Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from work, about 200 yards from home a white cat runs in front of me. I am only going 25 mph. Try to swerve, hit a bit of gravel and go down hard. Helmet, steel toe boots, gloves, jacket. Broken ankle, separated shoulder bone. ( it goes north south now) Lots of holes down the right side. Cat is fine, bike has a bent crash bar I,m told.
Next time, Cat Bump.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Sorry about the mishap. Unfortunately, it happens too often.
We were told (in our safety truck drivers safety classes) NOT to swerve to prevent hitting animals of any kind. That's one of the major causes of damage to vehicles/drivers, because of it's more dangerous to try to avoid hitting them than it is to run'm over. The same goes true with a motorcycle, (unless it's a larger animal of course)
If I have room to move over to avoid an animal, I will, but only if time permits and it's safe to do so.
Next time, hit the cat.

·
Registered
467 Posts
yeaouch man sorry to hear about it at least your "relatively" ok

I feel like i should share some of my wreck cake with you, take it easy and get better man.

(Im at cat lover myself and i have to agree with painter, hit the fracking cat next time)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, thats what they taught us also. Just thought I had room to swerve till I hit that bit of gravel.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bummer. In situations like that, you don't have time to think, only react.
Are you new to riding?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
that stinks man! i hope you have a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That sucks! Wish you a speedy recovery. I had my neighbors Great Dane take off after me once. I'm not sure how I managed to escape pulling gravel out of my ass. Plow the cat next time.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Dude...sorry....kill the cat next time (if there is a next time).

Heal fast!

:shock::shock::shock:

Umm,, That dude is me!

Mike

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I hate to say it but I agree with the others. It is not worth swerving to miss hitting a small animal. Obviously you are experiencing the outcome of that decision. Chances are the cat would have moved fast enough that you wouldn't have hit it anyway. In general I never swerve, just brake. I guess toss this up to a life lesson learned. I hope you heal up fast, and are back in action soon.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Man that sucks. I had a friend who did something similar last week (minus the animal), had the bike leaned over, hit a patch of gravel and the bike went down on his leg/ankle, breaking his ankle (he wasn't going very fast, maybe 10mph). He had to spend a couple of days in the hospital afterwards because it somehow induced a blood clot as well. The bike is relatively okay, handlebars are a little bent.

Good to hear it wasn't worse for you! Heal up quick!

Not to thread-hijack, but this reminds me of the Valkyrie VS Deer story: Valkyrie vs. Deer (w/pics)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
While I hate killing anything I'm not gonna eat (and I don't eat cat), sometimes the choice has to be between you and the animal. Learned that the hard way after swerving to miss a deer while driving a pickup truck, and ending up 800 yards down the side of a mountain on a bench right at the top of a cliff. That was a tough recovery... but now, I pray the animal doesn't suffer too much and I avoid my own suffering whenever possible, whether driving or riding. Never, though, would I deliberately hit an animal in the road... unlike a lot of A-hole drivers I see out there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glad you're relatively ok. Hope you get well soon.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Simple math. Cats have 9 lives. Humans have 1. Kill the cat, it still has 8 more lives.
So its not animal cruelty at all.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In my MSF class, they told us that if the animal is small enough to eat in one sitting, then don't swerve. I can eat a lot. :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
While I hate killing anything I'm not gonna eat (and I don't eat cat)
Have you ever eaten Chinese food??? if so you may not be telling the truth LOL There is one in my area that has the rep for it and strangely enough, you never see strays ANYWHERE around it???? (I'm behaving Kathy... I SO could of gone a bad bad direction with THAT comment hehe Few too many drinks tonight)

Dauntae

·
Registered
515 Posts
In my MSF class, they told us that if the animal is small enough to eat in one sitting, then don't swerve. I can eat a lot. :)
The rule I heard was that if the animal is big enough to look you in the eye, evade. If not, brake only (if you can) and hope the animal gets out of the way. This rule is meant for when you are driving any vehicle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts