Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 vt750 cd ace. The old blinkers were electrical taped in place by previous owner so I decided to change them. I changed the front and they worked fine for a couple weeks. Last ride around town I noticed my blinker light wasn’t flashing when I turned them on and blinkers were not working. Now I’m ready to install rear blinkers and they won’t blink. They turn on as a constant but no blinking any ideas?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Usually if the light will light up and not flash it is the flasher relay that is failing. Sometimes tapping on it will get it to flash a little then you know for sure. But all the bulbs on that circuit have to light for the relay to work.
Are all the lights still regular bulbs, not LED?

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually if the light will light up and not flash it is the flasher relay that is failing. Sometimes tapping on it will get it to flash a little then you know for sure. But all the bulbs on that circuit have to light for the relay to work.
Are all the lights still regular bulbs, not LED?
The old bulbs were stock. The new ones are led. I ran it a while with the leds on the front and old bulbs on the back and had no problems until the last time I rode, about midway through I noticed the indicator light was not blinking.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Probably best to get an electronic unit rated for LED operation. If you have one indicator light you will need diodes to isolate it from one side to the other .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Messed with it some more and was able to get all four blinkers to blink. The problem is they all blink at the same time smh. I appreciate the help but I don’t know what diodes are, or what electronic unit you are referring to. Thank you for the ideas my head is spinning at this point.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Diodes are one way valves for the electricity and keep the one side signal from feeding back to the other side, and the indicator lamp is in the middle allowing the feed back.
Here is a video to watch and one of the guys that has done this will tell you more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diodes are one way valves for the electricity and keep the one side signal from feeding back to the other side, and the indicator lamp is in the middle allowing the feed back.
Here is a video to watch and one of the guys that has done this will tell you more.

Thanks for all the info. I have learned a few things, but still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey man i got something like this, and it fixed my issue. all four of my lights were also flashing
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.10.36 AM.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
118 Posts
oh dang i just read above, i dont have the stock indicator lights for turn and neutral, so not an issue for me. that might be the culprit. the relay may only fix the hyper flash, but all four will probably still blink until the indicator light is either replaced with an led, a diode ran in-line as stated above, or removed altogether.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts