Honda Shadow Forums banner
5581 - 5600 of 5684 Posts

· Registered
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100
26 Posts
since these cannons are a fun topic, no bike stuff but i had the pleasure of firing these old Vietnam era beauties for a ceremony a lil over a year ago. Best part was all the car alarms that go off when we shot them off.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle
Wheel Plant Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

But YES a pic with your bike by a cannon (any cannon) is still the current tag, since Phantom just has random pics from seemingly everything lmao i thought for sure i'd get him with a cannon.

Attachments

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,644 Posts
I use to do Reenacting so cannons were always around.

I would like to fire those cannons myself.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nyan and kesanders

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Thanks.

4-5 days a week I leave the house around 4:15, work starts at 5:30 which is right about sunrise this time of year.

Except on rare occasions I sleep in on my days off, till 7:00 AM.

Eric

I see plenty of sunrises. Just very few from the seat of my bike. Most often it is at the end of a dog leash.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
Bonus pic. With a cannon.
Of course not as impressive as the real thing.
About 10 years ago I wanted to make some noise for July4th.
So I was retired and said what is better than to drink beer and make a cannon.
I had some calcium carbide and made this one.
The carbide went bad after a while, so it didn't work well.
I tried firecrackers and that was fun.
The pipe is just the right size to shoot a ping-pong ball.
I put an electronic ignition to try propane but that is dangerous.
I thought of unloaded 12 gauge shotgun shells but thought twice about that also. :rolleyes:

Attachments

· Registered
153 Posts
Love it!!!

The carbide went bad after a while, so it didn't work well. Good idea...
I tried firecrackers and that was fun. Better idea....
The pipe is just the right size to shoot a ping-pong ball. Hellz yeah..perhaps modify bore to accept golf ball maybe?
I put an electronic ignition to try propane but that is dangerous. NAHHH... An even better idea follows this.
I thought of unloaded 12 gauge shotgun shells but thought twice about that also YES THIS. DO IT. remote trigger+20yrds of wire+hide behind a big tree=launch golf ball like 1000 yards at least lol

· Registered
4,644 Posts
Bonus pic. With a cannon.
Of course not as impressive as the real thing.
About 10 years ago I wanted to make some noise for July4th.
So I was retired and said what is better than to drink beer and make a cannon.
I had some calcium carbide and made this one.
The carbide went bad after a while, so it didn't work well.
I tried firecrackers and that was fun.
The pipe is just the right size to shoot a ping-pong ball.
I put an electronic ignition to try propane but that is dangerous.
I thought of unloaded 12 gauge shotgun shells but thought twice about that also. :rolleyes:
Try hair spray.

Reactions: swifty2014

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
That is an idea, hairspray and make it into a potato gun. :sneaky:

Reactions: PhantomRider64

· Registered
4,644 Posts
That is an idea, hairspray and make it into a potato gun. :sneaky:
The hairspray may launch the ping pong ball if there in not too much windage (slop) in the barrel. If there is maybe use some tissue paper for a patch.

Eric

Reactions: swifty2014

· Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
297 Posts

· Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
297 Posts
Do you guys actively seek this stuff out or just happen upon it while riding about? I tend to drive the same roads so I don't see much. I also am not able to do day trips currently because of some stuff I got going on, but maybe in the future I will be able to.

· Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
537 Posts
Do you guys actively seek this stuff out or just happen upon it while riding about? I tend to drive the same roads so I don't see much. I also am not able to do day trips currently because of some stuff I got going on, but maybe in the future I will be able to.
One of the rules is you have to take the picture after the tag is called out. Can't be a saved picture. I'm terrible about not taking pictures on my rides, so I miss out on a lot of the tags. But it's still a fun thread to follow, and sooner or later I'll get one.

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,097 Posts
What mirrors are those? They look very nice.
Amazon specials. I like the look and while on the drag bars they let me see all of what was going on behind me. Not just a glimpse like the Mickey ears that were on there. I can see even better now because these new bars are a bit wider and taller, giving me an even better view behind me.
Thanks

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,097 Posts
One of the rules is you have to take the picture after the tag is called out. Can't be a saved picture. I'm terrible about not taking pictures on my rides, so I miss out on a lot of the tags. But it's still a fun thread to follow, and sooner or later I'll get one.
A lot of my "grabs" were on my ride to or from work. My daily commute averages 85 miles, depending on the way I go. I have MANY different roads to take to get to work. This last one, the cannon, I ride by it so often that it really did not register at first. I happened to glance to my left at a stop sign and realized I was looking right at that cannon. Big grin, turned around and went back for the grab.

· Registered
26 Posts
I dont have a long commute but i work on a military base every day, so stuff like cemeteries and cannons arent hard to find for me, now a BLACKSMITH on the other hand is a tough one.
Im not opposed to a drive for the purpose of a grab though, just another excuse to go for a ride

· Premium Member
1994 Goldwing/2001 Nighthawk
1,060 Posts
Im not opposed to a drive for the purpose of a grab though, just another excuse to go for a ride
Which is one of the reasons for this thread.
Several of my grabs were me specifically going to get the tag, and some were "out of the way" to get.
I found a blacksmith shop about 50 miles away that I hope I can get to in the next week or so.

· Registered
26 Posts
GRAB.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Closest shot i could get to the blacksmith, went for a ride to San Juan Bautiste Old Mission this mornin for the tag.I swear i saw at least 5 bike groups and 10 or more individual riders pass by when i sat down to grab a bite, it was pretty great.

Ima make this new tag an easy one, maybe someone will grab it up before the weekend is over so i can take another ride, NEW TAG is just any motorcycle dealership, we'll see how fast someone can grab it.

· Registered
2,143 Posts
Ima make this new tag an easy one, maybe someone will grab it up before the weekend is over so i can take another ride, NEW TAG is just any motorcycle dealership, we'll see how fast someone can grab it.
Plant Tire Daytime Property Sky

Sky Wood Font Facade Brick

Harley Speed and Custom, Pukerua Bay, New Zealand. Although I doubt they remember me from the early days, I've known these guys and this shop since '94, but for a few years they were customers of a plating firm I worked in. I go to them for tyres, and accessories like highway pegs. Yes, still in business and still sell bikes.

Next tag, your bike and an unusually water logged fence.
Water Sky Natural landscape Sunlight Plant

Or any unusual bit of water. While there is a bridge there, this water is only this high - well it's the second time I know of in the last 30 years, although there's probably been a couple more to justify the new bridge - and the removal of the beautiful iconic old bridge :( (Yes, my bike is in there, just to the right of the right-most upright, right under the right-hand end of the bridge. You see it, right? :) )

Bonus pic of the cycle path I followed to get the pic above (no, I parked the bike above and walked) :
Water Sky Natural landscape Plant Overhead power line

Alternatively, your bike in a scene from a horror flick. But please try to get the water pic first.
Sky Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Grass

(Price per litre (~1qt), New Zealand $)

5581 - 5600 of 5684 Posts