Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got the bike last year, the former owner (a great friend) warned me that the carbs needed cleaning (it only had 14,000 miles on it). The bike sputtered and needed to warm up quite a bit before I tried to ride it.

So this year, thanks to the forum members, I started putting Seafoam in the tank, and I just got through the first can of it, mixing it via the directions on the can. The bike runs smoother at high speed, revs higher easier, idles smoother, throttles up more predictably, and best of all, doesn't need to warm up forever before it's ready to ride.

I'm not sure if I want to mess with the trouble of feeding it directly into the carbs (could I just disconnect the fuel hose and suck some of it in that way?), but I think that may be the next step in really getting them clean and operating correctly.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
wouldn't recommend running the seafoam as fuel only it needs to be mixed according to label.

to strong and you could damage plastic/rubber parts of the fuel system and could foul out plugs etc. keep in mind that this stuff is pretty dang neat but is not a cure all there may be some stuff it can't get or the bike may need a tune up or even to be re-jetted for best performance.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had a guy at the local stealer say he would do it on the side for $200 - I ran through some sea foam through and it solved my problems too.

I wonder if that's what he would have done for my $200... :lol:

Anyway, there is a thread or two about adding it direct to the engine through the air vent...do a search. The stuff is a pure petroleum product, so it isn't as dangerous to the motor as some other additives.

- Dan

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Done in an afternoon by someone who's done it before...the job scares the crap out of me.

When I pick up a second bike, maybe I'll give it a shot so as not to be rideless if it takes more than a day, but only after some serious studying up. I am a very minor wrench, pretty good handy man, and am very mechanically inclined - I have boatloads of confidence in my mechanical abilities and tackle new jobs with success (varying levels of success, I'll admit, but I almost always finish the job without any real assistance).

But for some reason have never had the inclination to rebuild the carbs...

Maybe I'll read up. I'm sure the carbs on my '86 with only 26k miles could use a scrubbing.

- Dan

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ranger - is that your project bike from the before and photo-shop-after pics? If so, it looks great. Kick ass job.

I thought it was going to have much less rear fender, but the big one looks great.

- Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Ranger, let me also say that your bike is absolutely awesome. You should be very proud of the work you've done on it, and of yourself. I would ride that bike in a second! :)

Well, Rat has stoked my confidence, and I found some rebuild kits online (new o rings, float chamber gasket, pilot jet, etc.) for like $17 per carb, so I may just take the plunge soon and rebuild them. I do have the honda shop manual, as well. Only question is, what if the carb boots or jets need replacing? Anyone know somewhere to get these cheap?

Byron

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Boots & jets through your dealer.

You can also try places like oldbikebarn.

I'd be surprised if you need new jets though.

Buy a can of comrpessed air for blowing out the passages.
And some toothbrushes for cleaning out the gunk.

Do one at a time on a clean work surface.

·
Registered
64 Posts
damn my 05 spirit vt750 had this weird ticking sputtering problem it felt like air coming out of the intake, it would only happen about 1/2 throttle regardless of how warm or cold the engine was. i almost used sea foam but before i did i brought it to the dealership and they reemed me for $400 for a carb job.

I dont know much yet, this is my first bike ive owned it for a few weeks and i dont have any friends that ride, or many friends in general. but im learning as i go along. i wish i ran a full tanks worth of sea foam before i brought the bike in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.