Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ever Sturgis Run will begin Aug. 5, 2011

Insteadda me looking at everhowmany site choices, I`m sure someone here will share good link to the activities in and around Sturgis Bike event...

We will be in the area fer a few days during this historic event, I`ve heard of SO MANY things I need to see and do...

What are some of our Honda Shadow members favorites???

Come back,
Dennis

·
Registered
546 Posts
My first ever Sturgis Run will begin Aug. 5, 2011

Insteadda me looking at everhowmany site choices, I`m sure someone here will share good link to the activities in and around Sturgis Bike event...

We will be in the area fer a few days during this historic event, I`ve heard of SO MANY things I need to see and do...

What are some of our Honda Shadow members favorites???

Come back,
Dennis
Let's talk on the phone - check your PM - I am in Los Angeles and riding to Sturgis through Yellowstone ( days there) then to Sturgis. I have been to Sturgis 4x. I am hooked. Easier to speak about it.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking to hook up with members, Thank You fer contacting me...
I`ll call after the sun comes up in your necko`the woods...
Interstates all the way fer this band of southGA gypsies going out, No plans fer coming home as yet...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am just down the rode from Sturgis, hence we hit the rally on an annual basis. You can certainly look us up if interested...Dave, 605-210-0455...19067 Bonato Rd., Belle Fourche, SD. Just a couple of things to make sure to add to your agenda... Hulett on Wednesday (add Devil's Tower just for good measure)...a stop on the way back from Heulitt at the Stonehouse Bar (on Hwy 34 outside of Belle Fourche)...a Sugar Burger from the Sugar Shack on Hwy 385....A beer and some peanuts in Big Bertha's, downtown Sturgis...A Deadwood Run sometime during the week...at least one concert at the Chip (see website for details)...cruse up and down Mainstreet at least once (riding or walking) just to take in the spectical...just a few suggestions to get you started...Just go with the flow, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
4 southGA gypsies headed out staurday the 6th arriving Sturgis area the 8th...
Three "greenhornes" one 'Sturgis veteran' ...
Some of your suggestions are already on our list of things...
Still open fer suggestions too...
Thank You,
Dennis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dennis & Co....

I might suggest one other thing if it interests you, stop in Belle Fourche and have a pic of you and your bike on the Center of the Nation Monument...yeah, it technically is, but you have to include Alaska and Hawaii. The true spot is 20 some miles to the north, but you have to traverse gravel, a pasture, possible rattlers, cow dung, etc; so they built the monuent in town. Anyway, makes for a good photo opp. Talk to the wife (Teresa, she's the Chamber Exec.) and I'll have her save you a Center of the Nation pins.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pop, I`ve got your (cell?) phone # saved...
Maybe we can put a handshake to our relationship...
That and thanks fer tips and pins...
I hope we can see everything we wanna see ~ in the time we`re in the area...
There IS SO MUCH!!!
Dennis
Serenity Ride?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a fun ride, I really envy you.
I hurt my back several years ago, not disabled just pain, and can't stand to ride for more than 30 or 40 minutes at a time.
What modifications have you done to your bike to be able to ride for long periods? I would love to be able to do a road trip again.
Be safe!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like a fun ride, I really envy you.
I hurt my back several years ago, not disabled just pain, and can't stand to ride for more than 30 or 40 minutes at a time.
What modifications have you done to your bike to be able to ride for long periods? I would love to be able to do a road trip again.
Be safe!
I have a friend who is a heck of a fabricator in upstate NY that custom modified a Harley for his cousin who lost his right leg in Iraq (at the knee). He made a up an extended shift pedal that is OCC worthy. His cousin showed it to someone else who then asked him if he could do something for his brother, another disabled vet. This guy is missing his arm. Bill made his clutch foot operated, like a car (the dude uses the front brakes a lot). The second guy is my hero. I met him last winter. He works two jobs, without an arm, and refuses to accept the Gov't assistance he is entitled too, for some reason. Says, "I can still work, what do I need the free money for?" Me, I'd probably take it as compensation for the missing arm.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, if either of you guys need some custom mods for you bikes to make them more comfortable to ride, let me know.

I need to see some road pictures Captain. I assume you'll be hitting Mt.Rushmore. I 've always wanted to see that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good info there.
I am hoping the change to a cruiser will help with a more upright position, but a lot of it is just being in one position for a long period of time.
Yah, I could maybe qualify for a partial disability and get some of my medical covered, but there are people out there that are really hurting and need the charity. People who can't even walk or are bedridden.
I can hold a job, just as anyone that can ride a bike can, so I leave the charity for those who really need it.
Every man has a burden, some more than others. Many carry a much bigger one than I, but no man lays down and gets taken care of unless he has no other option.
That is one thing I really like about the biker community. It is full of self reliant people that believe in personal responsibility and freedom.
It is rare to run into a freeloader, and when one shows up he usually gets tossed right away.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Said and Done!!! Count Down complete, Mission accomplished...
Sturgis 2011 is now memory, Pikes Peak too...
5,300 miles in 13 days paid its toll on this old man, AND, I earned my "I rode Mine" Sturgis Patch...
450 pics to download, I`ll share some here when I get it done...
Priorty one to catch up on Hunny Doos...
I have no modifications to the Bike, I pack a "sea bag" and use it as a backrest, plus the CrashBar with pegs allows 5 different feet resting positions, I think that is a GOOD thing for the broke back and repaired lower extremities problems I have...
Thanks fer the well wishes and prayer Y`all,
Dennis

·
Registered
546 Posts
Captain D and I met up for breakfast at Sturgis. Great to put a handshake with a name - as Capt'n D says.
We got a chance to share a few moments when it was time to get on the road again.
I did 3300 miles - not a much as Capt'n D - in 11 days. My 1350 miles home, did in 2 days 830 and 520. Probably the biggest comfort item on my bike is the air pillow, Crazy Creek Canoe Pad.- never a butt issue no matter how long in the saddle, because my butt never touches that hard thing.
Can't wait to see a summary grouping of Capt'n D's photos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A long trip and back safe. That is success in my book.
I needed different foot positions on long trips even in my youth. You are lucky that your injury does not prevent you from doing the things you love.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

I like meeting You, ihavethespirit...Thanks fer the handshake and photo...

AND Thanks fer the "Center of the Nation" tip Papa Chantz...

And Thank You Girls!!!

Here`s a link to the album I`ve been working on since Sunday evening...
Thanks to AT&T Dial Up Service!!!
I reckon it`s better than NO Service??
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/AnnDennis/Sturgis 2011/
Enjoy,
Dennis

·
Registered
546 Posts
You got some great shots - good memories. I hope our paths cross again!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts