Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 5'10'' female. I love my 02 Spirit 750. I love the handling and it's enough power for the riding I do.

But lately my long legs have felt uncomfortable on long rides. I was thinking a new bike was in order and I was drooling over the VTX 1300. So this thread (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38519) really helped me to appreciate all the things I love about my Spirit.

I would put forward controls, but I have crash bars. I like my crash bars and hate to take them off.

I'm thinking maybe highway bars that clamp onto the crash bars, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I jumped into that. Or if anyone has some they really like and where you got them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ginny

If you're thinking about a different bike to accomodate your height, take a look at the Spirit 1100. I was looking at a 750 Spirit but did not feel entirely comfortable legroom wise (I'm 6'3"). Once I sat on the 1100 it was all over but the paperwork!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a set of stand alone highway bars (not attached to crash bars). They are the equivalent of putting 4" forward controls on your bike. Problem is that they lift your legs instead of letting them stretch. A week after the highway bars were put on i received my 4" forward controls (custom ones from ebay that some guy makes and sells for $150). I havent used the highway bar since. 4" forward controls are way more comfortable than the highway bar.

I have an 02 750 Spirit as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am interested in a bigger bike, but I do love my 750. Maybe I'll have to go sit on some other models and see what I think.

Also, on the forward controls, you don't have crash bars, right? If I don't get a bigger bike, it looks like I might have to give up my crash bars...

Oh the frustration! :) This is why I wanted some input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I am 6'5" and the Sabre 1100 (The Spirt's, well dressed cousin :roll: ) gets a little uncomfy for my long legs after a while. But, it should fit a 5'10" frame easy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm 6'4" and ride a Spirit. I found that it wasn't leg position that caused discomfort, but the pegs. Floor boards solved all my problems.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Scanogram said:
I'm 6'4" and ride a Spirit. I found that it wasn't leg position that caused discomfort, but the pegs. Floor boards solved all my problems.
yeah, I need to get some floorboards made... I figure that would help

I wear a 15 EEEE boot so I traced it onto some paperboard to make a template and get two made.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Correct, i do not have crash bars on the bike. I doubt they would fit. Thats why i opted for the stand alone highway bar that attaches on the frame behind the radiator.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Ginny. Forum lurker here, and I'm a neighbor to your west. I have the exact same bike as you, complete with the engine guards. I also have pretty long legs (34" inseam), so I know how you feel. When I changed out the stock seat for a Mustang seat, my seating position changed -- it was a little more comfortable for me. However, I'm really leaning toward highway pegs on the engine guards just so I can stretch a bit.

Sometimes I think about upgrading to a SS 1100, but I just love the way my 750 rides and reacts...and fits in the garage between my car and the wall. ;)

Rhonda

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I'll just be the bad apple and tempt you toward the 1300. Plenty-o leg room.

Beck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sure appreciate all the input.

I started riding two years ago and got this Spirit from a poor fellow who discovered he had inner ear problems (balance problems) after riding it only 20 miles. Although I REALLY wanted the Sabre, this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Everybody said if I went smaller on my first bike, I would bump up quickly, but I really like the Spirit's handling. I do like me a good set of twisties!

I have a Mustang seat. I like it, but you are right, it didn't change my riding position much. Maybe I should just try floorboards, forward controls, or highway pegs -- and buy from a reputable place that would maybe take them back in 30 days if it didn't make it better.

You guys are great. It's great to talk to folks who ride the same bike. No one in my riding group has one. Thanks!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am 6'4" and have a 750 ACE. I am quite comfortable on the bike.
I have crash bars, and the adjustable Kuryakyn pegs. I was able to swing them enough so I can totally stretch out my legs (34 inseam) no problem.
I had been thinking of forward controls, but also did not want to give up my crash bars. I am however thinking of getting floorboards eventually, but they are just so dam expensive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vampyre, you and I seem to think a lot alike.

Ok, you convinced me to try the highway bars first and see how it goes. Like you said, that's a $120 investment vs. a $450+ for good forward controls or $250 for floorboards.

I see a link to motortourinc.com on this site, so I can support the site and get my pegs!

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
GinnyTX said:
Everybody said if I went smaller on my first bike, I would bump up quickly, but I really like the Spirit's handling. I do like me a good set of twisties!
Yeah, me too. If you haven't already made the trip to Marble Falls, you should. Lime Creek Road and Park Road 4 (To Inks Lake State Park) are both a kick with a few really fun twisties. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ginny,

The kuryaken adjustable pegs are great and really allow you to stretch the legs. Take a look at them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got lucky and a super nice guy here local posted some Kyryakyn highway pegs on Craigslist. I just got them last night. I used them on the ride home and it was a real nice change.

I still have some adjustments to do to get them just right. I was going to go with some cheap ones, but I'm glad I got these since they have a couple of different adjustable joints to place the pegs in just about any position.

Thanks for all your help. You saved me from spending my cash wad on a new bike........ for now :).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts