Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for a choke to stick closed or does it have a spring that pops it back open? The bike is acting like the choke is constantly closed. It won't start when it is hot, but will when it is cold.

I've pulled both lines off of each side and can manually manipulate the choke. It feels like it is opening and closing but I'm not positive.

Does anyone know if this works on a spring? If so, is it automatically sprung open? On the handlebars there's no tension on the wire until the choke lever is pressed at least half way down.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
It would be very helpful if you would share the specifics about the vehicle to which you are referring.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Thanks,

The enrichment valves are backed up with small springs that push the valves in (closed/no enrichment) when there is slack in the inner cable. See assembly 8 in the attached microfiche.

Clicky

Hence if you have enough slack in the cables when closed the needles should be forced into the jet with the springs closing off any additional fuel (choke).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know. The motorcycle smells of flooding when I try to start it after it gets hot. I've readjusted the carb to no avail. It runs like a champ until it's hot. I'll shut it off, wait thirty minutes and it won't start again. It only turns over.

It would make sense if the choke was stuck closed but I feel spring tension pulling back once i try to manually close the valuve at the carb. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still having this problem after a six hundred and ten dollar trip to Honda. It's still doing the same thing! I pulled the plugs to make sure there was spark and there is. As I did this one of the cylinder blew a little gas and it kicked over a little and a flame shot across the room. Pretty exciting. Anyone care to give me the magic cure other than buying a new bike. I really could live without that answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing happens on my 83 shadow 750. Cleaned the carbs myself, no help. Had Honda clean them, out about $135, still nothing better. It backfires while trying to start it. when gets cooled down, it starts- runs like a champ. Seems to fit flooding but what to do about it?

Is it possible it is electrical?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally believe the coil is not discharging enough spark after it gets hot and is shut off. There's plenty of fuel being delivered. It's either that or a torn diaphragm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts