Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excited already! I just booked my two hotel rooms for the trip up. Tuscaloosa to Nevada, MO day one (607 miles). Nevada, MO to Oacoma, SD day two (602 miles). Oacoma, SD to Sturgis, SD day three (233 miles), staying at the Lamphere Ranch Campground. Will be in Sturgis Aug. 1st to Aug. 5th....then the long road back home.

CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Saving my pennies as I type this :D

Got a plan to include Washington DC in my return trip home for that 2M Bikes thing on 9/11...
Can`t take it with me when I go, I might as well spend the kids inheritance;)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I made my camping reservations a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure of my itinerary yet; the sites I hope to visit this year. That will determine if I leave earlier or come home later.

The Badlands again, I'm sure. Also I hike up Bear Butte Mountain every time I go. So much to do.

If I can get some extra time off, I might even spend a few days at Yellowstone while I'm out in the neighborhood...It's only 10 hours away. ;) But that's more a wish than a probability at this point.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Excited already! I just booked my two hotel rooms for the trip up. Tuscaloosa to Nevada, MO day one (607 miles). Nevada, MO to Oacoma, SD day two (602 miles). Oacoma, SD to Sturgis, SD day three (233 miles), staying at the Lamphere Ranch Campground. Will be in Sturgis Aug. 1st to Aug. 5th....then the long road back home.

I just had a brainstorm,

Had TJ, have you thought of contacting Victory to see if they will sponsor your Trip (Pay for it) in exchange for you displaying their Victory Model Bike and wearing the Victory Jacket (you just bought) at Sturgis?

You'll find yourself promoting the Bike while there anyway, why not get paid?

Seriously

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Each of the 4 days I was in the area, we rode 400 miles...
AND still have much to see!!!

That assures a return :D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had a brainstorm,

Had TJ, have you thought of contacting Victory to see if they will sponsor your Trip (Pay for it) in exchange for you displaying their Victory Model Bike and wearing the Victory Jacket (you just bought) at Sturgis?

You'll find yourself promoting the Bike while there anyway, why not get paid?

Seriously
The jacket won't make the trip. It will be too warm in August for it.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made my camping reservations a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure of my itinerary yet; the sites I hope to visit this year. That will determine if I leave earlier or come home later.

The Badlands again, I'm sure. Also I hike up Bear Butte Mountain every time I go. So much to do.

If I can get some extra time off, I might even spend a few days at Yellowstone while I'm out in the neighborhood...It's only 10 hours away. ;) But that's more a wish than a probability at this point.
What campground are you staying at?

We plan on riding the Badlands, Devils Tower, Needles Hwy, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore and whatever else we decide on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm wondering if I plan to simply ride as much as I want/can in a day then as I ride if I feel the need to stop for the night, do you think I would have a hard time finding a motel nearby? Or should I have a more definite plan on hotels and such?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I don't know what August will bring yet, in the midst of maybe making some changes, but would love to go. Still gotta get my wife on the bike though because I really don't want to do it alone. I haven't mapped it out yet but I think it's pretty much a straight shot north of here.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm wondering if I plan to simply ride as much as I want/can in a day then as I ride if I feel the need to stop for the night, do you think I would have a hard time finding a motel nearby? Or should I have a more definite plan on hotels and such?
With all my traveling I find that if there's a big event, the closer you get the harder to wing it but have also been caught not knowing of a convention in a city and not finding a hotel when I'm beat and can't drive much farther. So lately we plan every trip and hotel the best we can.
Next week we're caging to MO. to pick up my son from bootcamp and have every hotel booked for the way there and back to make sure we don't run into any problems.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Wow, I would love to do a trip like that. Not sure I want to try that with my VLX though.
I would think you guys would want to have hotel rooms booked and waiting on you. It's one thing to try it in a car where if you get tired you can pull off the road and lock the doors and catch a quick nap and be "relatively safe". However on a bike you are pretty exposed to weather and anything or anyone else.
I'm determined to next summer take a longer distance trip somewhere to see what kind of distance I could do with my VLX. Should be no reason the bike would have any problem its just what kind of comfort level would I have traveling 500 - 600 miles in a day on it.

Sounds like you all are setting yourselves up for a good time. Hope you take lots of photos to share with the rest of us.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you mean for the Sturgis Rally, you better have a place to stay already. This the 75th Rally and they are expecting close to 1 million bikes. There are not many hotels around, but lots of camping can be found.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you all are setting yourselves up for a good time. Hope you take lots of photos to share with the rest of us.
Planning on getting a Go Pro before the trip. I want to make a video of the trip to put on Youtube. But there will be photos put on here once we hit the road updating the trip....wish it wasn't 8 months away!

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts

Maybe we can meet up at some point Jason. I will be getting to Sturgis on the 27th of July and leaving for home on the 5th of August. Perhaps you could pop by the house we are staying at and we can go for a ride.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe we can meet up at some point Jason. I will be getting to Sturgis on the 27th of July and leaving for home on the 5th of August. Perhaps you could pop by the house we are staying at and we can go for a ride.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
1750 miles (one way) for me to ride out there. That is a bit ambitious for a first year rider on an 18 year old bike, but someday. This year I am going to Americade in Lake George NY though. It's nothing like Sturgis (10,000 attendance) but it will be a great first longish ride and rally.
http://www.americade.com/

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Yessiree, you had better have a place to lay your head, the motels will be FULL 300 miles each direction around the area...
We had a "base camp" at Robins Nest in Hill City, it is a condo priced quadraplex on a hillside, the folks treated us good and it served us well, being kinda centrally located to the attractions'''
People in town open camping in their yards for less fortunite late arrivals, but it is expensive...
Everything will be full!!!

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
1750 miles (one way) for me to ride out there. That is a bit ambitious for a first year rider on an 18 year old bike, but someday. This year I am going to Americade in Lake George NY though. It's nothing like Sturgis (10,000 attendance) but it will be a great first longish ride and rally.
Americade Motorcycle Rally | Lake George, New york
My trip will be 1500 miles each way on what will be a 13 year old bike when we ride out. You can do it!

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.