Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While adjusting my valves I realized my sub air cleaner was pretty much nonexistent. Has anyone replaced one before? If so,do I need OEM or is there a good locally accessible alternative? I was thinking of using something in the lines of a small engine foam air filter.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'd use small engine filter foam, or pick-up some Uni-filter foam.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've heard of people using some kind of foam from a hardware store and just cutting it to shape. The OEM is only 1 or 2 mm in height. Really thin. For myself, I stay with OEM. You might have to pay a few dollars for the OEM foam, but it's perfectly cut and properly sized to begin with.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
oem they are cheap so i wouldn't mess around bring to make something work. with that said i just changed both of mine a couple weeks ago. super simple if your adjusting your own valves than it'll be a cake walk. on my aero all i was remove the right side cover and from the bottom i was able to get to both of them and change them out with in 20 minutes . good luck

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subtotal:$1.99
Est. Shipping:$15.83
Est. Sales Tax (0%):$0.00
Total:$17.82 (Cheap cycle parts) Are they on Crack with the shipping charge? It's not like I live in Tibet. I actually found one on Amazon for $ 5.50 w/free shipping if I spend another 24.50. I guess I'll finally buy a JIS screwdriver and another tool box for my tools that seem to be breeding.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, those shipping charges can get outrageous. I needed one screw for my speedo sensor once and anywhere online was like $8 shipping for a $2 screw.

Often if you order it through a shop and go in there and pick it up there is no shipping charge. But if that's not an option where you live that is tough.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Subtotal:$1.99
Est. Sales Tax (0%):$0.00
Total:$17.82 (Cheap cycle parts) Are they on Crack with the shipping charge? It's not like I live in Tibet. I actually found one on Amazon for $ 5.50 w/free shipping if I spend another 24.50. I guess I'll finally buy a JIS screwdriver and another tool box for my tools that seem to be breeding.
I run an online business and UPS will charge us $14.85 to ship up-to 1lb to Payson AZ - That's 3 miles away!

(we hand deliver at no cost to outlying communities so don't be thinking that we would inflict that on our customers .. :))

So yes...That first pound is always gonna be a bear with UPS / FedEx etc...

Usually a company will offer up USPS for lighter weights, 1-2lbs depending on how many people have pulled the "I never received my order" thing in the past.. If it has been too many times, then a company may just offer UPS / FedEx type shipping which is Outrageous for very light weights but much more reasonable for the heavier weights; plus shipments are better insured and easily traceable.

USPS are slow to declare a package missing and an utter clown show when it comes to tracing packages, which is why a lot of business won't use them at all.

Shipping costs are mad these days - But.. Somebody has to pay 'em..

Free shipping .. :) LOL.. Mmmmm.. Usually Not possible for mere mortal type outfits.. Free usually means cost of shipping is averaged-out, and tacked on as a per dollar of the sale markup on the product price - you just don't know it - but you are still paying shipping.

For example, a company makes 100k in sales each year and total shipping costs for that year are 10k, that equals a cost greater than 10% of total sales ..So that part you want for 10.00 is marked up to 11.00 that part for 1000 is marked up to 1100 to cover the costs of free shipping - (Free Shipping is always a bit of a con )

Anyway.. I would call the company - ask them if they ship First Class USPS.. It's worth asking on occasion..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They could just stick it in a envelope and lick a stamp for all I care. I went to the Honda store today(cars) and they couldn't get it for me. That's when I noticed some familiar looking green fluid dripping from my bike. So back home, off with the seat and tank and found it was one of the hoses coming off the thermostat housing had a pin hole leak near were it attached. So I cut an inch or so off and swore some more as I shoved back on and cut up my knuckles AGAIN. No more leak and after the valve adjustment she has a much better sound and more raw power,if that makes any sense. So much for 2 days off in a row. Oh who am I kidding,I loved every second of it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys, I know I'm just a noob when it comes to Honda's. but what is the sub air cleaner and where is it at??

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, I know I'm just a noob when it comes to Honda's. but what is the sub air cleaner and where is it at??
Your bike(that you stole for a grand)should be set up like mine. If so, it's on the top of your forward cylinder in a black aprox. 4x2 black case. You need to remove the tank and right side chrome cover to see and get to it. As far as to what it does,I'm not sure but Honda put it there for a reason(maybe emissions). All I know is the bike runs without it. I'm sure there are a lot more bikes than mine running around without one. It's kinda like a air filter for a weed wacker(oiled foam). Welcome to the forum. 2003 Honda VT750DCA A SUB AIR CLEANER | Cheap Cycle Parts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^Sorry LEFT chrome cover^^^I didn't have my first cup of coffee when I posted.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Originally posted by Sparkman
Total:$17.82 (Cheap cycle parts) Are they on Crack with the shipping charge?
Earlier this year I ordered parts from Cheap cycle, and it seemed they had regained their sanity and dropped the shipping charge to something more reasonable. Not low, but reasonable. This in contrast to their previous ridiculous high rate. My strategy is to order all the parts that I need AND the parts that I'll need in the perceivable future which reduces the shipping charge hugely, per item. Odd items do get forgotten, so I take a week or two to compile the shopping list.

Otherwise, if you can buy the same parts from Ebay vendors who specialize in a particular field of parts, (All Ball tappered bearings, starter-relays, brake switches, etc.), the vendors will offer free shipping on top of their low price. What behooves me about Oem parts sites, is that in view of their huge volume of sales, they should be able to get a cut rate shipping charge from Fed Ex or UPS. My suspicion is that the big outfits preserve the standard rates in exchange for a kickback from UPS and FedEx.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your bike(that you stole for a grand)should be set up like mine. If so, it's on the top of your forward cylinder in a black aprox. 4x2 black case. You need to remove the tank and right side chrome cover to see and get to it. As far as to what it does,I'm not sure but Honda put it there for a reason(maybe emissions). All I know is the bike runs without it. I'm sure there are a lot more bikes than mine running around without one. It's kinda like a air filter for a weed wacker(oiled foam). Welcome to the forum. 2003 Honda VT750DCA A SUB AIR CLEANER | Cheap Cycle Parts
Ok thanks. Ya I might have stole it for a grand (LoL) but it has a short some where it keeps blowing the 15a fuse for the turn signals.ect. and needs new fork seals.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks. Ya I might have stole it for a grand (LoL) but it has a short some where it keeps blowing the 15a fuse for the turn signals.ect. and needs new fork seals.
Just nuts,bolts & wires all on the outside of the engine. Keep asking questions and you'll get her straightened out. Your way ahead of the game $$ wise even if you paid a shop to fix it. pull the seat and tank and follow the wires from the speedo down and look for something that doesn't look quite right. Look to see how the wires look under the seat. The PO may have spliced and left a couple bare wires touching. I see you have a taillight and front signal mod. Those would be my prime suspects.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts