Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the SS750 out on the road with the 39T sprocket installed.
WOW! Honda should have geared these bikes like this from the factory! Knocks the R's down quite nicely at hi-way speeds and feels much better around town too! No chain shortening either, easy swap- took less than an hour to do. It takes off even smoother than before even with my 240 lb butt on it too. Should be nicer yet when the wife tries it out. Well worth the $38 I spent for it.
Thanks to all who posted info and shared their experiences on this swap, your input is appreciated!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Glad you like it. I was thinking about it myself. What size spocket did your Spirit havestock, a stock 41 tooth or a 42 tooth?

·
Registered
668 Posts
ya had better think about swappin out those clutch springs when ya go with a smaller sprocket. starting out is hard on it geared like that ..especially if ya ride two up...i had done the springs and it was still hard on it if i was on any type of incline at all. when my chain wore out and the sprocket was worn also i went back to stock. i don't notice going back that big of a difference and the smaller sprocket didn't net me any better fuel mileage . sure it may have been a couple hundred RPM lower on the slab but the trade off for off the line wasn't worth it IMO..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good stuff - I'm actually in the middle of the sprocket change myself. I have the wheel in the living room with the new 39T sprocket on (surprisingly the fiance hasn't kicked me out yet :wink: ). This weekend I'll be putting the wheel back on and getting the chain on as well. Can't wait to try it out !

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Raphy said:
(surprisingly the fiance hasn't kicked me out yet :wink: ).
Get a little of that chain lube on the sofa doilies and see how long it takes her to start kicking... :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
139 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Raphy said:
(surprisingly the fiance hasn't kicked me out yet :wink: ).
Get a little of that chain lube on the sofa doilies and see how long it takes her to start kicking... :lol: :wink:
LOL... Don't know if I want to try that one :lol: I'm taking the wheel out of there ASAP, before i mess something up.. LOL

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang Raphy! You are treading on thin ice!
I didn't even take the tire/wheel out from underneath the fender. I used an electric impact to loosen the spocket bolts & axle bolt snaked the 39T in there. Put it all back together and adjusted the chain back out to spec. I did have to pull the rear brake adjust nut off to give me some wiggle room though. Used a bike jack to hold it up.
The SS750 has a 41T stock so the 39T won't be a big enough difference to hurt the clutch. I can tell no difference at all on the release point of the clutch upon take off. We never travel 2 up on the Shadow so no weight concern at all.
We seem to cruise about 65-70 when we are able to so this swap is perfect for that speed! Engine sounds less "peaky" :D now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts