Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My name is Amy and I live in Northern California. Thanks to my boyfriend's brother, he and I are both starting to get serious about buying our own bikes. I'm looking into buying an '09 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and he's thinking about a '10 Honda Shadow Phantom 750. Any tips, advise, warnings, etc on either of these two models? We're trying to do all this research into the brand, but I wanted to hear from bikers themselves what they thought of the brand. Keep in mind though that both he and I are going to be brand new riders with no experience and these are our first bikes.

Thanks so much and I'm so glad to have found this forum, from what I've read so far, I know you will give informative and helpful advice to us. Thanks! :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got Phantom couple moth ago. Its 2011. I love my bike, I would not buy anything else. This is a good first bike. Its not too small or big, just right.
I hope you both enjoy riding.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'd agree to take the MSF course before you even buy a bike. But I wouldn't agree to buying a new 2011 Phantom. You might be ok with the Phantom, but your boyfriend might want more power.
Shadows are EVERYWHERE. I can go on Craigslist right now and find god knows how many late model Shadows for $2,500-4,000. For the price of 1 new Phantom, you could buy two used bikes to learn on and have fun with. And then turn around and sell it for almost as much as you paid for it.

I picked up an '03 Shadow Spirit for $1100 not running that needed some work, and I'm now looking to sell it for $3K. Not saying you need to buy a project, but there's a LOT Of used bikes out there in great running shape for half the price.
The Phantom is pretty awesome looking, but I've already learned from riding this 750 that I need/want something bigger. Don't get stuck into financing something unless you're 100% sure it's what you want/need.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Also look at the Aero for you, especially if you are inseam challenged. Aero also has fork covers and VLX style bars with a comfortable pullback and more grip angle. The smaller front Spirit tire makes it more responsive and gives it a chopper attitude but overall, I recommend Aero for the ladies.

Whichever you get, be prepared to have the seat packed with more foam to increase comfort.

My $0.02

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got my very first bike and I went with a used 2002 Honda shadow 750 ace. I've been riding it for just a few days now and it is the perfect size for me as a new bike (i'm 5'7" 165lbs). I think the 750 size would be a great starter bike for both of you but your bf might want more power later. After two weeks I already can tell I am going to want a bigger bike in a year or two. But that is the thing, I don't have to have more power my first season riding because I'm learning ya know and it has more than enough power for me now. I love the 750 size and I only paid $3000 for it so to me it is the perfect bike to start out with. Another thing you could do is buy one 750 size for you, you both take turns riding on it, and then your bf can test the waters to see if he is good with the 750 or if he wants an 1100. That's what I would do. And definately take the MSF. I took it and am very happy I did. Have fun, and ride safe!

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Welcome to the horde Amy.

My suggestion would be to buy a couple of 6yr old bikes, an 1100 and a 750. This way your initial investment will be less, and leave room to breath while deciding if riding really is for you. A few new riders drop their bike off the stand or some other small mishap and the pain won't be as bad with a used bike (yeaaaaah.........riiiiight!!!!!!!!!). This will also leave some extra spending dough for bike modifications, these WILL come along. Have fun with your new found freedom, and post pics of the new rides.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Beginner MSF first, then you are learning on a small 250 that is not yours:p. Then like the others said, buy a used or two used bikes and not drop a fortune on them, true the newer rides are great, not trying to put them down. Just like some of the others said, I too bought a bike rode it 3 months and knew I had to upgrade to more power. I sold the bike for a $1000 profit and now have the right bike for me IMO. Dont rush into bikes jus tlook ask questions, test drive it and ask here for clarification on things, theres a lot of good knowledge to get here free:)
Good luck, keep us posted! And pics, we do like pics!
Coop

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome. i would go "used" if i were you two. who knows... ridin' may not be apart of you all. this way you won't waste so much money. there are some very good used bikes out there... ya just gotta find 'em.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Welcome Amy, where in N. Calif. are you two located? I agree with all the others about taking a Motorcycle Safety Course before buying (don't stop looking) then definetly buy used first and ride them for awhile then make decision's as to which way to go, 750 for you should do just fine but maybe a good 1100 for the BF....enjoy the forum.........

·
Registered
11 Posts
AMY-

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, GIRL!!! YAHOO!!!

1. first "advice" (more like a commandment)
Take a motorcycle safety riding course BEFORE you buy your bikes
2. Second "advice" (very much like a commandment)
3. Third "advice" (definitely a commandment)

Am I being direct enough?

A motorcycle course is a perfect opportunity to practice on someone else's bike. You get to see what design/style bike you like and, to a point, what size you feel comfortable on.

4. Fourth advice.
Skip the Phantom for the time being. get a smaller and less expensive OLDER bike to make all your learning mistakes on. You will make mistakes. We all have.
Shadows are dependable, sturdy, secure, stable, great for beginners and for experts and relatively inexpensive. After a year or more - you can move "up" to a fancier bike and/or a bike with more chrome. (Chrome is expensive to replace and it scratches soooo EASILY).

Unless you've got experience with motorcycles/dirtbikes I wouldn't start out on a 750 cc. (That 's not a suggestion.) plus - Whatever bike you buy - make sure you can straddle the bike flat footed with your boots on. It's a safety/comfort zone consideration.

so- there's my two rupees worth.

Feel free to ask more questions!!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down and the smiley side up!!!

Jules

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I agree. Take the basic MSF Course. Here is a link to get info on it

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Im not sure about your area but here in Missouri after I took the course I got a nice discount on insurance and didnt have to take the state riding section of the license test. It was well worth the $215
The course is very informative.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Why does everyone try to dissuade someone (specifically new or potentially new riders) from buying a brand-new bike when they want to or have the $$$ to do so? I really don't get that.

Personally, I want to buy a brand-new Victory Cross Roads; should I also not do that?

When I first got back into riding, I bought used ONLY because I didn't have the $$$ to buy brand-new.

Just because someone is a new rider doesn't MEAN that they SHOULD buy used.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Why does everyone try to dissuade someone (specifically new or potentially new riders) from buying a brand-new bike when they want to or have the $$$ to do so? I really don't get that.

Personally, I want to buy a brand-new Victory Cross Roads; should I also not do that?

When I first got back into riding, I bought used ONLY because I didn't have the $$$ to buy brand-new.

Just because someone is a new rider doesn't MEAN that they SHOULD buy used.

Probably because the odds of them dropping it or biffing it somehow in the first 6 months of riding are way way way higher than someone that's ridden for awhile.

Personally i'd rather drop a 3000 bike than a 10000 bike. Cheaper to repair. Plus i think there's some intimidation with a new bike because you know it's new and don't want to ding it which makes it more likely of course that you WILL ding it.

I'd second, third or fourth whichever it is by now to get a used bike for a first bike. I'm on my fourth bike now with the shadow i just bought and i still only buy used. Buying new just doesn't seem financially smart due to depreciation and a few other reasons. I've never even considered new, i like bikes with a little character that have some history as most past owners seem more than happy to share their stories.

The bike i just bought i found out in the 20 mins i talked with the current owner that he went through 3 girlfriends while he had the bike and his scariest moment was running out of gas right after he first bought it with a semi breathing down his back and not knowing where the reserve was. Love those stories.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased brand new bike because:
1) I like the styling. I do not want to ride on something that I do not like
2) It's fuel injected. I do not want to deal with carbs and especially if its used.
3) Worry free riding.

Granted motorcycle is very simple and relatively easy to work on, but I would rather enjoy riding instead of working.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Brand new rider here, the training course was great. The next day I was out riding my new bike comfortably. Ride EVERYDAY now (whole 2 weeks) feeling very good out there. Have not ventured on LA's freeways yet :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd also recommend used. I got my 84 Shadow for a song and it has put up with all of the crap I've put it through so far.

As for the new Shadows though, Your boyfriend has good taste... I really love those Phantoms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.