Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at magnetic tank bags for my VT500C so I can carry without it digging into my wife's leg riding 2 up. Is it ok to get a bag that would go over the gas cap? The 500 only has 10" clearance from seat to the cap which really limits choices.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't see why not. The only issue that I could see is the magnet placement on the bag itself. Obviously you want all of the magnets to be securely fastened to the tank itself.

I've never done it myself but I don't see any real issues coming from it. I know it's not a definitive answer but hopefully it helps you somewhat.

FreakShow

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe you can make something yourself that is suitable to your needs. Rare earth magnets could hold anything to your tank, just becareful using them. They will suck towards your sweet, weak metal tank like a bullet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I got a strap mount bag for my old CB750 and just bought another set of straps so I can use it on Lazurus.
Magnetic bags have some issues like potentially damaging the paint etc. and I personally feel the straps are more secure - plus you can cinch down the straps tighter than a magnet setup.
The bag covers the fuel cap and the fuel and temp gauges, so when I use it gotta pay more attention to the tripmeter...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jpr1968--is it likely to be bad if the bag is only on when I'm riding? I have no intent to store the bag on the bike. part of the reason for looking at magnetic bags is so I can take it off easily.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Care should be taken when mounting the bags to ensure the magnets haven't picked up stray metallic debris before mounting it to the thank as mega scratches will ensue!!

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Jpr1968--is it likely to be bad if the bag is only on when I'm riding? I have no intent to store the bag on the bike. part of the reason for looking at magnetic bags is so I can take it off easily.
Riders I know that have used tank bags complained about the gas smell. If you find a bag that has a non absorbant bottom on it, it might be okay but as pointed out you may run into running issues with putting the bag over the gas cap. The cap acts tow ways, first it vents excess fuel vapors from the tank and also allows air to enter tank so that a vacuum doesn't keep gas from flowing. If you have a backrest I would look at getting something like a T-bag or other backrest bags. A lot of them have backback straps so that you can carry it around easily.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just welded up a luggage rack for the back, but it'll be for a gas can on some longer trips. This is mostly for some longer overnight trips when I'll have some clothes in the saddle bags. The other times I'll use it is in some of the bad areas around here where I need to carry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.