Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the alternator rotor on a 1983 shadow 750. I just got this engine off ebay because my crank was shot. I have so far heated the rotor uses a 5 foot cheater pipe only to break my ratchet, i know ishould have used a breaker bar, the bolt had left handed threads and i wonder if the guy i bought it from didnt know that and tried getting it off by turning the bolt the wrong way, because all the other parts were removed. Any way any of you guys ever had trouble getting this bolt loose or have any ideas about hou to procede. I dont want to break it then the crank i need is ruined.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a jeep and go through this often. :lol:

What rust breaker are you using? I use PB blaster as a pretreater for these situations. Then it's a matter of heat and rocking the bolt back and forth to break the bond.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stuck bolt

Thanks for your reply. This is a crankshaft bolt i have squirted PB blasteraround the bolt but the problem is the bolt has a wide lip that keeps any penetrating oil to get to the threads.There is no other rust present in the engine so im assuming it has tightened up over the years from crankshaft torque. Ive used a pneumatic impact wrench and last night i tied a manual impact wrench one that you hammer, then i put my 5 ft cheater pipe back on and hammered on it after i heated it it still would not budge. Maybe im not heating it long enough but the rotor gets prettuy hot. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know the bolt that you need to remove...an impact wrench should work nicely....possible a 4-way wheel lug wrench MAY fit and give enough leverage to remove it. A long reach socket with a T-bar and a six foot pipe put on it as a cheater? Some ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Put a breaker bar on it that is long enough to reach the ground.

Put the socket over the nut and place the breaker bar against the ground securely.

Then, just bump the starter, ever so slightly.
It should back the nut right off.

You might want to disconnect the plug wires from the coils just
to make sure it doesn't try to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts