Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunburn through face helmet

3K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Spiritman 
#1 · (Edited)
I rode a long bit today and got a pretty good sunburn on my face. I wear a full face helmet. How can I protect my nose and exposed face? I would think applying any sunscreen would just rub off when putting on or rub off and crud up the padding. What are the options and which do you prefer or know of as ones that are often recommended?

• uv rated face shield
  • tinted face shield (does this even matter?)
  • certain type of sunscreen that wont crud up the inner padding?
  • very very thin balaclava for summer/warm weather?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
What helmet do you wear?
Speed And Strength 2100.

From what I have read but not 100% verified is that plastics can block UV type A. But more must be done and noted to block UV type B

My helmet has no rating that I saw on website about any UV protection. So I could still be getting some UV exposure.

I too am careful about applying SPF but am new at riding and realizing I have exposed part of face and little bit of neck. I am a ATGATT believer.

I saw no shield replacement on speed And strength website for uv protected visors.

I too am not a fan of tinted visors. I have a tinted drop down for when I really need it and I like it that way.

All good discussions.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
You must be driving on a long, long, straight road directly into the sun.
LOL - not quite, but 1.5 hours straight north while the sun was to my right (about 9am to 10:30a) had the right side of my face a bit burned later in the day. I was done riding at 1pm where the sun was high so I didnt quite have that direct sun on face.

I ended up ordering a neck gator with UPF 50 rating. I will try that next time to see if that helps and is tolerable during warm/hot rides.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I have ridden for 6 days straight in very sunny weather and never had sunburn on my face.
Guess my shields have always had UVA and UVB protection.
I currently have a self tinting shield on my Bell helmet, best thing ever.
I also wear a neck gator after having really bad sunburn on my neck after 2 days of riding a while back.
I know mine doesnt have any rating and must have just been sensitive to the sun for that long...first exposure of the season. I normally dont get much sun and when I do, I put on sunscreen.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I feel the same way about dark shields. As much as I love my flip down sun visor when needed, I often find my self flipping it right back up as soon as that sun is our of my vision as I want to see more light. Perhaps its my older/aging eyes (52 yo).

I have ridden for 6 days straight in very sunny weather and never had sunburn on my face.
Guess my shields have always had UVA and UVB protection.
I currently have a self tinting shield on my Bell helmet, best thing ever.
I also wear a neck gator after having really bad sunburn on my neck after 2 days of riding a while back.
However, I didnt know this existed for visors. I will have to look into that. blupupher, can you share more of your experience with such a visor? (is it pretty fast (the darkening/lightening of the shield? hard to maintain? pros, cons)

Thank you all for your input. My neck gators (i got 2 but from diff companies. One is kind of tighter than the other, but both appear breathable. Will be hot today, so I will just try it for breathability, "cool"ness, etc...)

Discussion starter · #35 ·
It's a motorcycle. We take a chance on dying every time we get on one. That's just part of riding like a sunburn is. I have been biking for 52 years. If you are faint of heart a bike is probably not a wise choice of transport for you. Can you Imagine the comments if someone had posted this on a Harley site lol.
So, I am "faint of heart" for trying to protect myself from sunburn or to further protect myself from cancer? I wear full gear all the time when riding. I am probably not a real rider in your eyes. Hmmm OK, whatever dude. Thank you for your input.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
I have been a bit bothered by the post/reply from @japcowboy .. So @japcowboy , do you have anything to say since you posted and know how I feel on this? If not, **** you.

I am tired of bullies and tired of rhetoric to demean others and I am not standing by anymore letting people getting away with it and their words or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.