Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 honda shadow vt700. I want to replace the front brake pads, since its dual brakes up front do i have to buy to sets of front brake pads??

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would. Pull 'em out and look. There is no proportioning valve so they should have worn evenly. If not then one of the calipers is hanging up a bit and may need to be cleaned or rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Bleeding should be done regularily. Brake fluid has an afinity for water and will cause corrosion. it also breaks down with heat.
I bleed at least whats in the calipers out at every pad change and usually a full flush. Here is what is simple.

1) remove reservoir cover and diaphragm
2) suck fluid out with syringe or turkey baster
3) fill reservoir with new clean fluid
4) hook hose up to bleeder on caliper
5) place other end of hose in small container
6) have someone squeeze the brake lever
7) open the bleeder and allow fluid to flow
8) close bleeder BEFORE full stroke is reached on lever
9) release lever
10) squeeze lever
11) repeat 9 & 10
12) repeat 6-11 until clean clear fluid flows from tube

NOTE: keep the reservoir FULL during this process Do NOT let any air get in the lines.

This whole process takes about 10 minutes and will improve the life of the sytem

Also the Brake system is NOT a sealed system it is vented to atmosphere and moisture will get in.

I greatly improved my braking the first time I did this when I bought the bike.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Isn't the diaphragm under the master cylinder cover a seal? I don't think the system is open to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Motorcycle brake fluid needs to be changed regularly. It will absorb moisture and cause serious corrosion damage to the brake components. The small amount of air in the top of the reservoir will contain enough moisture in it to cause damage. If you look at the fluid in the reservoir it should be clear as water. If it has ANY amber color in it you have rust in your system. Use only fluid from a new bottle of the correct type and don't open it until you're ready to put it in. Don't bother saving the rest of the bottle. Try not to do it on a day with high humidity.

·
Registered
42 Posts
PAD SET, BRAKE06455-MC9-405002

The 002 is the qty. req. This is the Honda # for your bike. And be carefull when you push the pistons back not to push fluid out of the res. onto the paint. I suck the fluid out first then reinstall the cover ,then push a piston back , suck the fluid, then do the next one then suck the last out and refill. Then blead the system down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts