Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I think I have my mind made up on these t bars with the 8" rise.

I was reading that the Spirit cables vs the Sabre cables is a difference of about 4".

My question is does anybody have experience with these bars on a 2003 Sabre and would the Spirit cables do the trick or am I looking at custom cables?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,222 Posts
You should be able to re-route factory cables and lines to reach those bars. May have to go behind the tree or have a little finagling but they should work. If you really have issues with cables reaching I’ve read here that Goldwing cables can have more length and the same cable ends, but don’t quote me on that.

Reactions: Dime

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
You better be ready to muscle your bike at low speeds with the Tbars. A cool look can be just that but...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You may want to trial fit them 1st. When I switched to T bars on another brand bike that had similar to the Spirit bars, I needed shorter cables. The Sabre cables may be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may want to trial fit them 1st. When I switched to T bars on another brand bike that had similar to the Spirit bars, I needed shorter cables. The Sabre cables may be fine.

They are on the bike and work great. Am actually considering getting a set of riser extensions to raise it up a bit. Have to pull them off and see how much more slack I can get with rerouting the cables. The cables are in stock location now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the la choppers 2" riser extensions. Works really well however the riser extensions has a 1/2" bolt hole the bars I have are M12 so that extra slack does not make it quite centered on the triple tree bushing. Thinking of fabbing up a sleeve to center up the M12 bolt in the riser extensions.

The bars now have 10" rise and 2" pullback. All stock cables in stock routing position.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I did that once, hobby shop had various sizes of thin brass tubing. Found a couple sections that slid together and got me within a few thousandths. Small tubing cutter made it easy..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had my buddy the machinist sleeve the two risers for me to a perfect slip fit. Should all line up nicely now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fitted t bars after. Used a set of Yamaha Stryker bars. Used factory cables in stock position.
[/QUOTElooks great, how do they feel? Are you saying that you just bought the bars and installed them with stick cables in stock position? How's the pullback? Are you sitting straighter than before? On my stock Sabre, I'm sitting forward, I'm really leaning forward and it kills my back. I need a better riding position.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
JayBeard666 if you are still using the stock seat, I'd suggest a Mustang Vintage as they are extremely comfortable and they hold you in position otherwise with stock setup, you're losing a uphill battle. The Sabre and the Valkyrie share almost the same style handlebar ergonomics. Motorcycle Stock Handlebars Measurements - Stock Bars
My biggest issue was too much pullback (14") and not enough width (33") and the stock seat was very much similar to a Shadow seat. I replaced the seats with 2000 and later Valk set and they're very much like a Mustang Vintage and went with these J&P Cycles 1 Chrome 8-1-2 Custom Street Medium Handlebar 5000066 J&P Cycles . This is the second time using them and they cured my comfort and low speed handling in conjunction with stock seat replacement with Mustang and the Valk later model seat. As for cables, you should have plenty of length even with increase in height. The Valk cables gained more slack with this conversion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
JayBeard666 if you are still using the stock seat, I'd suggest a Mustang Vintage as they are extremely comfortable and they hold you in position otherwise with stock setup, you're losing a uphill battle. The Sabre and the Valkyrie share almost the same style handlebar ergonomics. Motorcycle Stock Handlebars Measurements - Stock Bars
My biggest issue was too much pullback (14") and not enough width (33") and the stock seat was very much similar to a Shadow seat. I replaced the seats with 2000 and later Valk set and they're very much like a Mustang Vintage and went with these J&P Cycles 1 Chrome 8-1-2 Custom Street Medium Handlebar 5000066 J&P Cycles . This is the second time using them and they cured my comfort and low speed handling in conjunction with stock seat replacement with Mustang and the Valk later model seat. As for cables, you should have plenty of length even with increase in height. The Valk cables gained more slack with this conversion.
Hey man, thank you for taking the time to give me your advice. I love my 2006 Saber, I really do. I really like the seat too, but I don't like the handlebars. They just don't have enough pullback for me and it leaves me leaning forward to hike the grips. I just wanna lean back likes do on my other shadow. The bars you showed me are AWESOME! Did you say that you put them on with your stock cables? I do t know if the Sabre has the length, but those bars look comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts