Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else is heading to Sturgis this year. I think it would be cool to meet up with some other Shadows on a couple of day rides while we are out there.

This will be our first trip - I'm taking the wife, and my father-in-law will be riding out as well. We originally had a lot of "yes men" that said they would ride out with us, but now that it is time to cough up the dough for the campground registration our group of 9 has dwindled to 2.... Shocker...

We are planning to stay at Broken Spoke - We will most likely ride in on the 3rd or 4th and heading back on the 8th. We will be riding from central Indiana, so if anyone wants to link up just let me know.

Also, any advice is greatly appreciated. We have done some decent weekend rides to Nashville, TN and Deals Gap, but this will be the longest to date. But I have a week and a half of vacation time and I'm planning to use all of it, so we shouldn't have to cram any uncomfortable miles in.

Any suggestions on where to ride? Where to eat? Events to put on the list?

Ride Safe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is what I've heard...

I will go downtown one day just for the experience - I think it may be one if those things I want to experience once... But I'd rather cover some miles with good scenery than to sit in long traffic lines all day. May never do it again - but then again I at love it.

Either way, good luck and safe travels to you guys on your trip. When are you heading there?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My advice would be to schedual so you catch the last couple days of the actual rally and a few days the week following the rally so you can truly enjoy the sights that the black hills area has to offer.
There will still be several bikes in the area the week after but no traffic jams.

·
Registered
837 Posts
In 2010 we went there NOT during bike week. LOL it was a ghost town. We were the ONLY bikes there. lol all 4 of us. Everywhere we went No traffic NO other bikes. We might see 6 to 10 bikes a day. And that was in July. Be sure to tell your "no show" friends, that back out on you, " No Shirt for You" you want one ya gotta EARN it! LOL. Have a safe great trip

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, that is what I've heard...

I will go downtown one day just for the experience - I think it may be one if those things I want to experience once... But I'd rather cover some miles with good scenery than to sit in long traffic lines all day. May never do it again - but then again I at love it.

Either way, good luck and safe travels to you guys on your trip. When are you heading there?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Thanks man. we will probably go in around 3 weeks. not sure though.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Lofty goal is to ride from Minneapolis to (Howard) SD and load the bike into the Econoline for the remainder of the trip. I have a group of HD friends who are riding from Brookings/SF and I'm going to haul the remaining gear in the truck.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
In 2010 we went there NOT during bike week. LOL it was a ghost town. We were the ONLY bikes there. lol all 4 of us. Everywhere we went No traffic NO other bikes. We might see 6 to 10 bikes a day. And that was in July. Be sure to tell your "no show" friends, that back out on you, " No Shirt for You" you want one ya gotta EARN it! LOL. Have a safe great trip
After High School ('96-'97) I spend two years working at Wall Drug. Rally time is CRAZY busy, but before and after Sturgis desolate. It's strange to see, actually.

If you are out there before and/or after, there is still FANTASTIC riding around Strugis, Keystone, Spearfish...The Black Hills and Badlands in general. In fact, I would love to take an extra week off to go camping in the Badlands out in the middle of nowhere. We used to do it when I worked out there and it's truly remarkable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Local Rally Freak

Greetings, I am a local (well actually, I live 25 miles from Sturgis) and look forward to the Rally every year. If this is your first time, you definitely need to check out downtown at least once. You are staying at one of the better campgrounds, we always make it a point to visit the Broken Spoke a time or 2. One ride I would highly encourage is the Devil's Tower run (from the Spoke, take Hwy 79, then Hwy 212 to Belle Fourche, then Hwy 34 to Alladin, Hulett, and then the tower). I live on Hwy 34, just 4 miles west of Belle Fourche (just 1.5 miles from the Stonehouse Saloon -- make sure you stop there for a time), feel free to swing in to my place and have a meet and greet, let alone a brew or 2. Your can let me know if you are interested and I will give you details. There is always a good crew at my place during the rally, and we can give you some local color! If you are looking for a really crazy day for that run, do it on Wednesday, as that is the big day is Hulett -- No Pantie Wednesday is not what is used to be, but it still turns a sleepy little town of a few hundred into a mass of humanity and motorcycles for a day -- great people watching place. Also, Sundance Wy, is one the way, either going or coming, and that's the big "burnout" celebration day -- something else to experience.

Anyway, look me up if you feel like it, be glad to point you around and offer what advice I can.

Poppaschanz

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Yeah, and thank you for the heads up poppa, we visited town hall and I wear my belle force pin as proudly as I wear my Rode Mine 2011 patch...
I will return, but $$$ just ain`t there this rally...
5700 miles total for our excursion to Sturgis...
D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts