Honda Shadow Forums banner
5601 - 5620 of 5648 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,018 Posts
Next your bike with steam engine.
Nice. Where is that ? As kids , we used to play on one in a park. It was on display but still had access to the whole thing. There had been a fence that limited access to just the ...cab? ..but that fence was short and had several holes. It was near Lewis park in Stockton, CA.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
498 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Well, figures I just got the pic for a submerged fence on Saturday, but haven't been around long enough to post it.

So, bonus pic of my bike with a submerged fence:
View attachment 303392

Nice! And I mean the road, and the bike. Sadly NZ is fast losing our iconic unpaved roads. That does two really bad things. First is we no longer have fun scenic gravel roads (look up "Forgotten World Highway" sometime). Second is those challenging roads used to scare off tourists. Now they're not quite so challenging but still require 100% concentration (think "Tail of the Dragon" but narrower, twistier and longer). Many of the people wanting to drive them are barely up to driving a 6 lane straight let alone something with tunnels like this (Moki Tunnel, NZ, lat 39° 1'11.47"S long 174°48'6.07"E):
Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Working animal Grass

Infrastructure Plant Tunnel Thoroughfare Grass

The first time I took my teenage nephew through there was also the last time. Didn't know he was quite claustrophobic! (Question is, if I'd known, would I have slowed down even more (we rolled through at maybe 10mph) or would I've gone through at more normal speeds? I guess I'll have to find another claustrophobic person to see if my compassionate or sadistic streak wins!)

A little way from there I did find my new favourite campground, Bushlands, at what used to be Tangarakau (yes my bike is in the picture, just in front of my green tent)
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Grass

Great place, great owners, and very friendly locals! Oh, and NO cell coverage, NO internet, no NOTHING! Waiting for Summer so I can go there again (I could go now but wet and cold and dreary)

I'll have to use it for GOAR posts in summer but it's a bit hard to post on the day I take the pic, I think nearly an hour in any direction back to where I can get reception! :)

Now have to go find a steam engine.
I won't say what I'm thinking of, but I am sure it would be called 'cheating'. I'll do it as a bonus pic tomorrow if I remember. Well, next sunny day anyway.

Keep riding those gravel roads while you can. They're fun, teach you all sorts, lead you to wonderful places, keep the tourists/fearful away, and are sadly an endangered species :cry:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
"Forgotten World Highway". Looks like an amazing road, especially the unsealed section. Parts of it remind me of the foothills out in California.
I'll have to get me a decent camera some day, and actually film it (along with Akatarawa Road and a few others). I spent a lot of money on an Oppo phone based on the reported quality of it's camera, spent some time not just reading the Oppo website but also reviews and so on. Not a brand I'll ever consider again :(

I'll also make it a personal GOAR trip soon as the weather's good enough. I'm near Wellington, FWH is around 3 hours

I have two requirements for a camera that are hard to meet. Must be very good video quality, and must fit within my budget. Anyone know where you can get a brand-new min 4K camera (TRUE 4k, not Amazon "4K" that is actually 640x480!) for (checks wallet) a buck fifty?

[edit] Bonus pics, a couple of beautiful classic ladies (2020, special train "North Pole Express", town of [2nd edit] Paraparaumu)
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Train Sky Cloud Vehicle Rolling stock

Extra bonus, a memorial plaque on the boiler of that loco (above the rear driving wheel in the above image) :
Motor vehicle Font Gas Grass Commemorative plaque

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
115 Posts
I consider this cheating, as I'm less than ten minutes from Griffith Park, the home of Travel Town, the L.A. Live Steamers, and a great park rail road (nobody outlawed scale steam ;)). So I fetched myself on over and shot a couple frames.
The LALS boys aren't in this morning so you'll have to settle for their sign, though, and the park line just runs diesel during the week, so no shots there.

Being a gear/lumber modeler in Sn3 myself, the Heisler and the Shay'er my favorites (although the Porters're kinda cute). And in deference to Mr. Ironwolf's post, one with a Vanderbilt tender. :cool:
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

If these qualify in spite of the cheating, I'd make it easy enough for the next one, and just ask for pre-sixty pick ups.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I consider this cheating, as I'm less than ten minutes from Griffith Park, the home of Travel Town, the L.A. Live Steamers, and a great park rail road (nobody outlawed scale steam ;)). So I fetched myself on over and shot a couple frames.
The LALS boys aren't in this morning so you'll have to settle for their sign, though, and the park line just runs diesel during the week, so no shots there.

Being a gear/lumber modeler in Sn3 myself, the Heisler and the Shay'er my favorites (although the porters're kinda cute).

View attachment 303430
The tag was for a steam engine. Do those loco's run on steam? They'd count then. I saw no restriction on type or size, just "steam engine" with a locomotive pictured :)

Anyway, to paraphrase Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee....

That's not cheating. THIS is cheating!

Here's my bike and my own personal steam engine.
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

Don't believe me? See on the passenger seat? That's a steam engine, and it's all mine!
Water Cloud Sky Fluid Wood

(Well almost mine, the seller of the 8 1.5mm or 2mm screws I need to fit it together still owns them, or will own them sometime in the future if I ever get round to assembling and running this! ;) )

Yes I have a boiler for it, and I assume I still have steam pipes though I'm not sure where they are. Just didn't want the rather sooty boiler (mix of fire tube and water tube) in my box, tyvm!

Now that's cheating at something like this! (at least I did ride a couple of miles away to do the shot)

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
329 Posts
Nice. Where is that ? As kids , we used to play on one in a park. It was on display but still had access to the whole thing. There had been a fence that limited access to just the ...cab? ..but that fence was short and had several holes. It was near Lewis park in Stockton, CA.
That was in Laramie Wyoming.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
498 Posts
A couple of questions folks...

1) What's the current tag? Did @Beggar's post get accepted?

2) It's your guy's summer. Why aren't you out snagging these?
As far as I can tell, @Beggar nabbed the last one with the steam engine, and the target in now a pre-1960 pickup.

Which I haven't been able to get, despite having a very well known classic car cruise here in the area. I see a nice 57 Chevy pickup frequently on my commute, but it's not easy to grab a pic at 50 mph. 😁

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
As far as I can tell, @Beggar nabbed the last one with the steam engine, and the target in now a pre-1960 pickup.

Which I haven't been able to get, despite having a very well known classic car cruise here in the area. I see a nice 57 Chevy pickup frequently on my commute, but it's not easy to grab a pic at 50 mph. 😁
Not a lot of them around these parts either. A car museum an hour up the road but I don't think they'll want the Shadow in the show room.

You could mount a cheap camera somewhere and record your ride ;) Dunno if a cheap phone mount would work, I know my current one lacks in image stabilisation :) (Just need to mount the camera so part of your bike is visible in the shot)

·
Premium Member
1994 Goldwing/2001 Nighthawk
1,059 Posts
2) It's your guy's summer. Why aren't you out snagging these?
It is too dang hot here in Texas.
I have ridden 250 miles in the last 2 1/2 months. With 100°F days for months on end, riding ATGATT can be brutal.
I find it funny for guys north of me when they start talking about putting the bikes away for the winter, that is my prime riding time.
September starts to get more bearable temps, especially in the morning time, October is usually a great month over all, November is usually not too bad.
December starts to get cold, and by January, I don't have proper winter gear for more than 2-3 hours of riding at a time. March starts to warm up, and usually good through May till the hot days of June start.

Most all my riding has just been to and from work (only 6 miles a day) with one 100 mile trip in July, and that was a ride from 7 am to 10 am, and was getting hot and humid when I got home.
Today was going to be my first day in a long time to just go ride, but within 10 minutes of leaving, I realized my alternator was dead, so had to turn around.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It is too dang hot here in Texas.
I have ridden 250 miles in the last 2 1/2 months. With 100°F days for months on end, riding ATGATT can be brutal.
I find it funny for guys north of me when they start talking about putting the bikes away for the winter, that is my prime riding time.
September starts to get more bearable temps, especially in the morning time, October is usually a great month over all, November is usually not too bad.
December starts to get cold, and by January, I don't have proper winter gear for more than 2-3 hours of riding at a time. March starts to warm up, and usually good through May till the hot days of June start.

Most all my riding has just been to and from work (only 6 miles a day) with one 100 mile trip in July, and that was a ride from 7 am to 10 am, and was getting hot and humid when I got home.
Today was going to be my first day in a long time to just go ride, but within 10 minutes of leaving, I realized my alternator was dead, so had to turn around.
It's never fun when you say "yes", the weather says "hell yes", and the bike says "p!ss off!".

I hope it's something simple or at least cheap.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
61 Posts
I know of an auto repair shop in my town, Cumming, Georgia USA. They have several classic looking 1950s or 60s cars in the front parking lot next to the public road. I'll look and see if they have any pickup trucks in that mix the next time I'm passing by.

5601 - 5620 of 5648 Posts