Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy in my bike club Who has a 250 rebel. It's his only vehicle, and he rides it no matter what. Rain, snow, freezing cold, a real biker in my book. He just loves to ride. He recently had a stroke, and is not able to get his liscence back. He wants to continue to be part of the group, and has asked if anyone would consider letting him ride two up. A few of us stepped up, and offered our services, figuring he could ride on the biggest bike available. I guess my question is " what are the dangers of letting someone ride two up, who may not be physically 100%."

· Registered
949 Posts
well...if he starts flopping around like a fish at 60mph then you might end up not being "100% physically" after the wreck.

Not trying to be insensitive..it is just a gift I have

· Registered
119 Posts
Depending on his physical limitations after the stroke would be the key IMO. I would make sure his doctor would allow it first as he would be the best judge on his abilities right now. You definitely dont want to take a chance on putting either one of yall in danger. I commend yall for stepping up as I would have done the same. I think someone with a trike, if available in your group, would be better for a passenger that may have some physical impairment.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
shrek said:
well...if he starts flopping around like a fish at 60mph then you might end up not being "100% physically" after the wreck.

Not trying to be insensitive..it is just a gift I have
i agree shrek! iTS GOOD TO TRY AND HELP but....... doesnt sound safe for either rider to me. Shrek......i also seem to have that same "gift" cant keep from speaking my mind. O WELL!

DROY

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shrek said:

Not trying to be insensitive..it is just a gift I have[/quote

Well I do have a cargo net. :lol:

· Registered
521 Posts
perhaps someone in the riding group should "take one for the team" and get a sidecar.

depending on where and what the stroke affected it can make a world of difference - having to tighten your legs to hold on or being able to hold the sissy bar. I'm assuming that there is some weakness or he wouldn't have lost the license. scary thought when you think of how many muscles you use just to hold on. Of course, maybe that's only when I'm driving :shock: 8)

· Registered
902 Posts
Good on you all for being willing to help this guy out!
+1 on getting the medical opinion first. Nothing doing without the doc's approval.
Next, consider that there is a big difference between having the reflexes and mental acuity needed to pilot a machine (ergo, no license) and just the basic common sense and physical ability to ride pillion.
If the physical ability to sit straight on the bike and cooperate with the rider is there, he will still probably have to re-learn the motor skills just like he's never been on the back of a bike. So if you get the medical go-ahead, take the time to go somewhere safe with him and just practice, nice and easy, like you would with a six-year-old who's never been on a motorcycle.
Patience and common sense can go a long way toward a stroke victim regaining a lot of capabilities. Be careful, and make sure both the rider and he are willing to consider failure and setbacks an option, and it will be all good. If it's just not happening, at least you tried.
But expect it to be a lot different than a hale, experienced rider hopping on the back as usual.
Just my 2c.

· Registered
8,119 Posts
As a stroke survivor I can tell you that there are many handicaps that can result from one. It all depends on what part of the brain was damaged. Does he have any paralysis in any of his extremities ? Does he have balance and vertigo problems ?

I had left side deficit issues and vertigo shortly after the first stroke but these problems seemed to resolve themselves. I still have the left side deficit problems, but I have trained myself on how to overcome it. I have had numerous mini strokes in the past but most of the damage was temporary and I recovered. They have finally got a handle on my blood clotting factors and I have been stroke free for a while now.

Thankfully, my Doctor, who is also a close buddy of mine, left my license alone as long as I promised him I would not drive or ride on my bad days ( tired, weak or slow thinking ). And out of respect for him I do this.

I cannot say if your friend would be a danger to himself and the driver without knowing his limitations and the damage done to the brain. His limitations maybe only in an extremity or he may have balance and vertigo issues. In the last two cases there is no way I would put him on the back of anyones bike. If he becomes dizzy and wobbles through a turn, its going to throw the driver off.

Does anyone in your group have a trike or a wing ? If so then the big wrap around seat will give him stability.

BTW, kudos to you for trying to help this guy out and provide him some enjoyment. Your group sounds like a great bunch of people.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.