Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2004 VT1100C2 Sabre, and recently installed a tachometer. Would anyone know if there's a published redline for my bike, or maybe have a suggestion where I could go to find it? I know I can use seat of my pants feel, but I'd like an "official" number if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think there's a "redline" so much because there's a rev limiter. I'm not finding the specs online, but I've got an '04 750 Aero and the rev limiter kicks in around 6000 RPMs generally.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The Sabre should have a governor. It should kick in around 6000-6500 rpm. You should be able to tell when you hit it. Your bike should feel like it is losing power, shuddering, and running out of fuel if you don't back off the throttle or shift to a higher gear. I do not know if the Sabre will hit the governor in 5th gear. You shouldn't be hitting the governor under normal riding conditions. It is a cruiser. It does not have a high revving engine for a motorcycle.

If you want to test where the governor kicks in check your owners manual for the maximum speed in each gear try hitting it in the first couple gears and see if the governor kicks in and if it is at the same rpm in each gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about the rev limiter, nor the idea of checking the owner's manual recommended speeds per gear. I'm really liking this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about the rev limiter, nor the idea of checking the owner's manual recommended speeds per gear. I'm really liking this forum.
Now that you have a tach installed, it should be easy to tell what your top end is when the rev limiter kicks in after a couple of times. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone, for helping me out on this. It's not really that I don't know when I've hit the rev limiter as much as a curiosity as to what Honda published vs. what I'm feeling and seeing. CS Road came up with probably the best published source I'm going to find (the EPA), and I need to complement him on even knowing to look there.

So, the good ol' EPA... who'da thunk they could actually do something useful. But now I've got a number... well, two actually, and it's the torque number (97.1 @ 3000) which has me excited. Can't wait to go ride now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The EPA Certification (http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/veh-cert/cert-tst/04m.txt) says 48 hp @ 5500 rpm.
Probably not much sense in winding it much tighter than that without various engine mods or good reason.
A lot of those numbers are way different than other peoples specs. Several bikes not just this one. A lot of the torque numbers are way up there. I don't think a 750 Shadow has 60+ ft lbs of torque when most sites would state around 45 to 47.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I must be missing something. I thought the purpose of knowing the redline generally was that it would indicate when peak h.p. or torque was reached which in turn would indicate a good shift point if peak performance is the goal.

In my case, I'm interested in driving torque to top output, shifting, and doing it again. And for that, the rpm numbers that are key. But the 3000 rpms for torque published by the EPA are waaaaaay too low, at least for this purpose, so.....whatssup? Where am I going wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Look for dyno charts for the shadow. This is the best one I found in a very quick search and is supposedly two runs on a 2009 Shadow 750:

I can't tell from context if the higher run is just a second run (sometimes they vary) or if it's supposed to represent a performance addition from Thunder Mfg (they sell a jet kit, hypercharger kit, and more)

Either way, I've seen a few graphs that look similar, so even if the numbers aren't perfect, it seems the shape of the curve might be about right.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It depends on how you are planning on riding. Are you going to take off full throttle from every light and only upshift when it quits speeding up or closer to normal cruiser riding? The Sabre is a cruiser. It is not a high performance bike but it makes its torque at lower rpms.

Peak torque should be around 3200 rpms and peak horsepower is around 5300 rpms. Most cars and motorcycles do not make their peak power at redline.

I can't tell you the rpm I shift at because my bike does not have a tach. I go by sound and speed.

If you want a baseline to try and start out with try shifting to 2nd at 20mph, 3rd at 30-35, 4th 40-45, and 5th 50-55 during normal riding.

I wouldn't make a habit of shifting at the governor or running it up to 5300 rpms between shifts unless you do not care about fuel mileage or plan on fixing and replacing parts at much shorter intervals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Spudbuzz. It's not so much that I want to max out my torque all the time, stoplight to stoplight, but rather that I want to be able to. I know it's a cruiser, but secretly (don't let anyone know) I wish my Sabre was a Super Hawk 996, which fit my riding temperament better. So, as it is, I sometimes ride my cruiser like a sportbike, for kicks. And I'm still searching for those dyno charts you mentioned, hoping to somehow find that magic rpm number, like a Holy Grail of sorts, the one that will let me ride the way I was meant to ride. For kicks. Sometimes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Spudbuzz, for the Sabre article. Great information. Still playing around with tach and rpms, but in the meantime, that article has got me thinking about something else. It may be time for Thread #2.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Well, I must be missing something. I thought the purpose of knowing the redline generally was that it would indicate when peak h.p. or torque was reached which in turn would indicate a good shift point if peak performance is the goal.

In my case, I'm interested in driving torque to top output, shifting, and doing it again. And for that, the rpm numbers that are key. But the 3000 rpms for torque published by the EPA are waaaaaay too low, at least for this purpose, so.....whatssup? Where am I going wrong?
You need to ride by the seat of your pants and listening to your engine...get to know your bike. Peak performance bah humbug till you know your bike. Fighting headwinds, loads, riding one up or two up, added weight of accessories, quality of gas all change the mpg and performance.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Banned
2019 Phantom VT750C2B [black/ shaft/ 5gear/ hard bags/ shield]
57 Posts
I ride a 2004 VT1100C2 Sabre, and recently installed a tachometer. Would anyone know if there's a published redline for my bike, or maybe have a suggestion where I could go to find it? I know I can use seat of my pants feel, but I'd like an "official" number if possible. Thanks.
The standard safe limit when you're testing a battery is 2500 rpm according to my tools; anything above that you're probably running from the cops or wearing out and damaging your engine. I've never revved very high revs on any of my motorcycles even the ones with Tach's, they are my babies. When I test my battery, on a non-tach, I rev it to a slight feel by ear, a slight edge and no higher. Besides, you don't need a tachometer, you are on a cruiser, you're not racing. Keep you eyes on the road and enjoy the ride. Peace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey. I know this is an old thread. Any chance you can tell me what wires you hooked up to the tach to make it work? And what tach you used. I’ve tried several tachs and different wiring configurations and can’t get it to work. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts