Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had someone give me this bike. They know I like shaft drive Hondas. I know wings, what have I gotten into here? Anything I should know about? What pipes and Carbs for this bike? I have not looked at 2nd gear yet, I'm told it sticks or hangs up. Suggestions? The pipes on it now are so loud you can't tell if the engine is running.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm working on restoring/modifying and 83 shadow myself. As I learn or come across anything I'll be sure to look you up. Good luck it should be fun.

I ride my VTX right now while I work on this one. Hopefully I'll be riding this one soon enough.

Briandrex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not taken a good look at the bike yet. I hope to tonight. I know it needs pipes. Do all of these years cross over? It seems to me I have seen some that have pipes off both sides to the rear....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think those may have been Magnas and Sabres, both v-4 bikes.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Most of the "older" Honda V-Twins have a pipe on each side of the bike. 1983-1988 for certain. After that, they started putting both pipes on the same side of the bike, for some models. Almost all after market pipes are on the same side. The 1983-1985 VT700s (and 750s???) share the same parts throughout most of the bike. I would suspect that the exhaust is similar as well. In 1986, they changed the design pretty drastically and so the 1986 and '87 VT700s share a lot of parts, and also share a lot of parts with the 1988 VT800, which is pretty much the same bike with a different transmission and bored out a bit more.

Best bet would be to go to bikebandit.com or powersportspro.com and check out their parts fiche. Add the exhaust for the 1983 to your shopping cart, and then add the exhaust for a 1985. Then check your cart contents and see if the part numbers match. If they do, you're all set. If not, you'll have to dig up what the differences are. (Sometimes it something as simple as a piece of chrome trim!)

Good luck!
--Justin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts