Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That would be easy for me, considering I work at one. Too foggy/cold/rainy to take the bike today, though. :(

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
That would be even easier for me, since my house IS a dog shelter. We lost our American Bulldog to lymphoma about 3 weeks ago, bringing our total down to 13 dogs.

Unfortunately, it is still raining "cats and dogs" here in Houston, so the bike remains in the garage today unless the sun pops out for awhile.

In fact, I could probably buy a new bike every year if I didn't have my dogs. For example, one of my pups got bit in the mouth last week, which broke its upper jaw, costing $800 at the emergency vet and $1800 at the board certified dental vet. Dog food runs me something like $6000/yr, and then there is the heart guard, flea & tick control, and chew toys and treats.

So, should I just take a photo of my bike out in front of my house and call it an SPCA?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Alright, I got about a 20 mile ride in, before it started to rain again. Here is the damn, dam photo:

It isn't much of a dam, but it is called Barker's Dam, so I guess it will have to do. Besides, I had to temporarily park in a handicap spot in front of a trashcan to get the photo.

My turn to call now?

If so, then I'll give you all two options.

Option 1 - Photo of your bike and "the circus" like so:

but the circus may not be in town, so there is another choice.

Option 2 - Your bike in front of a gun-club/shooting-center like so, but it doesn't have to be flooded like this one:

If I misunderstood the rules; my mistake.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You need a dam to keep that water back, and you got more coming? I'll be praying.
Sun is out this morning. Maybe I'll be able to get a ride in. Then again, I may hear back from the guy with the VTX for sale, as he is supposed to be getting back in town today sometime. Probably multi-task and ride out to see the other bike and test ride it, but only if the rains haven't returned.

Heck, who am I fooling. I won't be able to wait until I hear from him.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I actually can, I keep it in the fellowship hall while I was getting the shed done, made the doorway so I could get it in and out. Or I could go up the wheelchair ramp and park it in the foyer the door there is just wide enough. Maybe tomorrow if no one else gets it!
And your congregation thought the slots cut on either side of the doorway was so it would resemble a Norman cross, but it was actually there so your handlebars could clear the doorjamb. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Here's Don, my boss and the chief pilot here...

Now for that SPCA tag...and bonus points if you take in a bag of dog or cat food while you're there.
And I see Don was appropriately dressed for getting on a MC, i.e., shorts and sandals! :wink2:

SPCA? Can I just take a photo of my house? After all, I have one dog I purchased, followed by 12 strays I've taken in. There were 13, but my American Bulldog passed away (euthanized) 3 weeks ago from lymphoma.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Too easy for you, Cerberus, but my hat surely is off to you for your big heart. My dog is a rescue (best dog ever) and my two cats are from SPCA.

And Don...yeah, he dreams of being an island-hopping float plane pilot so he dresses for that ;-)
Here's my sweet Maddie, who just passed away. She could sleep with the best of them:

And play with the best of them, in this case with my Akita-Shepherd stray (those are two 100 pound dogs at play):

Getting up the stairs sometimes is a problem:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Appreciate the sympathies guys. I got to tell you, for the first 2 weeks after losing her, I cry like a baby when I started to think about her. So, in all fairness to Maddie and her memory, here is how I really remember her:

Not too many dogs can you see the white of their eyes unless they look to the side, with Maddie you could see the white of her eyes and it made her seem more human.

Here's my regal poser dog while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Found one. Here's your flea market. Closed for the night, but it's a flea market. Next tag, your bike in a campground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting ready to go riding. Thought I'd see what the next tag is and how close I am to the tagged item. Campground. Not so much in Houston. Maybe an RV sales or something along those lines, or an RV park, but I don't think there is a campground close to me. So this one is on someone else.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My 82 Honda GL500I at Loft mt. campground in Shenandoah National Park this morning. I saw this thing there too. How about a sun rise/set photo like this one, it's from near the campground yesterday.
Too bad you didn't ride over to Stony Man and got a snapshot. It would have brought back some memories for me. Still, it looked like Mt. Loft isn't too far from I-64, which if I remember correctly has some awesome views of the valley.

So, the next tag is sunrise/sunset?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Is this close enough? Got run off by security! Told me photos are not allowed!
LOL! Sorry about that. Never occurred to me they would be a little touchy about photos, but it makes sense when I think about it.

At least now you have a cool photo of your bike in front of the Utah NGHQ with the flags at half-staff; if only those damned orange cones weren't there.

Your call.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I went half way to rt33 that weekend and Stony Man is at the northern side, later I will be that way and take some pictures. I want to do a video but it will take time for that .
In the meantime, here's one from Mary's Rock...looking down on where 211 crosses Skyline Drive.

Dang, you guys are making me miss Virginia. I envy the roads you have along the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley.

I've been to Mary's Rock, but it was a long, long, time ago. Did some rock climbing around Stony Man. Used to camp along the Appalachian Trail, but never was able to get one of those shelters, so we used our tents.

Went to school down in Knoxville, so I've been to the southern part of the mountain range as well, i.e., The Smokies.

Didn't know how I was going to make it to the mountains to ride once I move to the low-country in SC, but now I have the VTX1300. :smile2: The in-laws have a cabin near Trion, NC, but the mountain road is gravel. Hmmmm, I see a trailer in my future. :surprise:

Is 211 still 29 in places? Lee-Jackson Hwy? I know when I was a kid, before 81 was built, we used to drive to Tennessee down 29/211 for a long ways.

BTW, I heard they finally merged Dumfries and Manassas. They're going to call it Dumassas. :grin2:

Oh yeah, I grew-up in Fairfax/Oakton.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Dude, SC has some of the finest roads you can find, you are only 3.5 hrs from the NC line....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I got the bikes for the purpose of riding the roads in SC. I used to ride some when I was younger in VA and down in TN, so I like some hills. It's funny, but after living in TX for so long, when I go back east and drive (car) in hilly country it takes me awhile to readjust to not always being able to see where I'm going.

Anyway, with me it is as much about the smells as it is the sights, sounds, maneuvers, etc. Of course, I get both the good (honeysuckle) and bad smells (road kill). But some smells like one I caught a whiff of today, take me back to my youth in my mind. That, is one of the reasons I like to ride. I smell things and remember things from my youth that I had long forgotten.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
There ain't NO ROCKS IN Southeast Texas? No rocks in a pile?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sure, but not NATURALLY formed. At least not worthy of consideration as a rock formation. Remember, the part of Texas I live in has St. Augustine grass, palm trees, crape myrtles, live oaks, etc. I don't live in the Texas that you see on television in westerns. The part I live in is green, lush, flat, hot and humid, with plenty of bayous.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ok since I work for the post office if there's no rocks then your bike at the post office.
I'd like to see your bike with rock formations like you all have in Bryce Canyon. Without the snow, of course. Because YOU have rock formations in Utah. Hey, who is that old guy in the second photo? Yeah, the High Plateau is a little cold in January, but the hoodoos were really cool with snow.

Anyway, I think someone can probably do a post office photo. Unfortunately for me, my phone AND wallet were lost yesterday. So, until I get a new phone from the insurance, photos will be difficult for me. I'm hoping I'm getting another phone tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ok now find a state sign. I.e. "Welcome to Minnesota"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Ha ha! Easily said from someone that comes from the Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport area. You live close enough to Virginia and the NC state line. The Texas border is too far away for me to go grab a photo, so I'm counting on one of the other guys/gals here stepping up.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts