Honda Shadow Forums banner
5661 - 5680 of 5790 Posts

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,219 Posts
Wait, wait, wait...what is the current challenge ? KiwiRider posted a challenge of industrial art. Ironwolf added a bonus pic, noted as "not a grab" of the steam shovel. Beggar added in the float - as an industrial art grab - I think ? or was this also a bonus pic ? My head hurts now

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
Wait, wait, wait...what is the current challenge ? KiwiRider posted a challenge of industrial art. Ironwolf added a bonus pic, noted as "not a grab" of the steam shovel. Beggar added in the float - as an industrial art grab - I think ? or was this also a bonus pic ? My head hurts now
Industrial art by KiwiRider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KiwiRider

· Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
235 Posts
I belive it stands at KiwiRider's "Decorative Engineering", with Ironwolf's post being accepted by Kiwirider. But as Ironwolf seems to've declined his post as a tag, I offered the float as a possibe alternate tag. If KiwiRider accepts it, I'll go ahead and post a challenge. If not, "Decorative Engineering"s still open for a tag.

I think that's where it stands at the moment. :unsure:

· Registered
2,220 Posts
Industrial art by KiwiRider.
"decorative engineering". Could be an old tractor in a playground, or the steam shovel as @Ironwolf posted (assuming that was a pic taken after I'd made the tag, if it's an older pic of course it doesn't count). Anything engineered and used as decoration/signage/scenery :)

Can we run dual challenges? It could get messy, but it could pick up the pace of things too :)

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
229 Posts
Sure, let's call it a partially-built rose parade float. Then when nobody "grabs" a photo with one of those over the next week, then let's pick something else, something more accessible to those of us that don't live in cities that don't have parades with Rose-covered vehicles.

· Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
235 Posts
OK, for those of us who realize the float was a response, not a challenge, here's the challenge. :cool:

How's 'bout a pic of your bike & a bridge local to you that has a history, as well as a pic of the bridge historically (along with a tidbit of info on it perhaps?).

Such as ......
Sky Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt
Sky Tree Black-and-white Style Plant

Opened in 1913, the beautiful Colorado Street Bridge across the Arroyo Seco didn't take long to be referred to locally as Suicide Bridge. We call it that to this day, as it's still occasionally used for the purpose in spite of the recent tall fencing.

The bridge is listed as a historical site, and is closed for an annual celebration on it each December. The eventually required earthquake retrofit kept the style & character intact in the process, and it's still a Pasadena scenic point.

· Registered
2,220 Posts
Bonus material.

In looking to possibly grab this tag today, I thought I'd look for something in the area.

I came across this material :

I'll have to take a jaunt across the Akatarawa road (aka "the Dragon Slayer" - anyone who things the "Tail of the Dragon" is narrow/winding needs to come to NZ and learn what a narrow road really is! :D ). I mention the Aka's because some of it's bridges are a lot older than I realised, and mentioned in the linked doc above. But sadly that road does not go where I need to be today :(

If I can get something I'll post, then have to think of another tag that's not been done recently :)

(Or I could get up early on Tuesday morning and go WAY out of my way to traverse the Akatarawa road while I head to Wanganui, at least an extra 50 miles but the roads are fun... :) )

· Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
235 Posts
Killer link. :cool:

As a rather serious (read "manic" ;)) Sn3 modeler and structural/mechanical engineering buff, I love bridges. So now I'm trying to figure out where I can add that "Ladle Bend" one to my Defiance & Rogue Creek layout. :unsure:

Here's my iteration of the Georgetown Loop High Bridge (originally the Devil's Gate Viaduct) on our Sn3 layout at the Slim Gauge Guild.
Wood Building Interior design Wall Sky

· Registered
2,220 Posts
Killer link. :cool:
I shall try to figure a way to hit one or more of them this week. My riding hours are many but my spare hours are few!

Here's my iteration of the Georgetown Loop High Bridge (originally the Devil's Gate Viaduct) on our Sn3 layout at the Slim Gauge Guild.
Combine the foreground bridge with the curve and the higher background one, and you'll have my "Everybody wants to rule the world" bridge. Wish I had pics of it.

When I was a kid (8 or 9) I'd walk across town to the Model Railway club. We had a curved bridge like a cross between your two on our layout (though I think that had a single central support), probably roughly a model of something somewhere in NZ. We had a very old AM radio in the place (one of the big wooden cabinets maybe the size of a small-medium juke box), and AM radio being what it was back then, you could just about set your watch by the song that was playing.

The doors would be opened at 7pm every Wednesday night, trains put in place and started running, and right around 7:20 a train would be starting on that bridge as the chorus to "Everybody wants to rule the world" would start to play on the radio. Those old guys were pretty much set in their ways and probably did better than Mussolini in getting their trains to run on time :)

I do remember how happy I was to hear that import tariffs were being removed on model railway gear around this time, and I was able to afford to buy me an engine not too long afterwards, instead of something like $2-300 at the time many came down to under $100.

Early November there's a local model railway expo. I must remember to go again (only been 10 years since I last remembered)

At first I thought the mine in your pic looked familiar, but not quite. (Pics from the same expo but 10 years ago)
Vehicle Motor vehicle Toy Rolling stock Building

When I attend, I expect I'll be as deeply focused as this lad below..
Engineering Recreation Championship Event Competition event

No useable pictures of viaducts. The place wasn't the most brightly lit at the time, and I found photographs hard. I remember wishing I could get some time alone with the camera, tripod and good lights. But I'll try to take some pics of bridges this time round if I remember :)

· Registered
229 Posts
So, here's a recap of what the last couple dozen challenges have been. Only real challenges, not whimsical 'what ifs" or bonus pics.

Now: A local and historical bridge.
Before that: Decorative engineering /Industrial art.

Prior to that: visitor center or welcome center.

Before then: large outdoor inflatable.

-- abandoned building in bad disrepair.

-- A large body of water.

-- The middle of nowhere.

-- Old pick up truck prior to 1960.

-- a steam engine.

Before mid-July, 2022:

-- submerged / partly underwater fence.

-- an "unusual body of water."

-- A motorcycle dealer from a different brand than your bike.

--A blacksmith shop.

-- an old cannon (artillery, not a camera!)

-- cemetery/graveyard.

-- sunrise.

-- a road sign (Traffic control, safety, etc.)

-- Old gas station.

-- tunnel.

--County line or state line sign.

-- small brook or stream in rural area.

-- old steam locomotive.

-- old R.R. trestle.

-- auto parts store.

-- a sign with Your name on it.

-- "Danger-High Wind" sign.

-- sign with USACE (US army corps of engineers) logo /image.

-- A government administrative or court building in your town.

-- with a dog (Not Completed).

-- ship or boat.

-- motorcycle safety sign.

-- military tank (I assume other armored and weapons-bearing tracked fighting vehicles, and self-propelled artillery, would suffice too).

before page 277 of this thread,
Nov. 2021:

-- country bookstore.

-- gas station in the middle of nowhere.

-- fire station or firehouse.

-- Porta potty / porta-John

-- (again) A motorcycle dealer not featuring your brand of bike.

-- car wash.
-- farm.
-- something to do with music.
-- a park or nature preserve.
-- antique motor vehicle.

-- courthouse.
-- church with a steeple.
-- wall art or public mural.

-- drive-in theater (Not Completed).

-- Railroad tracks.
-- sign with the word "dollar" in it.
-- old hotel.

-- covered bridges or iron bridges.

That covers every posted challenge
from more than two years ago,
from August 2020, back on page 270,
to present.

· Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
364 Posts
So, here's a recap of what the last couple dozen challenges have been. Only real challenges, not whimsical 'what ifs" or bonus pics.

Now: A local and historical bridge.
Before that: Decorative engineering /Industrial art.

Nov. 2021:

-- country bookstore.

-- gas station in the middle of nowhere.

-- fire station or firehouse.

-- Porta potty / porta-John

-- (again) A motorcycle dealer not featuring your brand of bike.

-- car wash.
-- farm.
-- something to do with music.
-- a park or nature preserve.
-- antique motor vehicle.

-- courthouse.
-- church with a steeple.
-- wall art or public mural.

-- drive-in theater (Not Completed).

-- Railroad tracks.
-- sign with the word "dollar" in it.
-- old hotel.

-- covered bridges or iron bridges.

That covers every posted challenge
from more than two years ago,
from August 2020, back on page 270,
to present.
Sorry for my bonus pic causing so much confusion. Thanks for your work in putting together the list. If I remember right I picked the drive-in but based on swifty's response I changed it to state line. Then someone posted a pic of both grabs. Because I changed it is that why you list it as not completed?

Reactions: KiwiRider

· Registered
229 Posts
Yes, and "not completed" is meant to communicate that this one is still available for somebody to re-name, even if it was named as the tag in the last year or two.

It was neither completed nor given up on after a real try-- after leaving the challenge out there for a reasonable length of time.

· Registered
229 Posts
I took this picture last week from my Honda car. Today I drove towards that 126 year old long-abandoned bridge on my Honda bike...

... but I was a few miles short of that goal when I had electrical problems, a loss of all lights and turn signals except the headlight, followed by overheating of the engine & the overflow tank barfing up coolant on the street.

I will complete this challenge pretty soon.
( I hope) once I fix a few more problems.
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Sky Natural environment

5661 - 5680 of 5790 Posts