Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Superbrace

Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 1994-2007 , Honda - SuperBrace - The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

This part looks impressive; just wondering if anyone has any input on how it performs on their Shadow. Sometimes I like to drive semi-aggressively, and the Shadow's forks do bow a bit.

Any info. would be appreciated.

ENOUGH monsoon!
If you want to do your front end a big favor update your springs to Progressive and up the fork oil weight to about 15w.

I was looking seriously at those braces but the general opinon is that you aren't going to really be riding the shadow agressively enough to really see an improvement worth the price of the part.

70 bucks worth of new springs and 15 bucks worth of oil is the hot ticket.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Looks to be almost as good an investment as that electric fork I bought off a TV commercial. Actually, they sent me two cuz I called within five minutes and it only added $25.95 handling charge for the second one.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Looks to be almost as good an investment as that electric fork I bought off a TV commercial. Actually, they sent me two cuz I called within five minutes and it only added $25.95 handling charge for the second one.

Oh they work, I used them on dirt bikes all the time when I was riding dirt - just that the shadow isn't really the 'best' use of the product imo. I suspect improvement will be negligible even noticable, but probably not nearly as much as new springs (fresh bushing if necessary) and slightly heavier weight oil.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
It has its obvious benefits, but. Do the research and there's numerous examples where misalignments have been locked in as well as been prevented (your forks were aligned to start off with). The logic went something like this .... with the stock setup, the length of fork tube below the triple tree bridge is free to move abouts and tolerates some dynamic misalignment between the two forks. Adding a fork brace mid length limits the flexibility and the degree of misalignment before your forks are permanently bent out of whack. The front fender does serve as a brace of sorts.

I don't suppose you can go wrong with older Honda bikes which came factory equipped with fork braces by design. Barring that, there's a trade off between the advantages and disadvantages like about anything else. It's indispensable on dirt bikes because of the terrain they've ridden on. Otherwise, might be overkill. Your bike.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
As a FORMER Superbike Racer.... If you are pushing a Shadow Hard enough to need a brace, you need a different bike or major fork rebuild. The brakes are NOT strong enough to BOW the forks. Start with upgrading the springs and oil, that is where the weaknes is. Heck just going to 15wt oil would be more valuable than the brace. Oil 25-50% improvement. Spring 50-100% improvement. Brace some improvement in those turns where you go from 4th gear (top speed down) to 1 gear, the bike will not make the turn by the way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Back in the 70's I used fork braces on dirt bikes & they did help. Of course they had pretty wimpy forks back then. I doubt very much you would see much difference on your Shadow though. I agree with the oil & spring suggestions. You did,'t mention what tires you are running. I switched from the stock Dunlop's to Metzler ME880's & they handle much better. The front end sticks substantially better, and they last much longer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
can't believe they want 150 bucks for a small piece of metal that has dubious benefits.

I think everything motorcycle related must have a 200% markup.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Progressive springs and 15wt fork oil was a big improvement for me. Also dump the rear shocks for anything that is not stock. It will be an improvement.

If you aren't happy after that, there are also the Racetech Cartridge Emulators. I am thinking of getting these next year, as I can never be satisfied. At some point I hope to end up with a front end, single sided swingarm, and wheels off of a VFR 800. I know, I know, why spend 5 grand to mod a 3,000 bike. Because I can!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
As a FORMER Superbike Racer.... If you are pushing a Shadow Hard enough to need a brace, you need a different bike or major fork rebuild. The brakes are NOT strong enough to BOW the forks. Start with upgrading the springs and oil, that is where the weaknes is. Heck just going to 15wt oil would be more valuable than the brace. Oil 25-50% improvement. Spring 50-100% improvement. Brace some improvement in those turns where you go from 4th gear (top speed down) to 1 gear, the bike will not make the turn by the way.
+100

Your Shadow's fender has an adequate brace built in. That aftermarket brace would be a waste of money as applicable to your cruiser.

If you were riding a GXSR, a 1000RR or a Hayabusa I'd say go for it.

And while we're at it, tell them I'm not crazy for trailing my front brake in a hard corner to keep the front tire down on the pavement. Willya please?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Funny thing is, I show'd a NooB Rocket Rider friend how to keep the wheel down, By demonstrating with the Shadow. My Shadow aint much for wheelies.... but it will lift the front wheel with a hard twist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to do your front end a big favor update your springs to Progressive and up the fork oil weight to about 15w.

I was looking seriously at those braces but the general opinon is that you aren't going to really be riding the shadow agressively enough to really see an improvement worth the price of the part.

70 bucks worth of new springs and 15 bucks worth of oil is the hot ticket.
Thanks for the advice, I think that's the way I'll go. I would like to beef the front end a bit. I'm not equipped, know-how or tool/shop wise to do this myself. $85 parts is less than I would have expected. How much labor time would be reasonable for new fork springs?

I appreciate the response from everybody on this, I won't be purchasing the Superbrace.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Do it yourself. Only take basic tools and a manual. The Manual you can download from this site. I would change the seals while I was at it, but if the are OK, is not required. Hardest part of changing springs, is putting the Fork Caps back on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts