Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rode a long bit today and got a pretty good sunburn on my face. I wear a full face helmet. How can I protect my nose and exposed face? I would think applying any sunscreen would just rub off when putting on or rub off and crud up the padding. What are the options and which do you prefer or know of as ones that are often recommended?

• uv rated face shield
  • tinted face shield (does this even matter?)
  • certain type of sunscreen that wont crud up the inner padding?
  • very very thin balaclava for summer/warm weather?

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
A Tinted shield sure would help matters...

Ride North or South,
Dennis

East and West is where the SUN is beating down on your face ;)
Ride in the shade?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A bit of background first...
I've received some pretty good sunburns on my face and especially my nose over the years while riding, and I always wear a helmet, too.

A couple of months ago, I was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) on that very same nose, and had to have an operation to remove it.

I play it a lot safer now.

I would say sunscreen is your best bet. 30SPF is fine. Higher SPF numbers don't mean better protection, rather just how long it protects until you need to reapply. A high SPF sunscreen that goes on like clown whiteface means you won't want to use it, and not using it doesn't solve the problem. Who wants to look like the Joker?

SPF ratings are simply explained here...

Another option is an spf neck gaiter (dozens of options on Amazon) that can be pulled up over your nose when riding.
If the gaiter is too uncomfortable on hot days, you're back to sunscreen, so that's my first best suggestion.

I have both.

I don't care for tinted visors (except the integral drop-down ones some helmets have) because I often ride into the night and I don't want to have to change out visors when it gets dark. I really have no idea how much they protect from the sun anyhow.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
Like @Menhir I`ve had my share of burned nose & face...
The suggestion s are good you give,
Dennis

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,068 Posts
I assumed that all motorcycle helmets came with UV blocking shields...I guess I assumed wrong!

I've never been sunburnt through my face shield and have worn Shoei helmets for some time now. Their standard shields are 99% UV blockers.

So...my recommendation would be: UV rated shield

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
252 Posts
I rode a long bit today and got a pretty good sunburn on my face. I wear a full face helmet. How can I protect my nose and exposed face? I would think applying any sunscreen would just rub off when putting on or rub off and crud up the padding. What are the options and which do you prefer or know of as ones that are often recommended?

• uv rated face shield
  • tinted face shield (does this even matter?)
  • certain type of sunscreen that wont crud up the inner padding?
  • very very thin balaclava for summer/warm weather?
What helmet do you wear?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What helmet do you wear?
Speed And Strength 2100.

From what I have read but not 100% verified is that plastics can block UV type A. But more must be done and noted to block UV type B

My helmet has no rating that I saw on website about any UV protection. So I could still be getting some UV exposure.

I too am careful about applying SPF but am new at riding and realizing I have exposed part of face and little bit of neck. I am a ATGATT believer.

I saw no shield replacement on speed And strength website for uv protected visors.

I too am not a fan of tinted visors. I have a tinted drop down for when I really need it and I like it that way.

All good discussions.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I like the tinted helmet shields, but only the high-contrast amber ones. Green or gray just make things darker and too hard to see details. can't get an amber one for my current helmet so am using the helmet visor which sticks out enough to shade the nose most of the time. Riding east in the AM or west in the evening is still a problem.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,564 Posts
The issue is that your skin gets really dry due to the wind etc. I use SPF50 and put it on 30 minutes before the helmet goes on. That way your skin can absorb it and the JOKER face goes away. Otherwise its just wiped off. 30 minutes before is the key. Also take it with you so if there is a stop, reapply. Go put it on now!

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
270 Posts
A Tinted shield sure would help matters...

Ride North or South,
Dennis

East and West is where the SUN is beating down on your face ;)
Ride in the shade?
I've got that option for both of my helmets.. one has a removable face-shield so I just go tinted during the day and clear at night. My newer helmet has a clear outer one and tinted one that is retractable and lowered with a lever on the side of the helmet.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,898 Posts
You must be driving on a long, long, straight road directly into the sun.

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
270 Posts
My wife and I got matching hi-vis colour ones last Summer that have the retractable tint shades inside of the outer clear shield. Always wanted one like that as riding around with sunglasses inside the helmet kinda sucked. At least for me it did.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,063 Posts
I wear a half helmet 95%+ of the time so I can’t really comment on FF helmets.

I wear plastic tinted safety glasses and after a long day riding in the sunshine I will end up with the reverse raccoon face. So these glasses must protect from UV A and B. Of course some of the burn is from the wind. My point is that if sunblock lotion is not an option the get a tinted shield and carry the clear shield or carry clear safety glasses for night time and ride with the tinted shield open.

I do have a modular helmet with a clear shield and tinted drop down shield. The tinting is light and I still need the tinted safety glasses when riding during the day.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts