Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My turn signal was starting to act up, not signaling left unless I monkeyed with it. Time to clean.
I thought I would post this, to help anyone who is having the same problem.
It's easy to do and only takes a few minutes.
My bike is a 2000 ACE T, I assume most other Honda switches are similar.

I removed the 2 screws that hold the switch housing together. Carefully pull the 2 halves apart. I did not remove it from the handle bar, and did not disconnect anything. Just let it hang.
Use electrical contact cleaner. I wish I had not lost the little plastic spray tube, but I did fine without it. Do not use anything else (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc), as some cleaners will attack plastic parts.
The contacts are hard to see, I marked one of them (I am holding turn signal in the right direction, so you can see the back side of the left contact). The front contacts are on a plastic slider, and you can not see them.
I chose to not disassemble any further, as I didn't think it was necessary.
I sprayed the cleaner liberally inside the switch. Clean everywhere you can with Q Tips. Spray while moving turn signal switch left and right, back and forth. After it's all cleaned up, give a few minutes to dry out.
I applied lube to the slider only, where I have it marked in the photo. I don't know what the correct lube to use is, but I used Militec-1 grease. It is designed for military firearms, and is good at all extreme temps. I applied only a tiny amount, with a toothpick.
Reassemble, and my turn signals work fine now. While at it, work your hi/low beam and horn switches, and blast them out too.
Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. I blasted mine with contact cleaner without taking them apart. It helped, but it needs to be taken apart. Thanks for the write up.

Chris

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was doing, but you'll see when you take it apart, that the blasting from the outside can't work well. It's not a straight shot from the slot on the outside, and is only a temporary fix until you can open it up.
Dan

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thanks. Great and for me very timely write-up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wouldn't dielectric grease have made more sense to use?

Damian
I don't think he lubed any electrically active parts (ie contacts) - just the guide and pivot points.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Photo was great, as was the write-up.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my mid-level cleaning didn't help long. I had to take apart the switch assy, and there are two floating contacts with little springs behind them. One contact was stuck, from the old grease from the factory that hardened and got gummy.
I completely disassembled it, cleaned off old grease, cleaned up the contacts, reassembled, and regreased with dielectric grease. Works great now.
Not hard to do, just keep up with the little parts.
Dan

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've never had good luck trying to clean any of those switches without taking them completely apart. Spray cleaners always seem to be temporary. Did the ones on my son's Virago this weekend. Took over an hour, but they work like new.

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Good write up there Dan!!!
I`ve done cleaned and lubed all the switches on the handlebars, some more than once...
I use an Electrical Joint Compound on those itty bitty contacts in these switches after a thorough washing with contact cleaner...
The first to give me problems was the starter switch, then the turnsignals...
Since I was doing whichever side, I clean them all on that side now, when I gotta do it, being as they`re all encased together anyhow...
Love wrenching, enjoy riding trouble free moreso...
Healing,
D :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I need to do my starter switch and while I'm at it, I'll then do my turn signal switch as well.

New to me '05 Shadow 750 w/ just over 24K on it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Don't neglect the killswitch. For months I had an intermittent problem losing power and it coming back in a few seconds. Not fun at 80 mph. Checked everything I could think of, then it occurred to me that the symptom felt just like hitting the killswitch and turning it back on. Took it apart and sprayed with some Radio Shack contact cleaner, and it's been great for a year now.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Unable to ride this past weekend due to snow, but remembered reading this thread while looking at the bike, so I took the switch apart, cleaned and lubed w/white lithium grease.

Much better! Thanks for the great help!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Timely

Thank you for the instructions and photo. I detailed my bike yesterday and this morning discovered the turn signal switch was wonky (exactly what you described your switch doing). Nice to know I can handle this one on my own thanks to your instructions. :cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
My starter switch was acting up recently. I tried contact cleaner, but it didn't help.

I pried the switch case open, bent the sliding contact points up a bit, and re-assembled. It's working like a champ now and firing up every time! ;)

Ride Safely!
John.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My two cents....

You might want to read the can when using contact cleaner. Make sure it is safe on plastic. Products like Lectra Clean work great but eat plastic. A pencil eraser works great to shine up the contacts also. :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.