Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday morning I am embarking on my quest to ride 1k in 24 hours in the heart of Texas. It is time to to get this itch stratched.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I didn't know you could do 1000 miles all within Texas.

:shock:

Just kidding, of course. Y'all got yourself one big ole state there.

Good luck ... ride safe ... stay hydrated, even thought that may mean more frequent bio-breaks.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
If you are going for your Iron Butt certification, keep a log of your mileage as well as any receipts from gas stops...make sure at least some of your gas receipts have the time/date stamp. Fill up at the start, and the end at a gas station that has the time/date stamp to help confirm the beginning and end of your ride that it was less than 24 hours.

Pull it all together and send it in to the Iron Butt peeps.

If you are going to do the ride, at least get something outta it :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
LSR,

Good luck to ya. It looks like the weather should hold for you. After riding with you, I know for a fact that you will have no problems getting this deal done since you set your mind to it. If I can be of assistance, just let me know. Good luck man, you will enjoy it.... (most of it anyway :wink: )

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Best of luck and be safe! Looks like you'll be within 30 miles of my homestead, Hobbs, America. Too bad this is the weekend I move my mom back to Mississippi. I haven't completely decided yet, but I may load my Vulcan in the back of the moving van for transportation home. There are a few logistics I haven't quite gotten ironed out just yet, but the weather between here and there looks to be inviting for everything past Thursday. Again, ride safe!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice pic taken in front of the Discovery center. Sounds like a fun ride, too bad I have to go to the in laws in NM this weekend.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I am printing out the log sheets as I type. Man, I can't wait to get on with this ride. It has been awhile since the last good long ride and I haven't seen that part of Texas in forever. Again, thanks for the encouragement and advice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good luck be safe. You said you can't wait to get started but I can tell you from personal experience that you will be saying about 8 or 9 hundred miles into it that I can't wait for it to be done. I did the iron butt on my spirit about 3 years back. I am glad I did and ditto to the others who said to keep good records and follow the rules.
Jeff

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my ride has been postponed. The weather has turned on me. Expecting high winds, snow(maybe) and cold temperatures for Saturday.
I will try for next weekend.

·
Registered
884 Posts
All the way to Fredericksburg & not stopping in San Antonio for Mexican food??? SHAME on you! :lol: Well, I'll drink a margarita for you (since you can't have one on the bike!).

Good luck with your ride & keep 'er safe!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Man, that is a bummer LS. The perfect weekend will pop up for you soon enough. You definately don't want to do it in crap weather, I think you made a pretty good call.

·
Registered
544 Posts
please keep us updated on when you will be doing the ride

if i lived down there id stand by the road and encourage you on!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
keep me posted on when you go,,,I might go with you,,,i have been wanting to do one of these for a while now,,and your trip is going through some places i used to live,,,,I might be able to tag along...if you want the company that is.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep it was a bummer alright King and as you know the weather turned out pretty good Sunday. So far the weather is not looking too bad for this Saturday. There is a slight chance for rain in the pm though. But hell it could change by friday and we could have an ice storm.
Lubbock, if you need to get some miles on your scoot and on your butt, by all means come on. The company would be very welcomed.
I will make the final desicion by Thursday evening.
Thanks Kara, I am sure that bell you gave will make the trip gremlin free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts