Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well almost...
Haven't had time to start pokin' around yet but I figured I'd ask for logical places to start. I went for a nice ride this evening and treated myself to a DQ near home. I fired up the bike to head home and all the idiot lights were out (except the high beam indicator), no running lights, no turns, no horn, no rear light or brake light. Head light was just fine as was the high beam. Bike started and ran just fine. According to the wiring diagram that stuff is on two circuits, one 10 amp for the speedo light and tail light, one 10 amp for brake/horn/turn sigs. I did solder in a Kury brake/turn/run modulator about 400 miles ago. The first things that come to mind are checking the fuses and connectors and connections. Is there a place to look that would cause both of these circuits to fail at once?

Thanks a bunch!! Dave

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
I did solder in a Kury brake/turn/run modulator about 400 miles ago. The first things that come to mind are checking the fuses and connectors and connections.
Hmmm....
Is there a place to look that would cause both of these circuits to fail at once?
Kury modification
This is the FIRST Place I would suspect...
Good Luck,
Dennis
Sturgis Run in 6 days

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
From years working on vehicles and in industry as a millwright the first place to look when something fails is the last place you were. It is a humbling experience to admit you did something wrong but a good place to start.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
A newfound riding buddy of mine installed some run/brake/turn lights, He`s having problems with them...
We fixed another newfound riding buddys` starter switch last week...
We`ll take a looky see next week at the problem lights, prolly...
Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. As soon as it happened my mind jumped to the mod I did with the run/turn/brake. I forgot to mention that I also moved the rear turns back to make room for my bags.They'll the first places I'm going to scope out. It's been too hot and especially muggy around here to get too excited about about going out in the garage and have sweat pouring off me looking for a bad connection or short. I must be getting wimpy in my old age...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
check the Kury brake/turn/run modulator connections -
l-lell remove it and then see if all works normal - if so then you found the problem.
rewire it

start easy - that was the last thing u goofed with

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
&&&&&&& I must be getting wimpy in my old age... &&&&&&&&
Me TOO!!!
During the middle of the day this is where you`ll find me, INSIDE !!!!
Good Luck on that SNAFU,
Dennis
T -5

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Went out in the garage this morning before it turns into a sauna. Took the seat off and there it was starin' at me. When I wired in the run-stop-brake contoller and moved the rear turns back I needed to extended the wiring. Looks I wasn't careful enough in routing the wire. Anyway I pinched a wire and it finally wore through the insulation and shorted, blowing the two fuses I mentioned above. I cut out the pinched section and soldered in a new piece and replaced the fuses. Everything works except that the right rear turn is always on. Doesn't blink with the turns or go on and off when the brake is applied. Does anyone know how those controllers work? Do you think I toasted some IC in the controller when I had the short?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stock condition is the rear turns are only activated when the blinker switch is turned on. There is no running light function for the rears. With the Kuryakyn controller wired in, the rear turns have a running light function, turn signal function, and they will blink in unison with the rear brake light 3X to give cagers a heads up that I have my brakes applied. After finding the short and fixing it, the right rear stays 'bright' like it would when brake is applied or the turn is flashing. It does not flash or blink at all. The other turn signals and brake light work as they should. I wondering if I toasted something in the controller, it was the wire going to the right rear that had the pinch and resulting short.

Thanks, Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts