Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while it doesn't really bother me persay. It probably will eventually.

There's a mild dent on the right side of my tank. Paint isn't cracked.
How do I correct it. Is it a silimilar method as say pulling a dent from a car body panel?
Screenshot_20200225-140734.png

Attachments

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
That is what body men would refer to as a "soft dent". That means that it doesn't appear creased or stretched so will pop out fairly easily. First thing I would try is to seal it up best you can and pump air into it. Chances are thats all it'll take

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
I have one of those dent puller tools that works pretty well for soft dents.
But here is video about other ways that just may work for you. It's a bit wacky but worth a lesson and a laugh.
I can't believe the hand full of glue sticks but may be the easy fix. The hot glue comes off the paint easily with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Me & my Bike tumbled 140 feet back in April when we hit that Deer...
It didn`t dent the tank, but I couldn`t load it when we picked it up in May, someone else loaded it and it fell on the trailer and dented the tank!
I gotta address this too...
Mine is similar to that one you got in yours...
I`ll go to a friend who has a shop and see what he thinks...
Good luck with it,
Dennis

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how I feel about exploding a ball in my tank lol bit the glue may be worth a laugh

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,217 Posts
Get a free estimate from a local paintless dent removal guy, it might surprise you.
Just let him know it is not an insurance job, you are not worried about the paper work and would be paying cash. (-;

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
I paid $50 or a paintless dent remove. It took only about 20 minutes, most of which was setting up shop mirrors and lights so maybe I overpaid but the result was great and alternatives were much more expensive and I am sure I would have botched it so I didn't complain.

G.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's a product on the market called pops-dent that works well. It can be found at most parts stores. It uses a hot glue gun to glue a what looks like a suction cup dart onto the center of the dent. There's an arch you put over it and thread a knob onto the dart, and slowly start turning the knob. It works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
479 Posts
Get a free estimate from a local paintless dent removal guy, it might surprise you.
Just let him know it is not an insurance job, you are not worried about the paper work and would be paying cash. (-;
This.

The metal on a gas tank is usually a good deal thicker than on the body of a car, so I would think the regular dent pullers may not fair so well, or may require multiple pulls to get the dent mostly out, they won’t make it perfect.

As suggested above, I would find a good local PDR guy, pay him in cash and for his sake try to have the fuel level as low as possible. They know what they’re doing, and have the appropriate tools, should be able to get at it through the gas filler hole.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would NOT recommend compressed air. My brother had a similar dent in a tank. He slowly increased the pressure and the TUNNEL gave way, ruining the tank. That was on an 83 vt 750

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
I would NOT recommend compressed air. My brother had a similar dent in a tank. He slowly increased the pressure and the TUNNEL gave way, ruining the tank. That was on an 83 vt 750
Lmao! How much pressure did he put into the tank? The force requires to push the tunnel out indicates that he did not increase the pressure as slowly as he says he did. I've pressurized probably a hundred taks to ensure I dont have pinhole leaks in repair areas. Ive also popped soft dent that way. You put 30 to 40 lbs of air into the tank and gently tap the high ridge with a soft rubber mallet and it'll pop right out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Years ago when trail bikes had metal tanks it was common to have your knee dent the side in. That's how everyone popped the dent back out, compressed air. Never heard of anyone blowing out their tank that way. I'm sure it's possible though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was there. The air pressure was increased 5psi at a time. The problem with using air pressure is that the metal ts thinner than the outer tank metal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts