn more than the other.

I know that personally, I'm more comfortable leaning further left than right (on my bike, not politically).

I take left turns faster, and lean over more than I do in right-handers.

Part of that may be the already mentioned fact that left turns are usually longer than right turns.

But I also think it just is like right or left handedness, some people are more comfortable with left or right full-body actions.

Shrug, or it could just be the crowned roads after all, who knows.
-K

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Kframe said:

I know that personally, I'm more comfortable leaning further left than right (on my bike, not politically).

There is at least one chapter dedicated to this in More Proficient Motorcycling.

You are more likely to drag pegs on a left turn because of the crown in the road. On right hand turns you have the crown working to bank the turn like on a race track on the left turns its often and opposite bank requiring a lot more lean (not from true perpendicular but from the road surface perpendicular) to finish a turn.

To help ID the really crowned roads during a left hander look at the line on the outside edge of the road and if it dissappears from view in the middle of the turn, it is crowned pretty steeply in the wrong direction. If you can see the outside line all the way around the turn you have a turn that does not fall away and can be taken faster with less lean. (Just a cool tidbit from the book that I am in the habit of watching for when riding)

·
Registered
296 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Kframe said:

There is at least one chapter dedicated to this in More Proficient Motorcycling.

You are more likely to drag pegs on a left turn because of the crown in the road. On right hand turns you have the crown working to bank the turn like on a race track on the left turns its often and opposite bank requiring a lot more lean (not from true perpendicular but from the road surface perpendicular) to finish a turn.

To help ID the really crowned roads during a left hander look at the line on the outside edge of the road and if it dissappears from view in the middle of the turn, it is crowned pretty steeply in the wrong direction. If you can see the outside line all the way around the turn you have a turn that does not fall away and can be taken faster with less lean. (Just a cool tidbit from the book that I am in the habit of watching for when riding)
I'd forgotten about that camber trick you mentioned.
Think I might just dust off my copy of those books (original and "More...") as long as riding season isn't quite in full swing yet.

Thanks!
-K

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Evil Twin said:
Nah...it's because Dragoon is really a member of NASCAR.
:wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
tire wear

One more thing to consider is where you routinely ride in Cage tire tracks. If you ride close to center line, not only do you encounter camber, but there is additional camber due to the depression in the rodeway from cars/trucks.

Paul

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just figured we had alot of NASCAR fans and they sneak on the track at night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts