Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me how I can't find a single tall sissy bar for such a ubiquitous motorcycle. There is hundreds of thousands of Honda shadows and yet I can't seem to find a single tall sissy bar for my phantom 750. If anyone knows a place that makes them, please share! All I can find is the short ones with the back rest and they're too short for me and my camping gear.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
Reactions: Le_Sammy

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,938 Posts
Maybe you should consider towing a trailer for camping or pack/outfit differently with the lower rise backrest. Addition of a rack works well also. If packing for two, I suggest motels. ;) Here's a list that might help deciding on importance of items, etc. Using a large tank bag helps balance the weight also as too much can effect handling especially steep inclines. There were luggage systems that link to each other not dependent on how high a sissy bar can reach. This is a cheaper version of a discontinued Dowco Iron Rider setup.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had the same issue, not only too short, but too far forward to work with my Mustang seat properly. My solution was to make a new set of side plates that I just bolted to the existing ones, moving the backrest up 4" and back 2". I used 1/8" stainless steel plate I had around, but aluminum should also work and be easier to polish. (Trust me there, got probably 35 hours in cutting, forming and polishing the stainless.

Before:

After:

Final result:

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,045 Posts
Made my own with the factory luggage rack hardware, bent some 3/8” round stock over my knee and bolted it up. Could be as tall as you want, I chose 20” but could easily be made twice as tall. Was like $9 in materials since I already had the luggage rack mounts.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
Classic simplicity.
I can almost guarantee my knee wouldn't like that kind of brake job.
I 'd have to use a log, pipe, column or ? (-;
Did you heat and beat the ends a bit flat to take bolts?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,045 Posts
Classic simplicity.
I can almost guarantee my knee wouldn't like that kind of brake job.
I 'd have to use a log, pipe, column or ? (-;
Did you heat and beat the ends a bit flat to take bolts?
Nah, I used some 1/4” diameter bolts so the bar was plenty wide for the hardware I used, I also tapped the bar itself plus used nuts on the end to bolt up, did whip up some conical/curved washers to bolt everything up flat.

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got one from Cobra, for a 2009 Shadow aero 750. My Honda dealer couldn't get a stock one, and the parts guy suggested the taller backrest for passengers, said the short ones might be tough on the lower back. The install was straight forward. It came with bolts. I even had to remove and reinstall because I forgot to put the saddle bags on before the seat. My understanding is that Cobra also sells a rack that attaches to their seat back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone explain to me how I can't find a single tall sissy bar for such a ubiquitous motorcycle. There is hundreds of thousands of Honda shadows and yet I can't seem to find a single tall sissy bar for my phantom 750. If anyone knows a place that makes them, please share! All I can find is the short ones with the back rest and they're too short for me and my camping gear.

Thanks in advance!
I just picked up a Cobra tall backrest, it seems to work well, the installation was straight forward and easy. I had to redo the install for saddle bags. Bolts came with the kit. Cobra also seems to make a rack for the back of the back rest. 2009 Honda shadow aero.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ask a local metal fence shop what they can do.
Back in the 70s, a piece of rebar, bent in high school metal shop, and diy brackets= looked like something from the movie Easy Rider

1 - 11 of 11 Posts