Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,624 Posts
Put nuts and bolts in the tank and wrap it up with a thick blanket.
Ask your wife to go to the store for some beer.
While she is gone tumble it in the dryer for 15 minutes. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles on it?
Oil, oil filter, air filter, brake pads, brake fluid, tires.
It is better to check all this before hitting the road .
More fun than coming back on a trailer.
Remarkably, after I dropped a new battery in and fired up the electricals, the ODO read 1848. No lie. That's all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many miles on it?
Oil, oil filter, air filter, brake pads, brake fluid, tires.
It is better to check all this before hitting the road .
More fun than coming back on a trailer.
Only 1848 miles! However - being a long-time DIY gear head - I have put in new motor oil and filter, new brake fluid, checked the front brake action, new fuel lines, new air filter, new fuel filter, new coolant, along with the carb rebuild which weirdly did not include new jets (but I cleaned them thoroughly). Having read the 4 digit code on the tires (ended in 02) I am certain those are the original treads - explaining why they feel like plastic. Clearly new tires are on the list.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome , doing the electrolosis trick ? Or just nuts and bolts ?
No... I did do two cycles of vinegar (what a stinky process) and a ton of varnishy goodness came out. Rinsed with baking soda / water a few times. Aired / dried with a blow dryer taped to the fuel cap opening. It got a lot better - took DAYS to do - but is still not great. At least clear gas goes in and comes out now...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put nuts and bolts in the tank and wrap it up with a thick blanket.
Ask your wife to go to the store for some beer.
While she is gone tumble it in the dryer for 15 minutes. :p
You don't know my wife. She's amazing AND I can't imagine trying that out on that dryer we have! Maybe I'll pay my son a visit :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so: Update: I have been able to get it to run for a few seconds, then it falters and stops. Starter fluid of course helps, but still no idle. Put a new fuel pump on because I was trying to rid the system of all the varnish that had built up. Still no joy. The carb kit I inherited with the bike did NOT include jets, and even though I cleaned them, I'm wondering. Also I spent a lot of time on the choke cable and that seems to be working well. Check sparkplugs, and they look good. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
230 Posts
Okay so: Update: I have been able to get it to run for a few seconds, then it falters and stops. Starter fluid of course helps, but still no idle. Put a new fuel pump on because I was trying to rid the system of all the varnish that had built up. Still no joy. The carb kit I inherited with the bike did NOT include jets, and even though I cleaned them, I'm wondering. Also I spent a lot of time on the choke cable and that seems to be working well. Check sparkplugs, and they look good. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance -
Still seems to be a fuel delivery problem .... check tank and carb vents , petcock , filtters in tank or in line ...float level ...

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
212 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve_6770, from Canterbury, NH. Routing for you. Keep it going!!

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
I hadta drain the bowl on the pressure washer several times today to have it run right...
Wondering though about yours, IF that may help?
It would let you KNOW fuel is present...
Yeah, when I got mine, I changed all the fluids just so I KNEW when it had been done...
You say you cleaned the carbs, did you Sync them???
Check our Tech stickies for more info on that,
Welcome steve_6770

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
steve_6770 You might wanna post about this issue over in the Tech forum for more help from our Gurus...

We got some Great Support
Dennis

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
Well, jets are simple. Just ‘tuned’ tubes with holes of a certain size. If you cleaned them, and you can easily see that they are clean, there’s not too much more you can do! Jets CAN cause issues, but it’s usually in the bike not running ‘right’, as opposed to not running at all.

If you can, have some gasoline in a container to feed from, direct to the carbs. Then see if it runs for a longer period. That will isolate back towards the pump, lines, filter and tank…

1 - 20 of 23 Posts