Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 750 Spirit. It has 15,400 miles on it. I bought it 5 weeks ago with 14, 200 miles on it.

I usually shift into fifth around 55-60 mph. In the past two weeks, I've had it get stuck when shifting into fifth about 3 times now. When this happens, it feels like it gets stuck between gears. It revs real high and I have to shift it again. This morning when it happened, it sounded like something rattling around in there.

Does anyone know what this could be?

I know I'm coming up on the recommended 16,000 mile service where everything is gone over, so I'll be making an appointment at the shop for that. I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm possibly looking at.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
You are shifting too gently on the pedal or too quickly on the clutch or a combination of the 2.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Honda Cruisers have sloppy transmissions... You need to make firm shifts or you will miss gears.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Make sure you're completely letting off the shifter after the 3-4 shift. If you ride the shifter with your toe even a little it may not be in position for a full 4-5 shift.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Do the **** 16000 service yourself. Why would you pay $200-$300 for an oil and fluid change, if they even do that much.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have gotten into the habit of holding the shift lever up until after the clutch is let out for the same reason. Sometimes I can feel it slip off the 5th gear and land in la la land.

·
Registered
18,102 Posts
Wear Boots while riding is a good safety instruction,...
There is a reason behind it...
When I wear other shoes I miss gears too...
I`ve been known to "test ride" after working on mine and it is common fer me to miss gears as mentioned...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wear Boots while riding is a good safety instruction,...
There is a reason behind it...
When I wear other shoes I miss gears too...
I`ve been known to "test ride" after working on mine and it is common fer me to miss gears as mentioned...
I always wear boots. I have a pair of Harley boots I've had for years. Huge, sturdy, up over the ankle, zip down the side.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Is shifter pedal adjusted correctly, for your foot.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do the **** 16000 service yourself. Why would you pay $200-$300 for an oil and fluid change, if they even do that much.
I haven't had this bike long and it's my first bike. I can do some maintenance myself, but I would prefer to have a professional give it a good lookover before I ride too long. I bought it on craigslist knowing absolutely nothing about bikes. So yes, I will pay the mechanic $200 to change fluid, inspect hoses, brakes, bearings, clutch, etc. :p Carb sync and valve clearance? *blows my mind*

·
Registered
561 Posts
We always called that a false nuetral...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I haven't had this bike long and it's my first bike. I can do some maintenance myself, but I would prefer to have a professional give it a good lookover before I ride too long. I bought it on craigslist knowing absolutely nothing about bikes. So yes, I will pay the mechanic $200 to change fluid, inspect hoses, brakes, bearings, clutch, etc. :p Carb sync and valve clearance? *blows my mind*
Do you know how to do basic maintenance on a car. cause the only real difference is the number of wheels and the cage.

·
Registered
18,102 Posts
5,000 is the easy to remember number of miles between oil changes I use...
I do my own, too...
A service manual is my best friend, besides my Wife...
I ain`t hadto fool with the valves as yet...I`ve put 40,000 on it...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you know how to do basic maintenance on a car. cause the only real difference is the number of wheels and the cage.
I can change the oil and the plugs and wires on a car. Air filter too. I'm sure I can do all those things on a motorcycle as well. I'm not real technically inclined, but I do want to learn. I just don't want to jump head first into everything. I prefer a little bit at a time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts