Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the hazing begin! So I have been unsuccessful in my search for a owners manual for my 1986 VT700C and that leads me to my stupid noob question of the day... How the hek does the choke or fuel enrichment circuit work? The shop manual talks about a bystarter valve opening when the choke is all the way up, does that mean that the choke is open all the way forward for normal operation?

I know... But first time rider and all... :surprise:

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The fuel enrichment circuit is exactly that: it permits more fuel than air to enter the carburetor. This makes starting a cold engine.easier and that is its only purpose. Basically the "choke" cable gas a plunger on the carb end. as you engage the choke the plunger is pulled out allowing more fuel. As the engine warms you are pushing the choke cable in and the plunger is closing the circuit.

I don't have that specific engine however you should be able to verify the correct lever position by starting the engine, letting it idle with no throttle, and trying choke open or close. When the lever is in the "start" position the rpms will be slightly higher. When in the operating position the rpms will be slightly lower. For you the "start" position will be UP / Open.

Remember when starting a cold engine to use full choke and NO throttle. When the engine is warm use NO choke and slight throttle.

G.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Questions are what it is all about when new people are leaning what we learned when we were new, and asked questions

The choke is actually a cable that pulls a plunger out of the enrichment hole and opens several drilling passages so extra fuel can be provided to start cold.

Here is a manual for a good price plus a parts guide with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-HONDA-VT700C-SHADOW-VT700-VT-700-Service-Repair-Manual-Parts-Guide/202702674361?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=58646&meid=c7f7a2667acb4536911d432844574d34&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=132864059574&itm=202702674361&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Questions are what it is all about when new people are leaning what we learned when we were new, and asked questions

The choke is actually a cable that pulls a plunger out of the enrichment hole and opens several drilling passages so extra fuel can be provided to start cold.
We all get to learn here...
Also, the "choke" on these engines as described above is a bit "different" from the traditional butterfly valve choke you see on lawn mowers and ancient cars. You won't see anything internal move when using the choke lever and looking down the carb throats, like a butterfly opening and closing, because it is an internal set of enrichment ports.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Rebuilt my carbs and replaced floats, needle, jets, diaphragms... yadda yadda... now it starts cold on half a crank no choke. Previously it was an act of congress to cold start it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
one of my enricher plungers broke off the cable, I pushed the plunger all the way into that port so it now only works on one carb. Turns out thats all it needs and starts just fine in low temps getting down near 0°C. Thats what I love about Hondas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
shado#9
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing