Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
silvershadow55 said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18383182/

I wonder if this is why I rarely see minorities on motorcycles. We get pulled over more too, I'm thinking.

You must not be from Florida and I KNOW you're not from Miami.
Plenty of minorities riding here. Don't know the statistics, but I don't
think it's bad here. Of course, the older I get, the less I know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
Look, not to start something here, but let me try a little logic and "assumptive reasoning"...

I would bet that most of this type of study is done in "urban" areas... in and around cities. I'd also bet that they're conducted during the day. During the day, most folks - regardless of color, race, culture or ethnicity(?) are working. Therefore I would say that most of the people "surveyed" for this type of so-called reporting fit one of the following categories:

1) young (students or just people figuring out what they want to be when they grow up), thus carrying around a certain amount of attitude.
2) unemployed, thus carrying around a certain amount of attitude.
3) typical urban street punks, thus carrying around a certain amount of attitude.
4) liars or people who embellish their stories about their incidents.

Attitude leads to "faring worse". And frankly, people don't get stopped for no reason.

I got a ticket last week on my trip. I was written for 79 in a 70 zone by a West Virginia state trooper. Now, listening to this guy talk from my white, suburban, northern perspective, it'd be real easy to consider this guy just some southern yokel out to bust on them damn yankees, then imagine him going home to his sister-wife and three eyed kids. The difference is, gee, I'm a tad more socially adept and have been around a bit. I know that regional dialects *do* sound different. I know that to become a state trooper pretty much anywhere in these great states takes a little something that most people don't have, and you sure as hell can't achieve that by being an inbred dumb **** with an iq of 12. I thanked the officer for not writing me for my *actual* speed, I was respectful and he sent me on my way in about 5 minutes rather than busting my stones and my ass. Being 600 miles from home with a dead cell phone battery and low on fuel just looking for the next exit (on one of the FINEST roads I've ever been on) could have left me in a world of **** if I'd mouthed off and had an attitude with the guy.

Sorry, but I don't buy it at all... most of this stuff is brought on by the people being "victimized" :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
None of my minority friends fit your descriptions Korn-B.
Some of what you says has a small bit of merit, not much tho.

An employee of mine with Hispanic extraction and his brother were pulled over in one of my trucks for vehicle defects, my fault, not theirs. However the state trooper radioed in and got a reply that an individual with the same first and last name was a drug suspect. They refused to make any effort to verify that by checking the middle name. Result #1 my truck was strip searched. result # 2 After I called him on it their commander apologized.
Result #3. This employee will not travel any where in this country without his pedigree in hand.

Also my minority employees know that if anything goes missing on a job site they will be questioned. Even tho I, as certified WASP, am also on the job site am not questioned.

These cops don't even realize what they are doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Agree with the original poster.
I married into a "minority" family and see it all the time.
Being stopped for DWB is common knowledge.
I'm sure there are places where life doesn't match that description, but I know many where it does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chornbe said:
Look, not to start something here, but let me try a little logic and "assumptive reasoning"...

I would bet that most of this type of study is done in "urban" areas... in and around cities. I'd also bet that they're conducted during the day. During the day, most folks - regardless of color, race, culture or ethnicity(?) are working. Therefore I would say that most of the people "surveyed" for this type of so-called reporting fit one of the following categories:

1) young (students or just people figuring out what they want to be when they grow up), thus carrying around a certain amount of attitude.
2) unemployed, thus carrying around a certain amount of attitude.
3) typical urban street punks, thus carrying around a certain amount of attitude.
4) liars or people who embellish their stories about their incidents.

Attitude leads to "faring worse". And frankly, people don't get stopped for no reason.

Sorry, but I don't buy it at all... most of this stuff is brought on by the people being "victimized" :roll:
I think if the troopers were to pull a minority over with the exact same set of assumptions that you have, then the results of the study do not surprise me at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I don't think we have white State Troopers in Alabama. :)

Ted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
floridarider said:
silvershadow55 said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18383182/

I wonder if this is why I rarely see minorities on motorcycles. We get pulled over more too, I'm thinking.

You must not be from Florida and I KNOW you're not from Miami.
Plenty of minorities riding here. Don't know the statistics, but I don't
think it's bad here. Of course, the older I get, the less I know.
Well that's good to know. I live in Wisconsin and we do have a significant share of minorities here in Green Bay (and since I'm a Bears fan I am in that category as well, even though I'm white) but I've rarely seen a black or hispanic person on a bike, even when I go down to Milwaukee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
chornbe said:
Sorry, but I don't buy it at all... most of this stuff is brought on by the people being "victimized" :roll:
I think you might be a little off base here. I was stopped in a clearly racist action. Yeah the trooper had some lame excuse of stopping me because of a smashed window and no brake lights, 70mph in a 30 zone etc. Duh ! I had to break the window to get in the car and the electrical system is messed up since I had to pop the ignition out of the steering column to get the car started since I didn't have a key. Yeah I was doing 70 in a 30 so I could get out of your town before you bust me, what did he expect. These guys have nothing better to do than hassel old fat guys in stolen BMW's. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Where I grew up, I was a minority. I am white, but that doesn't really matter. Most people that said some racist cop pulled them over that I knew were braking the law (speeding, tail light, etc..) when they got pulled over. They got a ticket for doing exactly what they were doing. I got pulled over a lot... some for total bs reasons (sounds like Im victomizing myself right?) like car too loud. The car passed db tests. My car was searched for drugs every time I was pulled over. I didn't complain, I just let it happen (why not.. its fun to tell a cop that he missed a spot in the middle of a search after observing them through the back window). I got tickets for most offenses (speeding usually, I was only warned about tail lights). I never heard of people ,who didnt get very defensive when accused, getting a ticket for what they were pulled over for except when they ran a red light, rolled through a stop, more than 7 miles over, etc. They were rarely ticketed (again, unless they copped an attitude) for tail lights. I found that the people that were getting the tickets for minor infractions were the ones that had an attitude , self ritious or other. These people were usually the first to play the race card at school as well. Some even tried to claim the black, I will not say African American because what if they are Puerto Rican or Equidorian and are cannot trace their heritage to Africa at all, cop that pulled them over was racist when they were themselves black.

Is this proof of anything? Nope. It is only my experience. I found that if you actually show the cop respect and are cooperative.... most (not all, I was once pulled over for 2MPH over in Texas and even then I was let off with a warning) cops are reasonable and are willing to just issue a warning if you are not a serial offender.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
cad2830 said:
chornbe said:
Sorry, but I don't buy it at all... most of this stuff is brought on by the people being "victimized" :roll:
I think you might be a little off base here. I was stopped in a clearly racist action. Yeah the trooper had some lame excuse of stopping me because of a smashed window and no brake lights, 70mph in a 30 zone etc. Duh ! I had to break the window to get in the car and the electrical system is messed up since I had to pop the ignition out of the steering column to get the car started since I didn't have a key. Yeah I was doing 70 in a 30 so I could get out of your town before you bust me, what did he expect. These guys have nothing better to do than hassel old fat guys in stolen BMW's. :shock:
No brake lights. Speeding. By more than 2x the speed limit. With a smashed, broken window.

Yeah, sure is racist of a cop to pull you over with *those* circumstances in play. The cop would have been fodder for a badge loss had he NOT pulled you over.

I rest my case.

:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
as for racism in cops.

Cops are an overwhelmingly white organization.
A child brought up with prejudiced opinions turns into an adult with prejudiced opinions... if he chooses to become a cop, then he's a cop with prejudiced opinions.
Put that cop in an area with a high "minority" population, and those opinions become compounded... when all you deal with is criminals and "ne'er do wells", you're bound to start making some generalizations.

Still wrong.
Still bullshit.
But completely understandable wrong bullshit.

being a cop makes a man jaded and cynical. I've seen it first hand.

9 times out of 10, if you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to worry about.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
rat said:
Hey Chornbe...

I think you need to turn up your sarcasm detector just a smidge. :lol:
Oh.

Oh crap.

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

:oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
rat said:
Hey Chornbe...

I think you need to turn up your sarcasm detector just a smidge. :lol:
It is great to have to old Chronbe back...isn't it?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Remember how quiet the forum was while he was gone?? ROFL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,922 Posts
rat said:
as for racism in cops.

Cops are an overwhelmingly white organization...
Not in LA.
More of the motor officers are white from my experience, but by and large in LA there are as many black & latino police officers as white ones.

I guess it depends on where you live. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
chornbe said:
Look, not to start something here, but let me try a little logic and "assumptive reasoning"...


Attitude leads to "faring worse". And frankly, people don't get stopped for no reason.

Sorry, but I don't buy it at all... most of this stuff is brought on by the people being "victimized" :roll:

I disagree... Most of what you said makes perfect sense... However, people don't get stopped for no reason is a matter of opinion... And I disagree completely... I have personally been pulled over (in Iowa) for nothing more than having out of state plates on my car. The cop wanted to know why I didnt have a plate on the front and back of my car... Well [email protected]$4, in Indiana, they only have them on the rear bumper...

But like I said, I tend to agree with everything else you said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
I'm sure that when a cop pulls over a gray haired old lady as compared to pulling over a young teenage boy that he is not going to treat them the same. It may be a gut feeling, it may be discrimination it may be just going by the statistics. A gray haired old lady is unlikely to pull out a gun or have the gas tank full of drugs. Not that it hasn't happened. I'm sure that even a car load of young teenage boys will raise more questions than a car load of teenage girls. We all know boys or men grouped together is not a good thing. I also know that I was pulled over doing 90 in a 55 zone on the interstate and the cop was white and he let me go when I told him my brother had a heart attack and was two states away and I was trying to get to the hospital. He let me go. If I was black...........I'm not so sure. Just thinking out loud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
OK Chornbe, West Virginia is not, I repeat NOT, a southern state. The western counties in Virginia made that decision when they went with the north and formed a new state at the time of the Civil War (otherwise known as the War of Northern Aggression).

As to minorities riding, I see many of them riding here in central NC.

john
'05 Sabre
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top