Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have cleaned them and will be putting them back on soon. is it given that I need to sync my carbs?

i have seen the diy stuff on the forum, but due to money, will not be able to make it (from what I understand, it costs around $50 to make?). does anyone know of a place that I may be rent a manometer from?

thanks!

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
i have seen the diy stuff on the forum, but due to money, will not be able to make it (from what I understand, it costs around $50 to make?)
HUH? $1.55 to maybe as much as $4 if you go fancy and add vacuum restricters. These inexpensive ones work just about as well or better than anything you can buy or rent -- at least on a 2-cylinder bike.

Build, rent or buy, you'll need vacuum port adapters. Easy to make but probably would cost as much as this $5 set.

is it given that I need to sync my carbs?
Nope. You can stall a lot if you prefer.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most certainly if you separated them. If not, you can check to see if both butterfly's open at the same time or very close. To get the best performance you should sync them on the bike.

with them off the bike, when i open the throttle, everything appears to open at the same time. i did not separate them when i cleaned them. i just clean the jets, float valve, the diaphragm and needle, just as the manual instructed.

is this what you mean by "both butterfly's open at the same time"?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
4,011 Posts
If you didn't separate them, you're essentially fine. At least...you're essentially as fine as you were before you cleaned them.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
No, that's not right. Bad sync makes the bike run rough at idle but it shouldn't cause stalling.
And if it does, just crank up the idle RPMs until it doesn't.

so if it doesn't run rough at all and run fine, does that mean it is good?
Maybe. That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense to drop $50+ on the equipment to check. But $7 to $9? Checking as part of the follow-up after removal and cleaning makes sense. Get them synced well and you might have a new definition for "running fine."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.