Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a number of bikes and have riden for 25 years. I have never had a v twin. I am most used to honda v4's. I am switching to a spirit 1100 due to a neck problem, need to get off my wrists. Need to get my elbo's back and down. The spirit works wonders for this problem.

I have ridden a few vtx's, but never run them hard as they were not mine. I test drove a 03 spirit 1100 with 5000 miles and vance and hines classic pipes and a jet kit installed( bought it, but not picked up yet). I dont think there is a problem, but wonder if they all will "shake" for lack of a better word, more like strong eng pulse's, when in 5th gear at 50 mph and just opening the throddle up all the way. If I drop to 3d gear at the same speed and wack the throddle it pulls good and strong, little to no "shake". Also it will run strong with little pulse, or"shake" if leaving a light and running all the gears out with plenty of throddle.

Sorry if this has been covered time and time again...

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The Shadows are not like Harleys. The Shadow engine is a short stroke engine. A Harley has massive torque due to its long strong nature, but doesn't behave at all like the Shadow does. A Shadow is made for high-revving, and that's what you need to do with it. The engine really gets into its own above 3,000 RPM, and if you want to accelerate, that's where you need to keep it. 50MPH in 5th gear and hitting the throttle hard puts the engine way outside its power band, and 3rd or 4th gear is where it really should be if you want to accelerate quickly. If you don't drop a gear or two when giving it the gusto, those pistons will send you on a rock-n-roll tour that will remind you to never do that again!

A lot of people complain about the Shadows not having power, but it's not that they lack power, it's just that the nut between the seat and the handlebars isn't controlling it the way the bike was made to ride.

I had a hard time when I first got my Shadow 700. I moved to it from a Nighthawk 650 (inline 4), and it took some getting used to. But now that I know what it wants, there's nowhere that I can't enjoy the ride: just me and my Shadow.

Spend some time in the saddle, and you'll learn to love it for what it is.

You won't hurt anything no matter how hard to make it sputter and shake. It's bullet-proof, and it will tell you what it likes and what it doesn't.

--Justin

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's jetted correctly, it will pull at slow rpm. But it doesn't like that.
Don't be afraid to let it rev- like a small block chevy.
I just test rode mine, 65 mph in 2nd gear, no problem!
When it coughs and shakes, it is not happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
And no such thing as a stupid question!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on the new Spirit 1100.

50mph is too slow for 5th gear. At that speed, you're lugging the engine. I think you'll find 5th gear is best at 60+. I find on my 1100 Spirit that the best speed to shift into 5th is 65mph (unless going downhill).

There are a few threads on the forum that discuss shift points. There are the shift points in the Owner's manual, then there are ther realistic shift points. The manul has the shift point at too low a speed for the road (they might be fine on a dyno).

Jim
2001 Spirit 1100

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congrats on the Spirit!

I love mine and finally got a chance to get out today and ride after a too long winter furlow. I know you'll love yours too!

There is a ton if information in this forum if you search around or ask.

Have fun!
Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, for the quick answers. I thought I was just dogging it to much but wanted to make sure.

Do they all kick the starter on shutoff? When I shut this one off you can hear the starter "kick" as the eng dies. I think it is just the eng kicking back a little grabbing the sprag clutch on the starter, but again have not been around vtwins befor.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well I don't believe at 50 mph in fifth your really lugging the engine, but yes stumbling is commond. But its not really just a 5th gear thing, its more an RPM thing, that means it does around 2,200rpm's IN any gear. Its just way more noticeable in fifth.
The reason you'll hear that its lugging is because yu can rev past it, but what they don't say is you can ride below it too. I call it the "Dead Zone"
Oh, its much worse 2-up.
Fifth gear don't get much use from 60mph down. I'm sure that your going to hear how fifth is really an overdrive, but both forth and fifth are overdriven gears. So like others you'll find that the bike does like to rev and is happy doing it.
MarkC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.