Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to strip the frame for painting on an old shadow, and was wondering what the best method is? I'd rather not pay some bloke to sandblast it.

Angle grinding? Aircraft stripper? Please help.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I need to strip the frame for painting on an old shadow, and was wondering what the best method is? I'd rather not pay some bloke to sandblast it.

Angle grinding? Aircraft stripper? Please help.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sandblasting will etch the metal and require smoothing out again before you can paint it, chemical removal is the easiest way to go just paint it on wait for the paint to bubble and gently remove it, then wipe the bike down with some kind of neutralizer then start painting it.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I use an aerosol aircraft stripper I get at NAPA. Works extremely well, but use in a well ventilated area.

After that I always have it sand blasted. The etching after blasting is actually a good thing for paint adhesion. Not noticeable at all after primer and paint.

Powdercoat is better if you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What's the end goal? If you're looking for a perfect show bike, sandblast and go from there.

If you're making a daily driver that you don't have to worry about again, prep it the best you can by hand, using sandpaper, power sanders, etc. Once all the loose rust is gone, use POR-15.

SUPER STARTER KIT Stop Rust Permanently with --POR-15 Inc.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Thats interesting stuff, but sure are a lot of steps, and you still have to top coat after all that!

POR-15 top coats arent cheap either.

I'd really like to see some finished products in this though.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thats interesting stuff, but sure are a lot of steps, and you still have to top coat after all that!

POR-15 top coats arent cheap either.

I'd really like to see some finished products in this though.
I've never found a durable finish that is cheap. When done, you could hit it with a hammer and not scratch it. An alternative would be rust encapsulator and then chassis black from Eastwood, but you're still talking $35 and it's not as durable.

Prep is going to be everything. You must get the frame clean. You can use a decent degreaser, sandpaper, and a pressure washer, and then do a topcoat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.