Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small dent in my tank that I think I can remove. There are no creases in the metal. But the metal is scratched deep. Assuming I can remove the dent, I will repaint the tank myself. I want the original black Honda paint, and I also need the Honda graphic. I cannot find a resource online for the flame/Honda graphic. Do I have to buy it from a Honda dealer? Do I have to get the paint from a Honda dealer?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
That's a double wall tank you're dealing with there in case you didn't know. You can get your paint from Honda or these guys.ColorRite Motorcycle Paint. The graphics, I'm not sure they're available. Beat me to it, XXX

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
clm, its a 2009 750 Spirit, black with Honda maroon flame/Honda graphic.

And thanks for the link to Colorite for paint. Not sure how economical this project is. I will need to buy the sprayer, I have a compressor. Then the cost of primer, paint,etc.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
A body shop could probably mix you up a can of paint to match yours. Then fix and shoot it yourself.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
If the dent is small enough fill it in with EZ Weld. A little tougher to sand down but works better than bondo for some repairs. Use a little bondo for the final smooth over before painting.

You can rattle can the whole tank and it can come out nice. Check the links and see if that is a realistic option for you.....

Motorcycle Painting

Harley Paintin', the Missing Prep Article

·
Registered
23 Posts
Colorite paint is overpriced. The shipping cost makes it expensive due to hazardous material class. Any decent body supply shop can match your color. It looks to be basic black with no metallic or other color flakes in it. If it is then any body supply shop can supply it with no matching issues. Even rattle cans from the auto parts store will match. Just be sure to clear coat it with a quality two part urethane top coat seeing it is on a fuel tank. Otherwise, fuel drips will ruin your paint.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm considering buying a HVLP sprayer since I have an air compressor. badandy's comment about colorites prices caught my attention. I'll check them out next. Since Honda tank flame graphics are not available, I may even change the color. My Spirit paint is black with gold flakes. I was looking at a new Spirit at a dealer yesterday and on the 2014 it seems to be just plain black with no flakes.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm considering buying a HVLP sprayer since I have an air compressor.
You have an air compressor, but do you you have a compressor that can supply a paint sprayer? Typically, you will need a moisture trap and enough volume to keep the sprayer supplied equal throughout the job. Yes, you're not talking about a complicated job, but you're still going to need that moisture filter and enough volume to complete the job.

Something like this:

FREE SHIPPING — Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate Air Compressor — 2 HP, 5.2 CFM, Model# P1.5IU-A9 | 2 - 9 CFM Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.