Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maintenance schedule indicates that the "sub air filters" be changed at 12,000 miles. How difficult are they to change? Any special tools required?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I dont know, have you tried contacting the Navy? Do they mean regular miles or nautical miles?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I do not understand your reply.
Ignore him he's just being facetious.

I would take'em out first and have a really good look at the condition, it might be they just need a good clean and if the bike's performing nicely as it is, I wouldn't worry about replacing them. Just give'em a bit of TLC, get some cleaning gunk and ride for a while longer.

I've read in other threads that replacing one thing can lead to a chain reaction of kinda needing to then replace other things. And thing is, I guess it can depend on where you did the 12k miles, in middle of desert country, city riding or mountain regions all would have different affect on quality.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
No, im being sarcastic. What is a sub filter? I had no such animal on my '01 750.

·
Registered
740 Posts
No, im being sarcastic. What is a sub filter? I had no such animal on my '01 750.
It could be said you were being both and more...needlessly! Now, if you can contribute positively, do so.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You dont need to get your knickers in a bunch, youre a Brit, i thought you guys liked dry humor?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I would take'em out first and have a really good look at the condition, it might be they just need a good clean and if the bike's performing nicely as it is, I wouldn't worry about replacing them. Just give'em a bit of TLC, get some cleaning gunk and ride for a while longer."

That reply I understand.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I still have no clue what filters youre talking about. Ive been completely through my 750 and a 750 A.C.E. and there was only one filter.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I still have no clue what filters youre talking about. Ive been completely through my 750 and a 750 A.C.E. and there was only one filter.
If you have no idea on the topic, why the hell even bother posting, just to be a damn ASS!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
Ive been completely through my 750 and a 750 A.C.E. and there was only one filter.
Fur,
You actually haven't been completely through (edit) a 750ACE because it "Does" have a sub air filter. The sub air filter provides vacuum to the carbs.

It's a foam element in a small black box that sits above the front cylinder.....

Phil

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I never said i had an A.C.E. and i never saw those on my Spirit. Sorry i sullied this thread.

Im also sorry that this forum cant handle simple humor considering its all run under the Motorcycle.com Network and others of their many forums welcome witty banter and camaraderie. And since my humor is apparently reportable i will simply return the favor when i feel slighted.

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
I never said i had an A.C.E.
Sorry about that, I edited my post to read "a 750 ACE" instead of "your 750 ACE."

You did say you've been completely through "a" 750ACE, didn't you?

Phil

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
11,085 Posts
I never said i had an A.C.E. and i never saw those on my Spirit. Sorry i sullied this thread.

Im also sorry that this forum cant handle simple humor considering its all run under the Motorcycle.com Network and others of their many forums welcome witty banter and camaraderie. And since my humor is apparently reportable i will simply return the favor when i feel slighted.
Unfortunatley your banter isn't witty nor is it adding to any camaraderie. You are coming off as being obnoxious. There is a time and place for banter but if every tech thread elicits the same type of smart ass comment it stops being funny and only pisses people off. For the last time reign it in you will not be asked again.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Roh-roh! When the mod gets involved you're in trouble.
I appreciated your witty remarks too until they descended into wise-assery.

Dingo.

·
Registered
323 Posts

:)

Notice the smily! Now that's banter right there! :)

I'll have to check my VT750CA, and see what setup I have. Looks like a vacuum filter thingy. Heck, don't know if I have them or not. But good info to know if I actually do!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I picked up on Furball's humor with his Navy comment in regards to a sub air filter. Sub as in submarine. :lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
It can be kind a pain to take off and even more of a pain to put back on. Having said that, I've cleaned it a few times actually. Get some long needle nose pliers. Trust me. All you do is soak the foam element in kerosine and then use gear oil to lube it up again. Just getting it on and off the plastic housing as it sits on top of the cylinders is a PITA.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts