Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent several hours today trying to restart my bike when I should have been riding. After 100 miles and before heading up HWY 80 (nice twisty road) in the NC mountains I stopped for gas. After topping off my tank, I hit the starter button and nothing. I thought I might have hit the kill switch by accident but no such luck. I lurked off to the edge of the parking lot to investigate. I thought that it might be the kickstand kill switch since I have a shorten custom kickstand with the kill switch just attached under the frame. I chased that for a while and had no luck. There is no Honda shop in the area (nearest about 35 miles) and the best I could find was a scooter shop a few miles away. I had to call Progressive's Roadside Assistance to get the bike hauled over (good service, by the way) and after chasing gremlins for a while, a young sharp "shade-tree" got it restarted by just grounding the starter relay with a screwdriver. We concluded (without the help of a service manual) that it must be the starter switch. After getting home and checking my Honda service manual, it appears that I need to test the switch by checking the continuity of the switch wires in the connector housed in the headlight shell. I opened the right hand control and sprayed contact cleaner on and around the starter switch, but that had no effect. For all you more experienced forum members, does it sound like I am on the right track here? Any and all comments/suggestions are most appreciated.
JimC in NC (USA)

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,385 Posts
IF the "ShadeTree" bypassed the switch and it started, you got the right start by cleaning the switch...
BUT the contacts inside may need a little "adjusting", how`d them contacts look?
Being as you got a manual, I`d check the circuit as directed...
Also, there is the possibilty that one of the other safety switches has gone bad???
Wish I were there, (or bring it here)
Dennis

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have noticed every now and then my Tourer will not turn over, and traced it to my handlebar kill switch. If it won't start, I slightly put a little pressure on it towards "Shutoff" and it fires.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have noticed every now and then my Tourer will not turn over, and traced it to my handlebar kill switch. If it won't start, I slightly put a little pressure on it towards "Shutoff" and it fires.
My ace does the exact same thing. I'm always afraid that I'm going to get stranded some time. I carry a small jumper wire in my saddlebags I figure if it ever goes completely out I'll bypass the off switch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed!!!

Thanks for all the replies. It did turn out to be the start switch. Tested for continuity at the connector inside the headlight shell; no continuity. Disassembled the switch, cleaned all the contacts, added a little dilectic grease, reassembled the switch - still no continuity. Made a little adjustment to the height of the slide part of the switch and "BAM". I had continuity but the switch was stiff and would not always rebound to the extended position. Took 3 tries to get the right adjustment so there is continuity in the circuit while retaining a smooth action. This is not a very well designed item IMHO, but with a little patience and continuity restored, the old girl fires right off again.

Again, thanks for all the help and comments.
JimC in NC (USA)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can you explain what exactly you did to fix this issue? I'm having the same issue now. I'm planning on trying to raise the contact points a little, but not sure exactly how.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can you explain what exactly you did to fix this issue? I'm having the same issue now. I'm planning on trying to raise the contact points a little, but not sure exactly how.
Thanks.
If it does not work out and depending on the year and model of Shadow I have a brand new starter switch I will make you a deal on. Part# on the package is 35130-MBK-J01 but the part number they wrote on the invoice is 35013-MBA-010. It was for a 2003 750 ACE - I paid 80.00 bucks for it from a dealer, would happily take 50.00.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.